E39 BMW 530i M Sport

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Autoline originally said no when I emailed them. I emailed back and asked if there was anything at all they could do but didn't get a response. But then once I'd agreed to buy the car I phoned them and finally got through to someone. I just said I wanted to add the car to my existing policy and she took all the details and put me on hold. I expected the answer to be no again but she came back and said, "because it's not 20 years old yet it is a little more expensive - it will be an additional £100" to which I immediately agreed before they changed their mind again...

Thats what I was going to suggest! It turns out then I had a similar experience and it was also an extra 100 quid to insure a 2001 car. Like yourself I was very happy with that.

SlowRider

RMS Regular
If anyone is wondering about the car changing owners fairly quickly recently it's not because it's a lemon. It was the best car I've owned but I got a new job and was given a company vehicle which includes personal mileage. I sold it to a chap called Steve who said he would sell it on as soon as he found a good 540i. (The 540i has a steering box rather than rack and pinion which makes it a worse driving car and a BMW 6 is one of the smoothest production engines out there. Poor choice Steve). Obviously the latest owner has his own reasons for moving the car on but I don't think you'd find a better driving car for the money, excluding the mighty mx5.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
He changed his mind and doesn't want a 540i anymore - he's after a Z4 now as a retirement gift to himself.

Like you say it really is a great car. Makes driving a pleasure.

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
F10 530d
Thread revival!

I picked this up from @Bryan back in August to use for Daily Duties, I was getting a bit bored with 3/4 cylinder French hatchbacks everyday and didn't want another Diesel so man maths decided this was a great idea! I'll continue to update this thread rather than post another.

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

It drives so well, especially for a now 17 year old car, I think the early 2000's were when BMW were at their best, the build quality in both of mine is fantastic. I really notice it now when getting in and out of some of the more modern BMW's!

Plans were just to modernise this a little bit and waft about in comfort, so first thing on the to do list was update the radio. Installed a Kenwood Apple CarPlay unit and all the extra connectors so I can still use the steering wheel controls. Got rid of the silly UK plates and gave it a quick clean.

Since then I've just been maintaining it really, replaced a brake calliper, battery and a buckled rear wheel. Put some fresh Pirelli P-Zero's on the rear as they were getting near the limit too.

Of course, obligatory turntable shot!

IMG_2680.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2687.JPG

I thought the car was a little too quiet, so removed the humongous rear backbox and replaced it with a twin tip - sounds much better now but thankfully isn't droney or intrusive. I've since taken the english reg off and replaced it with an NI reg to match our A8. I shouldn't really rev it from a cold start, but such is the joy with this car - I'm not too fussy about it!

Next up now that I've some time off is Audio & attempt to bring the paint up a bit, I've speakers ordered to replace everything in the car. The ones currently in the car are done, sounds awful. Will post some pics when I've fitted them. The paintwork is really the only thing that lets this car down, it's had some bad paint in the past and doesn't look like it's seen any polish in a while. Going to dust off the DA and see if I can bring it up any - I've nothing to lose but I've a feeling it will need paint at some stage.

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
F10 530d
Got round to fitting the new speakers over the last few days, started off with the rear speakers which are situated behind the rear headrests - easy to get at....

IMG_3254.JPG

IMG_3255.JPG

Over all the old speakers weren't in the worst condition but just tired, the car was really missing some mid range sound. I opted for Pioneer all round, mainly because they weren't too expensive. I ordered a set of coaxial for the rear and components for the front doors.

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3261.JPG

All was pretty straight forward, no changing of connecters / joining cables needed. The speaker pod things just use spade terminals at the actual speaker so were easy installed.

After getting everything back together and kicking myself that I didn't re-dye the purple parcel shelf whilst it was out I decided it was too cold to attempt the fronts outside, took it in to work instead. Much handier, drier and warmer.

IMG_3290.JPG

IMG_3284.JPG

Again the front speakers sit in strange pod things but once everything was stripped out again it's all very straight forward to replace the door speaker, the tweeter was a little more effort though. I knew it had a different connection into the pod but there was too many options on ebay, just decided to join those cables instead. Solder join/Heatshrink all in one is a lifesaver, much handier! Tweeter was then glued into place as they didn't fit within the original bracket.

IMG_3286.JPG

IMG_3287.JPG

The speakers must have been more tired than I thought, it sounds much better now. Much clearer sound and much better at the mid/low ranges. - A worthwhile £52.

Next up is a good clean and polish, although I keep putting that off due to the state of the roads! Would like to get the engine bay degreased and cleaned too, as mentioned earlier in the thread there's still a smell of oil when warm. The rocker cover has been resealed previously and is still weeping ever so slightly so I'll have to address that too.

However, it still wafts along delightfully.

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
F10 530d
Opened the BMW wing of our garage this week...
Just approaching the 100k mark on the 530i so time for some maintenance and MOT prep whilst tidying up the subframe, bushes, arms and general underside of the M3 before some summer driving!

C11390B1-4E32-494A-84DD-DFA770114DCE.jpeg

First job on the E39 was to sort the rocker cover gasket, weeping ever so slightly but unfortunately right at the fan so was misting oil everywhere. Picked up a new gasket from JKC and got everything removed - didn’t quite go straight forward from there. We found signs of the CCV blocking and so when bothering to replace the gasket may as well sort it properly, so off came the manifold too...

0A8B61D2-601C-461A-BC76-AF7F073C99EB.jpeg

7C28B946-FE43-4EB8-B70C-187968ABA318.jpeg

Everything else after this was fairly routine, Oil/Filter, Air/Micro filters and Spark plugs replaced with BMW items and brake fluid flushed and changed. I think it had been a while going by the colour of it..

BD84EDD5-9DB7-4154-8566-793A156E0B80.jpeg

1843E639-7F67-46BC-BBF8-C01C42774C57.jpeg

Finally also got the chance to try and clean the paintwork up a bit too. As the car has seen some dodgey paint in the past I realised I was never going to achieve a perfect finish but wanted it a little more presentable. Decided to try Auto Finesse all in one compound followed by Auto Finesse Tripple, pleasantly surprised by the results.
5B0A059E-30AA-4C52-8A40-2922FDCB2F0E.jpeg

72582A5C-AEF7-46D0-BA98-A8B76A5561EB.jpeg

CD502551-547B-4C38-ADCD-1FF62BBAB654.jpeg

5B1BF623-BDBD-4561-B0BA-91A0B8BFC8F4.jpeg

Looking slightly better now and still performing daily duties fantastically. I have also since replaced the broken fog light!

D3D2C66A-042F-4415-999B-CA853EE3C14D.jpeg

9FFBD126-6040-4093-B604-BC571CF7178E.jpeg

D77BA98E-3B40-47A2-9FD5-09B4CC268FA1.jpeg

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT TSI
Never knew that BMW used Bosch plugs as well as NGK as OE for the l6 & V8 of the time.

Bought a 525i winter beater last year with with 153k miles and it still had the original BMW ??/01 year stamped spark plugs in it!!

Most rubber and plastic parts from a 100k miles+ aside the M54's are a fairly unburstable motor

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
F10 530d
Not a huge update but the E39 is still wafting along fantastically. Obligatory Metro plate fitted and nearly 9k covered from the last post with no issues - so nearly due its service again, thankfully just an Oil change this time!

Still wasn't satisfied with the audio so have recently fitted a hidden underseat subwoofer which has really improved the sound. I have purchased a set of staggered M-Parallel alloys too, looking forward to getting them fitted too.

a few pictures from JKC's Autos und Kaffee today:

JKC Coleraine Autos und Kaffee by Jamie Graham, on Flickr

JKC Coleraine Autos und Kaffee by Jamie Graham, on Flickr

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
F10 530d
2022 Update.

Finally got a set of M-Parallels, albeit replicas without the 9" rear, but they still look good.

Another 10k covered so Oil & Filter service carried out just before Christmas, picked up a new key from JKC also. Nice to have two keys again! Theres been a slight vibration creeping into the rear of the car above 50mph, upon inspection the rear arms on the driver side have a bit of play in them so will be replaced in the next week or two. Beginning to deliberate changing again, but we'll see. It really does waft about so well.

E39 530i MParallels
by Jamie Graham, on Flickr

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Looks well mate. Keen to know what you'd be after if you were selling. Don't have anything with enough cylinders currently :worried:

E4mon

RMS Regular
Also keen to hear when you’re selling… I’d love another E39 and am ready for a change

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
F10 530d
Driver side rear arms changed and some new tyres on the rear and it's driving brilliantly again. However I've picked up another Clio 182 for some fun, so time for this to go now.

Managed a blast around the coast road on a quiet, clear Friday not so long ago - It looks much much better on Parallels, also really can surprise you when needed on empty roads, as my front numberplate may show...:laughing:

Had hoped to get cleaned and photographed this weekend but rain/rugby got in the way, so reg will come off during the week and then up for sale (y)

CFF43C3D-2918-4389-8866-39906250C1DC.JPG

478A5E86-AF15-4862-AD48-17B7C53CEC09.JPG

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Driver side rear arms changed and some new tyres on the rear and it's driving brilliantly again. However I've picked up another Clio 182 for some fun, so time for this to go now.

Managed a blast around the coast road on a quiet, clear Friday not so long ago - It looks much much better on Parallels, also really can surprise you when needed on empty roads, as my front numberplate may show...:laughing:

Had hoped to get cleaned and photographed this weekend but rain/rugby got in the way, so reg will come off during the week and then up for sale (y)

View attachment 349678

View attachment 349679

Nice, can you fire me the details as well please.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
This car has to be the best car I've ever owned. Still can't believe how well it drove - it was better than my brand new Tiguan at the time. Looks amazing on those new wheels. I just wish I could afford to buy it back but it's one of those cars that only goes up in value - especially in the condition that this one is in.