E46 320d Touring

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
No pics as I was too busy enjoying driving, but today the young lad and I went on a little road trip up the Coast to the “Port’s” and I drove the wheels off the car!

Damn it was fun on the twisty bits through and over the Glendun viaduct! Just ate up the miles and put plenty of smiles on my face!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
You went about that all wrong, let me do the deal for you.

Hi @Blackie swap you £500 for the BMW
nathan fillion castle GIF

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
£500 here bro

You went about that all wrong, let me do the deal for you.

Hi @Blackie swap you £500 for the BMW
You are both doing it wrong.
Hi @Blackie I’ll swap you for this beautiful example of a Vauxhall insignia. May need a little attention but we all know you love a nice project 🤣🙈😜

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Again no pics because I was having too much fun driving. This evening I packed the twins into the car and we completed a 140ish mile round trip to Muff (oooooooh matron) to pick up a set of Continental tyres from the absolute gentleman that is @ruairi83

I’ve said this before, but this car is so comfortable even on long trips and it just eats up the miles, whilst managing to put a grin on my face when she’s pushed.

I know she’s an auld dog now, but what else out there for the same value drives as good as these?

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Funny I saw that too, then remembered two common faults with these, the dodgy electronic handbrake and the horrible VW 2.0 TDi engine! Injectors, injector loom, depending on engine model the oil pump……

Other than that it looks like a nice enough car!

See, I told you guys that I’m being fussy about what will replace the Beemer!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
So the reason I bought the tyres from @ruairi83:

4607861C-67E8-466C-8DCC-C51EA78C996C.jpeg

Bit of debate amongst many folk I know as to wether or not this is an MOT failure, some people say it’s fine as there’s no cord exposed, others say it’s serious damage to the sidewall, albeit I’ve driven the car with these on since I got the BBS wheels way back in October last year and this is how I received the wheels with these tyres.

So I decided not to chance it being the reason the car fails MOT and have fitted two of the tyres I got from Ruarí

11D7818A-C982-47A2-805F-01929DDBF130.jpeg

*awaits onslaught of “don’t you like the wheels” or “do you love kerbs” comments!

DJMCA

RMS Regular
😂

Again, the reason I got the wheels so cheap was because of the state they were in. I have yet to hit a kerb myself with them lol
They look fine if i squint really hard lol

Only messin! In fairness they look in good nick apart from the lips

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
So the reason I bought the tyres from @ruairi83:

View attachment 329435
Bit of debate amongst many folk I know as to wether or not this is an MOT failure, some people say it’s fine as there’s no cord exposed, others say it’s serious damage to the sidewall, albeit I’ve driven the car with these on since I got the BBS wheels way back in October last year and this is how I received the wheels with these tyres.

So I decided not to chance it being the reason the car fails MOT and have fitted two of the tyres I got from Ruarí

View attachment 329436
*awaits onslaught of “don’t you like the wheels” or “do you love kerbs” comments!
You really don’t mess about. Fair play Brian. DO NOT change car or listen to these guys above. I’m blocking you, if you do lol. Nice meeting you and girls yesterday bud 👍🏻

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
You really don’t mess about. Fair play Brian. DO NOT change car or listen to these guys above. I’m blocking you, if you do lol. Nice meeting you and girls yesterday bud 👍🏻
Yea I don’t like jobs waiting lol. Don’t worry, the car is going nowhere. As I said to you yesterday, I’m too deep in to even recover a little of it!

Yea good to meet you too and thanks once again for your kindness. The girls kept saying how nice you were on the way home lol

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
Yea I don’t like jobs waiting lol. Don’t worry, the car is going nowhere. As I said to you yesterday, I’m too deep in to even recover a little of it!

Yea good to meet you too and thanks once again for your kindness. The girls kept saying how nice you were on the way home lol
So you have 2 spare tyres…. Interesting

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Looks like other than the lips the wheels are in very good nick, no lacquer peel. They would be a very easy weekend refurb.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
So you have 2 spare tyres…. Interesting
Technically 4, though two of them might be only good for the drifters!
Looks like other than the lips the wheels are in very good nick, no lacquer peel. They would be a very easy weekend refurb.
They’re really not. There are at least two of them that are starting to bubble around the centre caps. So they’d really need a full refurb. With wheels like these I’d rather have them done right, so after the MOT I’m going to start saving for a refurb.

Speaking of MOT, my new rear drop links arrived in the post today so I went out and fitted those on as well as giving the car a final once over for said MOT.
30D18DB7-8665-439D-8728-889005959685.jpeg

All that’s left now is to swap out the HID and led bulbs for halogen bulbs and set the handbrake. The latter I’ll be doing on the morning of the MOT which is early next week.

Oh and I’ve started gathering up the bits required for the front big brake upgrade. I found a set of 330d/i front callipers cheap on eBay. This will bring my front brakes from 300mm to 325mm. Handily they also came with Goodridge braided hoses!

FA58B8F0-3918-465A-928E-D86B25DD6898.jpeg

I’m going to refurb the callipers (and remove that stupid Brembo sticker) and paint them blue to match the brakes on my car.

Being the Touring it already has the largest rear disc size available for non M cars which are 294mm vented discs.

Last edited: