E60 530d vs W219 CLS 320cdi

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
Any thoughts on the above for a daily driver? Doing 15-20k per year. Both autos and looking at ones with around 100k miles on them.

Am I just buying a money pit? Anyone recommend an alternative around the 4 to 6k mark? I like a bit of power but want to see above 30 mpg

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
I’d take the bmw every time personally. There seems to be a difference of opinion on the big diesel Merc engines - v6 vs straight 6... I don’t even know which is supposedly preferable but it might be worth checking out.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Diesel or would one of the hybrids do 30+?

GS450H might be an option
Avoid the diesels there's a reason Lexus dropped them from their lineup, the is220d (all manual btw) struggles to get low 30mpg even on runs and a 6th gear that near stalls the car below 80mph.

Gs450h is a good shout!

colin84

RMS Regular
The 450h are good when they are working, but I have a relative that was a service manager in Toyota Lexus that told me not to bother. I was looking at one a couple of years ago as it seemed an ideal family car. He mentiond plenty of CVT failures, and something like 4k to replace batteries, and 12k for batteries and hybrid system replacement. Most were covered under warranty, but that won't be the case now, unless things have gotten cheaper in the past couple of years. I guess that's why they are good value for what they are.

I have an 09 525d for just over a year, and before that an 05 530d for 2 years, except for general maintenance I have not had a single problem surprisingly.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Had an e60 530d, and whilst I loved driving it , it just wasn’t reliable.
If it’s just to get you about get an awl Honda and be done with it

RevT

RMS Regular
BMW’s are so hit and miss. I had an E90 330D that didn’t do any more than 800 miles in a year as it was either in the mechanics or it was parked at the end of the street with a spare key in it in the hope that someone could steal it. F*ck it was a dose!

On the other hand, the OH has had her E90 325D for over two years now and 20K+ miles and it’s never missed a beat.

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Any thoughts on the above for a daily driver? Doing 15-20k per year. Both autos and looking at ones with around 100k miles on them.

Am I just buying a money pit? Anyone recommend an alternative around the 4 to 6k mark? I like a bit of power but want to see above 30 mpg
You spelt 535d wrong 8o|

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
OP
mx5 turbo
Drives
it hard
I feel the consensus is to steer clear of both. I just cant find anything I like in that price bracket. I have a 2016 passat bluetech for work at the minute and it bores me to tears, it's so underpowered and boring to look at. I had a 2015 focus estate before that and same thing, 1.5 derv and didnt interest me in the slightest.

I want an auto and want comfort and need to carry two child seats so need something of this size.

I had an e61 520d Lci a few years ago and it didnt let me down but engine management light was on with an unknown fault and the air suspension went faulty a few times but sorted itself when I turned her off and on. Suppose I should learn my lesson

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
I have an 06 Audi A8 4.2tdi - auto , as comfy as it gets for age, and pretty quick.

Bar the odd suspension part going now and again it’s been very reliable

Not many about here, but you would get one in England for 6k. Mine has 130k miles on it but drives like new.
Ps I went from the e60 530d to the Audi A8. Wouldn’t go back, unless it was the e60 m5, but that’s obviously a diff market

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Owned a CLS 320 for about 4 years. Its basically an E Class in a fancy body.

Only went into limp mode once when an exhaust sensor failed. The OM642 engine is very reliable. I even managed to drive the car into a flood, the engine sucked in water then stalled. However it still started and drove, although it didnt sound the healthiest with whatever i bent inside :grinning:

If you buy one avoid the airmatic suspension (£400 a corner for a strut) and find one that has the oil cooler seals done in the middle of the V as they eventually give up and leak oil down the back of the engine. Not a difficult job but just time consuming stripping the components between the 2 banks.

Check the gearbox has had the oil changed every 50k.

The girlfriends ml320 is on 165k and still driving great and still on the original turbo too.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I have a 535d on 240k at the minute.
Apart from a few niggles it has been fine.
Needs the gear oil changing as I would doubt if its ever been done and the gearchanges are a bit odd at times.
Xenon headlights are sheeeite on it and it is a bit bouncy/ crashy on msport susp if out and out comfort is your thing.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Id go for the E60 but I am BMW biased and I hate Mercs with a passion as they are a dose to get error codes out of without the correct software.

If you can do a lot of the work yourself then the big bills can be avoided at times and the BMW has a lot of free diagnostic software to help.

Its a bit like everything though they are hit and miss I had a 535d never missed a beat until I smashed it into a tree and my mum had an E60 525d from new for 12 years and all it ever needed was serviced and nothing ever failed.

But then ive heard of others that are a total dose.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
For what it’s worth I had an se e60 and put on pro kit lowering springs. The change in Springs def helped torque put down and general steering. And was still fairly comfortable.

But I always wished I’d bought msport for the looks. I know some won’t agree but I think the e60 Msport is a great looking saloon and has aged great.

205GTINUT

RMS Regular
Drives
E36 M3 Evo
I owned a 2009 CLS for a few years, family owned before me. Nothing major to report, excellent MPG on long journeys and a much smoother ride than the E60 sport my friend has. Last few weeks of ownership the window regulator broke but can’t actually think of anything that let me down badly. I do know the heater plugs are a bollocks to change so look out for that.