Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
Probably more chance of you driving yours than me fitting the holder again. :p
37BD1F5E-6BB2-4F19-AF77-0B8400D4859D.gif

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Has a 3/4 size plate on now. Normal size plate is too tall for the bumper without the holder. Tried it but looks daft.

I just liked how clean the front end is in this photo. Won't be driving around without a plate, not worth the hassle.

honestly mate I find unless you are doing something else silly or have another more obvious reason to be pulled, police rarely worry about no front plate.
I’ve never had an issue with previous cars

Bronk

RMS Regular
they look so much better with out the plate, when i had my e46 M3 i got the front bumper smoothed behind the number plate and rang with out the plate..totally transforms it

1592392129074.png

Last edited:

Bronk

RMS Regular
Not get any trouble from the 5.0 for no front plate?

Didnt get to much hassle from the 5.0, usually the plate was sitting on the passenger seat so could quickly fire it up on the windscreen if i seen a check point and just used the excuse ' it fell off ' lol some times i had it propped up on the dash board against windscreen if i was heading out as well.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
Another month, another few bits tidied up.

Front sits higher than the back on the Bilstein/Eibach setup. More noticeable after the new shocks went in, and sat way too low with kids in the back. There's no way of lowering the front so bought thicker rear spring pads from BMW to raise the back 10mm. Went to fit them and found a broken rear spring, so replacement set ordered. Typical.

Has levelled it out and looks a bit better at the back. Not low, but sensible old man height.

Handbrake rebuilt too as the old shoes were falling apart. New shoes, adjusters and expanding locks fitted along with the springs. Stuck a new rear emblem on to freshen it up as well (because I haven't already spent enough on it at this point :-#).

That's me done...................until next month. :joy:

handbrake.jpg

springs.jpg

springs2.jpg

badges.jpg

oxford.jpg

JT079

RMS Regular
Lovely! Although been following you on Instagram but reading through the posts, I think I’ll be knocking AG’s door too when I got my next toy! Your car is truly best of both world.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
Back at it this month. Was booked in with Alan at AG in Portstewart to paint another few bits for me. Driver's side and rear bumper done so it's almost had a full respray at this point. :-#

Has left it sitting almost perfect. Finally happy with the paint after owning it 3 years. Bit of a trek for me to AG but he's great to work with compared to previous painters I've used.

Picked it up on Friday and took it home to do a couple more small jobs. Fitted some original cupholders to replace the early 2000's phone cradle that came with it. And fitted new headlight lenses I'd bought. Didn't think these would look much different but they really freshen the front end up. No decent side by side comparison photo as it was getting dark, but the old ones were probably the original lenses and had loads of pitting/chips in them.

Also have most of the bits gathered up to do the bearings. No point worrying about it anymore and doing oil samples, so just going to replace them. Will leave it in with my mechanic soon to get them swapped out.

Still a mountain of stuff I'd like to replace and freshen up but have to draw the line somewhere (way past the line at this point) for a while.

TLDR - Threw more money at a 16 year old 3 series.

m3-paint-01.jpg

lights-1.jpg

lights-2.jpg

petrol-1.jpg

bearings-1.jpg

m3-aug-1.jpg

m3-aug-2.jpg

m3-aug-3.jpg

m3-aug-4.jpg

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Looks sharp. I’ve used AG myself
Can you tell it’s had the paint done in stages?

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
Looks sharp. I’ve used AG myself
Can you tell it’s had the paint done in stages?

I could tell after the last time, as it had a panel blended into a previous paint job.

That’s why it was back and got the whole side done.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
As I was saying yesterday it looked stunning in my rear view mirror, so much road presence. Great job on the bodywork and the new headlight lenses is a great finishing touch.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
You know my thoughts on this. Amazing example and I love the fact that you are looking at improving the small details. Once I get the zed sitting looks etc how I want I plan to do something similar to you.
Fresh fresh fresh lol

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
so fresh & so clean

I love your car mate. Its such a credit to you

i'm saving like mad, as I want to get quite a few things done to mine - which will likely include the bearings, sticky rear calliper (really noticeable if the handbrake has been on after its washed etc) front bumper repspray (fill in holes from previous owner being handy drilling the number plate on), i'm seeing the beginning of a rust bubble on one rear arch and one front, and I'm on the hunt for a CSL bootlid too!

And it'll be going up to Alan too