E53 X5 Nav Screen Replacement

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

RevT

RMS Regular
Folks, the LCD nav screen in the E53’s seem to be a common problem and they stop working. The one in mine is currently just a fuzzy grey colour across the entire LCD screen.

Has anyone on here successfully replaced the LCD? You can buy them online for around £70. A second hand unit is around £160+ and it may go the same way.

Cheers
Trevor

colin84

RMS Regular
Folks, the LCD nav screen in the E53’s seem to be a common problem and they stop working. The one in mine is currently just a fuzzy grey colour across the entire LCD screen.

Has anyone on here successfully replaced the LCD? You can buy them online for around £70. A second hand unit is around £160+ and it may go the same way.

Cheers
Trevor

Is there no repair service available? I sent my e60 ccc unit to a business on eBay that was based in Romania I think it was. Seems like a risk, but they had good feedback.

I did replace the ribbon on my e39 dash display myself, never again. And it started to go back the way it was after 6 month's. Not worth the hassle sometimes.

Or maybe change it for something newer as they are very dated.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Mine did something similar, it had a yellow tint to it. I removed the screen, cleaned the connector on the ribbon with contact cleaner then put it back together and it was 100%. A few folk on the forums has similar success. It would be worth trying that before buying a replacement.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
As Colin said, it really is a dire unit. In the end I swapped it out for a double din. It was SO nice to have something modern in it, it really made the interior.

upload_2019-1-26_11-2-26.jpeg

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin

Cheers
Trevor
Err, in 2016 maybe. They've been around £100 for a s/h unit for a long time now.

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
Has yours broken?

The roof? It’s sticking and not opening as it should. Appears to be the gear or cables that they use to operate, seems to pull one cable and not the other.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
There’s a fix you can do that will disable the rear section and allow the front to operate as normal. You have to cut a little but off the runner from memory.

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
There’s a fix you can do that will disable the rear section and allow the front to operate as normal. You have to cut a little but off the runner from memory.

Yea I read that. Unsure if it will fix my problem though, my gear in the motor or the cables seem to be worn possibly. Hoping to be able to sort it out if I can get a chance to look at it properly in a garage sometime soon.

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
Good luck, the cassette is a nightmare to work at.

It does look to be after viewing a few things online. I love wee projects like that though. Always worry I’d strip it all and get fed up though leaving a big hole in the roof. :joy:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.