Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Consider it character building lol.
Good luck with it.

And nice car BTW, much more age appropriate than the corsa!
Lol @ character building! It’s certainly challenging and yes as you say much more age appropriate, beginning to also think I’m too auld for this working at cars sh1te! Lol

#e46life mate :worried:
#yolo lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I stopped huffing with the car long enough to remove the old front pipe and for the new one. You can see by the spot that the flexi was definitely split and was the cause of my annoying exhaust rattle.
ACFD6867-8712-4FD8-B8D7-A8B94E59054F.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Decat time
Front decat supplied by @chapletown was fitted today mate (y)

0C15E81F-E454-429E-B865-62EC12A562BC.jpeg

Same reasoning behind me having no rear section of my exhaust 🙈🤣

Went to swap the hangers for powerflex variants, and one stud from each hanger snapped. Said feck it and grinded the back box off as the nuts at the flanges were rusted solid 🤣
Brilliant! :joy:

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Had the same happen on my E46 when doing the control arm bushings, heat is going to be your friend here. With plenty of heat it came out nicely with the moles on it, in my case

At least it's driver side away from the fuel lines

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Had the same happen on my E46 when doing the control arm bushings, heat is going to be your friend here. With plenty of heat it came out nicely with the moles on it, in my case

At least it's driver side away from the fuel lines
Yea possibly going to go on a road trip today to get some gas for my little blow torch.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
While on your road trip maybe look for two nuts that are slim enough that you could thread onto the broken bolt and lock them against each other. Then you could use those to undo after heat if the grips aren't cutting it

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Only seeing this now after I’ve been out lol. Got a gas can but my burner is past it and won’t stay lit. So I started to drill the bolt, started with a 2mm bit and going up in .5mm steps. Then broke a 3mm bit up inside the bolt so far up that I can’t get at it. Blunted the 3.5mm bit trying to force it on up, broke the 2mm and 1.5mm bits trying to drill round/past it.

Car is a real headache now!

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
I laugh. But I feel your pain dude.
Itll be sorted, but sometimes cars are a royal pita!

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
That was going to break regardless.
Weld a nut on that if possible. Fortunate that at least it's protruding quite a bit. The heat of the welding helps loads.

Sounds a bit late for that 🙈😂

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
The car has beat me. I’ve tried everything that I’m able to try with the tools I have or have borrowed. So I have it built up with one bolt holding it in ready for a better man who is going to take it away and have a go himself when he’s able to.

Whilst I admitted defeat and trying to remain faithful to her I swapped out the steering wheel for one in better condition.

Obligitory old wheel pic:

23929514-7FDE-4848-AED3-285859B24AAA.jpeg

And new/after:

F9C6CB5C-037C-4D7F-A8D7-6BBA1117880A.jpeg

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
It’s better than the 5sp gearknob that was in it! Lol. Dunno why someone would fit a 5sp to a 6sp car? Anyway, it was cheap and it’ll do the job for now, which is to remind me that there’s a 6th one to grab! Lol.
Next is the steering wheel.

View attachment 279739

Once there is more improvement in my back I’ve to get out to @JH86 to get a replacement one from him.

Then bar a small boot build that’s the interior more or less finished, unless I can get my hands on a cheap double din and hvac relocation panel! Lol
The hvac panel will sit neat enough in the empty slot without the relocation panel

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Mahoosive thanks goes to @kylus1986 for sorting out the Beemer this morning. He and his crew were able to successfully remove the bolt and have saved the car.

As I knew the car was going to Kyle to be sorted I decided to show the car some loving again. The remote part of the existing key wasn’t working. I pulled the key apart to find that someone had already done that, removed the battery and glued the key back together, with no battery!

I stuck in a new battery but nothing, so pulled the key apart again and examined it more closely. It seems that in removing the battery they damaged the circuit board of the key.

I tried a couple of locksmiths who were unable to pair a new key to the car. So then I contacted a local BMW dealer for a price for a replacement and decided that as I wasn’t sure if the receiver in the car was working, I went for an aftermarket Hawk remote entry kit instead.

7B46EDD2-5C14-4504-9968-1FABD9EA70E4.jpeg

I even used one of the pockets used for storing ecu’s to hold the Hawk ECU/

976096FE-A6DA-48CE-9A7D-25157A9D00B7.jpeg

I then began to wrap some of the dash trims in a glossy carbon effect wrap, few bubbles round the gear stick trim, may have to redo it at some point.

8D74266A-8AA3-4DE4-B637-AEAE3CA7E537.jpeg

I’ve yet the door trims to do at a later date as well. But for now I can spend money on it happily in an attempt to fix the other niggles for MOT.

Last edited: