e32 750iL Calypso Red

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
Whats the cost of making your own deep dish wheels? Iirc you had some schnitzers for sale?
I’m not sure, I’d rather just sell them than start butchering them. The single piece and 3 piece Schnitzers are very different

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
The car was mot'd when I bought it, but I hadn't time to do anything with it being at uni etc so I stored it giving the odd start here and there. The cold starts were showing their effects on the engine so I decided a bit of a refresh was needed.
This started out as a service but it snowballed a bit

M70/M72 v12s suffer from vacuum leaks. One of the main causes is the 6 intake gaskets they have. The rubber becomes hard and brittle, so people usually take them off, clean them and reseal them providing they aren't badly damaged. They are £150 a pop from bmw and there are no after market ones available

Lockdown happened, so the stripping began.. after removing a lot of skin from my knuckles I lifted out the cooling system, just to make life a lot less painful. Its surprising how big your hands feel when working around a v12..

1599518725241.png

You can see just how stinking the gaskets are, and everything in general haha

1599518726054.png

1599519731272.png
1599518867320.png

Since I was in there I decided to pull the rocker covers. Its common for the rear bolts on the oil feed line to go lose over time. In some cases they've actually come off and starved the engine of oil leading to failure !
1599519063126.png

I was able to turn the rear oil feed bolt on each side by with my hand... So good job I lifted the covers off
1599519206080.png

Once I start rebuilding I will torque to bolts back to spec

I sent the rocker covers off to get powder coated in matt black since the silver tends to turn a dirty yellow over time. I am also going to refinish the intake manifolds after I clean out all the crap thats gathered in them from the last 26 years
1599519533323.png

While the rocker covers were away getting powder coated I changed the spark plugs. Even with the intake manifolds off it was still a tight squeeze to get to some of them. Its almost impossible to get to the first 1 in each side with the car built back up. Most of the time dealers/garages don't bother replacing them. I was glad when I found they were just as dirty as the rest :joy: and the same make, so I assume they were changed in the last service

I done this over lockdown. I started working from home shortly after I began this little project in April, so the next few updates should have more detail in them since they will be as and when I do the jobs. Finally started back into it on Friday/Sat when various gaskets and stuff arrived

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
See, I need to learn to make excuse like this when people post adverts of wheels that would suit my car! 🤣🤣
Haha it’s a safe excuse because they never come up for sale and when they do it’s £1500+
I have parallels for it anyway

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Haha it’s a safe excuse because they never come up for sale and when they do it’s £1500+
I have parallels for it anyway
Oh yea, it’s definitely a safe excuse, I just need to think of similar ones! Lol. Though I doubt I could be changed from the BBS’s now!

AND NO PEOPLE, that is not a challenge! Lol

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
Got the rocker covers back from the powder coaters. He must have left them outside and the insides where a right mess. But after a bit of scrubbing they came up well
Before fitting I gave everything a good clean

tempImagejUS5Od.png

There was some sludgy crap in around the engine as shown below...

tempImageA3gZXv.png

Spent a long time cleaning all that off. Also made sure the cams where nice and clean before refitting the covers. Its amazing the amount of dust that can sneak through a closed bonnet and towels

New gaskets from BMW

tempImageeYyRsZ.png

IMG_6704.jpg

Both sides fitted

IMG_6722.PNG

Next up was sealing the intake gaskets. They were stinking in carbon and general crap. They are £150 each so I decided to clean them up and see if they were worth re installing.. and they were

tempImagei9FWz0.png
tempImageyEiD8T.png

Added a fine film of sealer on the intake ports and the gaskets and torqued everything up to spec

c0022eca-f136-47ef-a061-def3ecceb689.JPG

IMG_8010.JPG

Spent more time cleaning in around the engine than actually fitting parts. Its now been hours and a lot of carbon cleaner haha. And from looking at that last photo I still have more to do.. although there seems to be some weird surface corrosion on the aluminium that doesn't come off. It wasn't on the intake ports which was the main thing

IMG_8012.JPG

I also replaced all the high/low pressure fuel pipes, vac lines and emission hoses. All reinstalled using new clips

So next up is refitting the intake manifolds. Currently cleaning them, so hopefully I will get them refinished soon and installed so I can hear this v12 purr again

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
Got a box of bits from BMW

F1DAC1AA-B898-410E-BAA6-8AC9D608F9BB.jpeg

I had a coolant leak before I started work on the e32. I had a suspicion it was pipe 12, as it runs directly from the expansion tank so it's always full of coolant.

CF5763C8-BB24-45EA-B904-C7FC361060D5.jpeg

The old expansion tank was that brittle it actually broke inside the pipe and bits of plastic became lodged in the pipe that I couldn't get out. So I decided to replace it. Cost a fortune and came all the way from Germany but its here now and its on! Delayed progress this week but it’s a job that can only be done with the intakes off, so it was now or never.
I had to to remove the rocker cover again to fit it and other coolant pipes since it was so hard to access
I decided to remove the other rocker cover again to make sure everything was spotless
Just to keep track of part numbers I’ll post them on here

B3E7FBFB-6B8E-48A3-BEA8-3887D54E7F4B.jpeg

Refinished the intake manifolds. Really pleased with how they turned out. Next job is fitting them

E5EA43C3-44EC-4629-B2B0-FD3C49FA518D.jpeg

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
After a lot of cleaning I was ready for the intake manifolds

tempImageP32Dvx.png

Intake manifolds fitted, with gasket sealer applied

IMG_8416.JPG

I was cleaning up the throttle bodies and noticed one of them wasn't working very well. If I pressed it open it barely closed.. very slow and sticky. Which is strange as these symptoms would cause the care to over rev in one bank of cylinders which it didn't do. I decided to take it apart and clean it despite bmws best efforts at fitting tamper proof screw!

As you can see, everything was clogged with carbon
tempImageRsb8fX.png
tempImageTndaBY.png
tempImageDzUWQs.png

tempImageEukoPU.png

As you can see, the brushes were not in contact with the motor. Meaning this throttle body wasn't working at all! That explains the lack of power then. You are probably thinking if the car was down a bank of cylinders you would notice just by listening to it? well, not really.. since it works of 2 banks of 6 cyls, when one bank is down the engine still sounds silky smooth since theres still 1 bank of 6 cyls running. V12s are notorious for hiding problems like this .. they are very hard to diagnose misfires, the joys of balanced crank and banks

So this is what the brushes should have looked like ..

tempImageEDyWPU.png

Everything else was cleaned up and reassembled

tempImageAmre9Y.png

Currently tiding up the rest of the engine bay. Particularly where the radiator sits. It is black with crap and there is some surface rust where the mounts were attached. Car is now running, I pulled the fuses of the fuel pumps and let it turn over for 30 seconds to build up the oil pressure. Only had it going briefly as the rad was disconnected

Last edited:

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
Degreased the engine using a lot of this stuff

C786634B-AD69-4E87-A6FE-21E8AF85082A.jpeg

Always hid the front part from any pics because it was so bad 😂. Someone must have put Waxoyl or something on it. Absolute nightmare to get off, but I got there with the steamer and air compressor

Also fitted my new coolant tank from bm
The old one broke inside the coolant pipe which I also replaced last week

C52CB84A-19F1-44F8-8EFF-51B6990BB90B.jpeg

BDB2B047-4F2C-419C-BF55-DFDACA6CC16D.jpeg
72040F26-3E07-462B-92E1-85F8DC2F28C9.jpeg

347012D2-25C5-440B-9168-E78237EF1143.jpeg
26865E18-77EA-468F-97AE-28D4EE4DB261.jpeg

Last edited:

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
@Steve750 Spotted this earlier, only 72k miles. Some interesting other stuff in their showroom too.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
@Steve750 Spotted this earlier, only 72k miles. Some interesting other stuff in their showroom too.

I love dealers like that which have a real mix of cool stuff!

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
@Gaz that one is gorgeous. It’s not helping my want for a black one either, but I think I’ll stick with what I’ve started.

Reactions: Gaz