E46 320d Touring

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
I see the Corsa’s back up for sale but I didn’t know the thing about the dark head lining being an ES trait - I always assumed it was an optional extra.

Just as an aside if you stick the E46’s VIN into mdecoder.com it’ll tell you everything the car left the factory with.
Ooohhhh guess what I’ll be doing after I home school the kids lol

JH86

RMS Regular
Wait...is this the one Craig had??

Ding ding ding I think the penny's dropped

IMG_20200325_201144.jpg

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
Nice buddy always fancied a touring e46 after the coupes and one saloon I had shape still looks well health to play with

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
I see the Corsa’s back up for sale but I didn’t know the thing about the dark head lining being an ES trait - I always assumed it was an optional extra.

Just as an aside if you stick the E46’s VIN into mdecoder.com it’ll tell you everything the car left the factory with.
Just did this, claims it was fitted with a multifunction m-sport steering wheel originally. Might have to pull the covers off to see if the wiring is still there and might retrofit it if it was the case.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
@Paul. have you experience with the mdecoder website? Or has anyone else?

My query is that on my spec list according to the website it states: S692 Preparation, BMW 6Changer I-Bus

My interpretation is that the car is prepped for a 6disc changer but hasn’t had it fitted.

I pulled the head unit out today but there appears to be no wiring visible, that I can see anyway...

Boksic

RMS Regular
Cd changer is behind a side panel in the boot as far as I remember mate, that'd be the place I'd be checking for wiring 👍🏼
Think a lot of people use the android units in these now so might be worth looking into if you're gonna keep this for a bit? Great motors, and still look great if you can keep the arch rust under control 👍🏼

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
Cd changer is behind a side panel in the boot as far as I remember mate, that'd be the place I'd be checking for wiring 👍🏼
Think a lot of people use the android units in these now so might be worth looking into if you're gonna keep this for a bit? Great motors, and still look great if you can keep the arch rust under control 👍🏼
Aye I’ve a single din headunit here that’s dab ready and would better suit my wants anyway, as I plan to upgrade the speakers and stick in the sub I had in my Vectra.
I also plan to rub down the archers and see if I can get them blown in.

Cheers @Mr.Mint

Paul.

RMS Regular
@Paul. have you experience with the mdecoder website? Or has anyone else?

My query is that on my spec list according to the website it states: S692 Preparation, BMW 6Changer I-Bus

My interpretation is that the car is prepped for a 6disc changer but hasn’t had it fitted.

I pulled the head unit out today but there appears to be no wiring visible, that I can see anyway...

I believe cars not fitted with a disc changer have the capabilities for one, making that a default rather than an optional extra. If it's fitted in the same way as on an E90, the disc changer will be in the boot on the left, and it won't work. The actual cartridge with the holder for the discs gives bother, from what I've seen. Since you have a radio with DAB, you probably also have USB and aux in the radio too - all the less reason for CDs. :joy:

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
I’m still waiting on my other filters arriving, including the new Vortex style crank case filter. Ordered oil today from ECP, making use of their latest sale, but expecting a day or twos wait, it arrived less than an hour after ordering!

JUST WISH THE FILTERS WOULD HURRY UP!! Lol.

Did a test fit of the TD Tuning box that I bought recently from @vtrman and it seemed to work ok, though I’ve yet to take a proper drive with it fitted, however I want to wait until after I’ve it serviced so that I can see if there’s any difference in performance with a good service and then see the difference afterwards with the tuning box.

I’ve the tailgate partially stripped down as well to find out why the rear wiper and washer aren’t working. Fuses are fine however I have found that the shaft on the tailgate glass is siezed, but even with the tailgate glass up the motor still isn’t turning. I’ve yet to check if there’s power to the motor.

I’ve also to strip the drivers inner quarter to see if there’s power going to the rear washer jet motor.

I jacked her up to see if I can find the source of a rattle in the exhaust system, suspecting it to be a loose heat shield, but everything is intact leadingme to believe that the rattle is inside the rear silencer itself. I’ll just turn the radio up for now lol!

colin84

RMS Regular
I’m still waiting on my other filters arriving, including the new Vortex style crank case filter. Ordered oil today from ECP, making use of their latest sale, but expecting a day or twos wait, it arrived less than an hour after ordering!

JUST WISH THE FILTERS WOULD HURRY UP!! Lol.

Did a test fit of the TD Tuning box that I bought recently from @vtrman and it seemed to work ok, though I’ve yet to take a proper drive with it fitted, however I want to wait until after I’ve it serviced so that I can see if there’s any difference in performance with a good service and then see the difference afterwards with the tuning box.

I’ve the tailgate partially stripped down as well to find out why the rear wiper and washer aren’t working. Fuses are fine however I have found that the shaft on the tailgate glass is siezed, but even with the tailgate glass up the motor still isn’t turning. I’ve yet to check if there’s power to the motor.

I’ve also to strip the drivers inner quarter to see if there’s power going to the rear washer jet motor.

I jacked her up to see if I can find the source of a rattle in the exhaust system, suspecting it to be a loose heat shield, but everything is intact leadingme to believe that the rattle is inside the rear silencer itself. I’ll just turn the radio up for now lol!

Sometimes the wires from the car into tailgate can fray with wear.

Also are you sure the style is definitely in the exhaust, the shields behind the brake discs tend to rattle. Just something worth checking.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
Sometimes the wires from the car into tailgate can fray with wear.

Also are you sure the style is definitely in the exhaust, the shields behind the brake discs tend to rattle. Just something worth checking.
Yea I had her running whilst I was under her checking and when I put weight on the exhaust the rattle quietens down a little. The rubber hangers aren’t in the best shape but are supporting it. I had my hands over the top of the exhaust silencers where I can’t see and felt nothing loose or hanging/touching.

Yea I’ve read that about the tailgate wiring, but before I start stripping the rubber covers back to get at the wires, I want to make sure that there’s no power getting to the motor, as I have to strip away part of the hinge assembly to get at the loom.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
Today the wiring harness arrived to allow me to fit my DAB headunit. That along with the facia adapter supplied by @j44nty and the DAB aerial supplied by @mark19 made sure I was able to stick it all in and enjoy.
B02CD2C9-3EBB-42D9-A478-EE7DC855CCED.jpeg
B3DBE6FF-1876-4411-A042-8B994BB2AD84.jpeg

It also has hands free and “Siri Eyes Free” capabilities which means I can now send and receive texts and take phone calls whilst on the move.

Now all I need is a wiring kit, some MDF and then I can start on the boot build! :grinning: