E30 headliner removal and refit help

puzzlement13

RMS Regular
Hi,
I've been researching this the last few days with mixed feedback. Hoping to remove the headliner without removing glass in one piece and not ripped, also to be able to refit too...
Has anyone done this recently or at all that can give me any tips or how to?

tiw30

RMS Regular
The only way you will remove the headlining in an E30 without removing glass is if it is a touring, but as most have a sunroof you will have to remove the sunroof and at least undo most of the mechanism. If its a saloon you will need to remove both front and rear screens which is really quite easy getting them out and in just a bit of a pain refitting the locking strip if you have a two door with fixed side windows instead of pop outs they will need to come out.

Its a handy job but a bit time consuming, the head cloth will come out if it is a black one from a sport or is but if its beige / white good luck I don't think it will survive (different material) and brace yourself for what you find underneath

puzzlement13

RMS Regular
OP
puzzlement13
The only way you will remove the headlining in an E30 without removing glass is if it is a touring, but as most have a sunroof you will have to remove the sunroof and at least undo most of the mechanism. If its a saloon you will need to remove both front and rear screens which is really quite easy getting them out and in just a bit of a pain refitting the locking strip if you have a two door with fixed side windows instead of pop outs they will need to come out.

Its a handy job but a bit time consuming, the head cloth will come out if it is a black one from a sport or is but if its beige / white good luck I don't think it will survive (different material) and brace yourself for what you find underneath

Sounds fun..
Mine has Black headliner, coupe, non pop out and sunroof.. I'm expecting unpleasantness as its gathering water anytime it rains, but the sunroof doesn't work so wanted to remove it to fix or find a solution. I think I'll wait until its in a garage. Thanks for the info.
Are you clued up e30 wise? Just if I could ask some other questions if possible!

tiw30

RMS Regular
Yes no problems, you will need to get the sunroof open to remove the headlining, if you have any leaks in the car expect rust on the sunroof cassette especially at the front at the drains, could be why it doesn't open if someone has sealed it up they have done it to stop water getting through the seal which isn't really there to stop water or to hide the fact that the drains have rotted out. has the roof ever opened in your ownership and is there any visable rust or blisters on the roof. Any questions send me a PM and I will pass on my number

Last edited: