E39 owners, what sidelights are you running?

'96dc2

RMS Regular
Need a set of sidelights for an e39, seemly they come with a new holder as 1 unit? Have these been discontinued? Cant seem to find a standard replacement.

Mine had been replaced with eBay LED specials by the looks of it and they are 1) crap and 2) are putting the indicators on constantly. Can anyone with an s39 let me know what they are using.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Need a set of sidelights for an e39, seemly they come with a new holder as 1 unit? Have these been discontinued? Cant seem to find a standard replacement.

Mine had been replaced with eBay LED specials by the looks of it and they are 1) crap and 2) are putting the indicators on constantly. Can anyone with an s39 let me know what they are using.
Get inline load resistors to combat the indicators coming on. It's doing that because it thinks the bulbs are blown.

'96dc2

RMS Regular
OP
'96dc2
Get inline load resistors to combat the indicators coming on. It's doing that because it thinks the bulbs are blown.
Yeah, seen that after I had posted. Ordered a set of sidelights off m3cutters. Hopefully they won’t cause an issue.

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
I’ve got 40watt angel eyes. Big difference from the 6watt ones I had in the 520
They were £40
I don’t have any light errors. They flash on start up which is expected from any led alternatives

If you wanted to take it a step further you could split the headlight, remove the halos and install Orion V4s I think they are called.
547D439B-AABA-4EFE-B569-311736F2F7E8.png

'96dc2

RMS Regular
OP
'96dc2
I’ll see how I get on with the LED’s I’ve ordered. I didn’t care about the indicators being on, but the mot man didn’t agree.

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Am I right in saying the oem units are discontinued?
I’m not sure. Very few e39s came with xenons. I don’t know if it’s a plug and play upgrade like the e38. You need headlight washers for the mot with xenons. Auto levelling is another requirement
I fitted them to my e38 which was plug and play and it had factory washers so I get away with it

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
If you intend on keeping the car a decent length of time, and are going to be opening them up. I'd highly recommend one of the kits below. But the light output and pattern is outstanding. I know, as I retro fitted the same units to my insignia.

MOT might not like it though, I swap my whole headlights every MOT so dunno if mine would pass.

Interestingly, my sisters Alfa159 passed no problem with xenon dipped beams and LED main beams.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
The sidelight doesn't normally use 501s, it has a small pointed bayonet type bulb that are quite hard to get out - not meant to be removed from the standard holder, but they can be, sometimes.

Gemma

RMS Regular
I removed mine no problem. Literally just like pushed the bulb side ways and it came out lol is this your holder?
received_1326314110816357.jpeg

received_1323479764433125.jpeg

Gemma

RMS Regular
I have this sitting on my spare bedroom. I bought it off eBay and can't remember why I didn't put it in the car lol just had a wiggle and got that one out too. Was abit harder compared the one in my car but trick is to push down and wiggle it about lol (that's what she said)

IMG_20190721_095153.jpg
IMG_20190721_095209.jpg
IMG_20190721_095244.jpg
IMG_20190721_095530.jpg

'96dc2

RMS Regular
OP
'96dc2

Gemma

RMS Regular
@'96dc2 yea Gona keep it because now that I've acknowledged that it's there, the car will throw a fit and I'll end up needing it lol
That seems to be them!