E39 520i

PieMan1

RMS Regular
Hey all,

thought I would introduce my "new" e39. Always like the shape of these & since my diesel ibiza was getting about 30mpg on the trip to work I decided to get a cheap petrol for cruising about in.

Abit of spec as is.

2.2 I (145k)
Recently serviced ( Will need to check to confirm)
Style 71's
ccv delete
Alpina front splitter
Coilovers.

Few minor niggles to sort out..

brings up the traction light randomly, goes off a short time after.
rear brake light ( easy sorted )

all in all fairly tidy example. I intend to tidy it up and use it abit.

any advice/suggestions welcome as always.
Snapchat-973457419.jpg
Screenshot_20210208-090050_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210208-090034_Facebook.jpg
received_4165446926817770.jpeg
received_413849659909148.jpeg

if anyone wants a beat out tdi with a good few go fast bits hit me up.

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
Good call that, wasnt sure about some of the others on your 'what car' list. The interior is unique
Haha, Like what car? yeah its a nice play to be considering the age of it.

easier to find out if I like bmw's with a cheap one instead of plumping for a newer 320 etc

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Love the blue interior - reminds me of the early 90's when dad was trying to decide between a red top Calibra, Cav GSI, 190E Merc and an E36. The Vauxhalls came fairly well kitted out with LCD trip computers, black leather interior and the GSI had rear heater vents and electric windows in the back (a big deal for a young fella in the 90's) whereas the German yokes had hub caps, keep fit windows and either Advocado green, baby boke beige or cookie monster blue (not their official designation) fabric interiors. I'm almost sure the German cars also only came with radio player - a cassette player was extra. He went for the Calibra in the end, which burst into flames on the M1 about 18 months later and was replaced with a long succession of 5 series'.

Anyway, needless to say when something like this pops up with a proper 90's interior it brings back a few memories.

At least it's a 6 banger :joy:

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
That is lovely!! Those wheels are epic! Health to drive.
appreciate it mate.

will do a swap for your wheels ;)
Love the blue interior - reminds me of the early 90's when dad was trying to decide between a red top Calibra, Cav GSI, 190E Merc and an E36. The Vauxhalls came fairly well kitted out with LCD trip computers, black leather interior and the GSI had rear heater vents and electric windows in the back (a big deal for a young fella in the 90's) whereas the German yokes had hub caps, keep fit windows and either Advocado green, baby boke beige or cookie monster blue (not their official designation) fabric interiors. I'm almost sure the German cars also only came with radio player - a cassette player was extra. He went for the Calibra in the end, which burst into flames on the M1 about 18 months later and was replaced with a long succession of 5 series'.

Anyway, needless to say when something like this pops up with a proper 90's interior it brings back a few memories.

At least it's a 6 banger :joy:
I actually am quite fond of the blue dash etc.

seats might have to go for msport leather of some description .

6 banger and wonderfully slow. lol

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
Morning all,

went to put air in the tyres as I haven't and found out that 2 were sub 15 psi and the others weren't much better. drives far smoother now with air in the tyres... shocker. noticed one of the bolts for wheels has gone missing? are these proper 3/2 piece wheels? and where could I get a bolt like that? it has a spare style 72 could I take one from that? excuse the silliness of the question as I've never had a set of wheels like this...
Snapchat-371821429.jpg

On another note, the alarm keeps going off if locked? no audible alarm nose just indicators going off etc? is this an easy fix? I've been told the bonnet switch is common.

apart from that its going good. just need a nice day to get it cleaned and polished.

colin84

RMS Regular
Morning all,

went to put air in the tyres as I haven't and found out that 2 were sub 15 psi and the others weren't much better. drives far smoother now with air in the tyres... shocker. noticed one of the bolts for wheels has gone missing? are these proper 3/2 piece wheels? and where could I get a bolt like that? it has a spare style 72 could I take one from that? excuse the silliness of the question as I've never had a set of wheels like this...
View attachment 311844
On another note, the alarm keeps going off if locked? no audible alarm nose just indicators going off etc? is this an easy fix? I've been told the bonnet switch is common.

apart from that its going good. just need a nice day to get it cleaned and polished.

I would think the wheels are genuine. Can you see any threads inside the hole?

Also just unplug the sensor under the bonnet and see if that stops the alarm going off.

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
I would think the wheels are genuine. Can you see any threads inside the hole?

Also just unplug the sensor under the bonnet and see if that stops the alarm going off.
Will check for threading etc. if its not structural to the wheel ill drive it on.

Yeah ill do that. Assuming it fixes a new switch would be the cure?
The wheels are genuine, they are just stick on bolts afaik.

My dad had them refurbed 4 or 5 years ago lol
Happy days.

In need of another refurb asap lol.

colin84

RMS Regular
Will check for threading etc. if its not structural to the wheel ill drive it on.

Yeah ill do that. Assuming it fixes a new switch would be the cure?

Happy days.

In need of another refurb asap lol.

I don't think 1 bolt will be detrimental to the wheel, best to replace it anyway.

As for the sensor, a replacement should solve it, but I just left mine disconnected.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Morning all,

View attachment 311844

Those wheels are nice too!!

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
I don't think 1 bolt will be detrimental to the wheel, best to replace it anyway.

As for the sensor, a replacement should solve it, but I just left mine disconnected.
Will give that a try, as long as there is no warning lights ill just leave it disconnected
Those wheels are nice too!!
I like them but would prefer a set of parrels but they are big coin. or style 66's .

colin84

RMS Regular
Actually, looking at your wheels the centres appear to be separate from the rim, so I would say they are genuine split rims with proper bolts.

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
Some difference between this and the other stuff you were considering.

I had a 525i back in the day, great bus.
Correct, Had to give my head a shake , im still quite young and I couldn't get full comprehensive for the motors I was looking at which if I was financing would of been a big risk, so going to try some more "interesting" choices for a bit until my insurance is down abit.
I like style 66's. and shadow line trim around the windows too.

WHERE IS THAT 306 NOW? :eek:

'96dc2

RMS Regular
I bought this off Pete, only sold it as I decided to keep the 530d I had. It’s a good example and should be even better when you sort those few small issues and refurb the wheels. 👍

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
E38 parallels would transform it 👌🏻
Could always lend me your parallels. hardly like that 750 is moving anytime soon... ;)
I bought this off Pete, only sold it as I decided to keep the 530d I had. It’s a good example and should be even better when you sort those few small issues and refurb the wheels. 👍
Good enough example I think.

Would love a wheel change but all bmw wheels have seemed to gone through the roof price wise :worried: