eBay help - Buyer wants a refund on an item they realised doesn't suit them

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Wondering does anybody know where I stand on this?

Sold an Xbox one controller on ebay last week.

For those that don't know of them they come in two flavours the gen 1 and gen 2 controllers.

Gen 1 in order to attach a microphone had to use a Microsoft headset or an adaptor.

Gen 2 they introduced a headphone jack at the bottom of the controller.

I sold a Gen 1 controller last week - nothing wrong with was just a spare controller I had lying around.

8 photos of the controller with the model number clearly stated

Got this email this morning.

Good morning.

I sent to use the Xbox controller last night with a headset, however realised it doesn’t have a headset port? The whole reason I brought this was to just the headset port so I can play with my friends online. It doesn’t say anything about not having one on the original listing. I would like a refund please. I don’t want to leave a bad review so I hope we can sort this out.

Thanks​

Whenever I sold the controller the buyer was gurning about tracking numbers 10 minutes after the auction ended then demanding a refund 2 days after I posted it but couldn't give a refund due to it being en route.

Now this glue bag has realised they have a headset that only works with a gen 2 controller and that I have some how mislead them.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I’d go back and explain the generation you sold is the non headphone port model, there was no error within the listing etc.

Get straight on the chat to eBay though and explain it to them and ask their advice. It’s invaluable having them on your side, as it may end up them having to make the final decision and if you’ve explained it in black and white to them it definitely helps. I’m speaking from experience over a few similar scenarios.

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
I’d say if the listing had a photo showing the model number it’s their own fault. They could have also asked before purchasing to confirm it had the headphone Jack they needed.

I would not accept a return.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
So just off live chat with eBay.

Long story short if they open a return request eBay said they will most likely force me to accept a return.

Class.....

richie_mck

RMS Regular
I had this with an arsehole that wanted a refund just because the part they bought didn’t fix their fault, thankfully it stated by default on my listing there was a no refund policy, check to see if that is there.

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
I sell on ebay for my business and this **** is daily, as private seller you son't have to take it back but if you don't he can leave bad feedback and theres diddly squat you can do about it.

Accept return and deduct postage costs each way.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I sell on ebay for my business and this **** is daily, as private seller you son't have to take it back but if you don't he can leave bad feedback and theres diddly squat you can do about it.

Accept return and deduct postage costs each way.

He can also put a claim in to say it's broken or damaged or not as described and end up with the money and the item.

Accept a return, he will have to send it tracked at his own expense and then refund him is probably the best bet.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
I had a guy bought an airbag squib which worked as there wasn’t any air bag lights on in the car. Sold it and then the buyer said it was broken etc and wanted a full refund. He opened a request straight away and after weeks of arguing as I stupidly didn’t mark it so could be getting his broken one back I decided to not refund. eBay always sides with the buyer not seller no matter how right you are. So I just let it runs it’s course refused and got a bad review etc just closed the account and started a new one. One massive drawback to eBay is your in the wrong as a seller no matter what you do!

Mackers91

RMS Regular
I've had this happen to me afew times and stood my ground and ebay has sided with me the seller everytime.

I always state in bold at the end of descriptions that I cannot accept returns and its the buyers responsibility to check compatibility before buying, strange to here they side with buyers its never been my experience.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I bought a bike saddle. Payment was sitting unclaimed so I just cancelled it and forgot about it. The seller randomly posts it weeks later after eBay cancelled the order. Had a non payment took out against me but I couldn’t pay the eBay system wouldn’t let me. I’d already contacted the seller offering to return or arrange PayPal.

I contacted eBay told them what happened and asked how could I pay or return the item. eBay customer service removed the unpaid strike from my account and asked was I happy with this I said yes but how do I pay or return they just ignored me and said are you happy with this resolution 🤷‍♂️ Then finished the live chat.

I was actually expecting eBay to arrange a way for me to pay again I really didn’t expect them to take my side.

scub

Banned

For those that don't know of them they come in two flavours the gen 1 and gen 2 controllers.

Gen 1 in order to attach a microphone had to use a Microsoft headset or an adaptor.

I sold a Gen 1 controller last week - nothing wrong with was just a spare controller I had lying around.

Good morning.​

I sent to use the Xbox controller last night with a headset, however realised it doesn’t have a headset port? The whole reason I brought this was to just the headset port so I can play with my friends online. It doesn’t say anything about not having one on the original listing. I would like a refund please. I don’t want to leave a bad review so I hope we can sort this out.​

Thanks​

Whenever I sold the controller the buyer was gurning about tracking numbers 10 minutes after the auction ended then demanding a refund 2 days after I posted it but couldn't give a refund due to it being en route.

Now this glue bag has realised they have a headset that only works with a gen 2 controller and that I have some how mislead them.
so he wanted his money back before he'd even received the item.. ie. c#nt/scammer/pr1ck....
& this is why ebay can kiss my ass! I'd give stuff away before having to deal with idiots like that.!
we've a quite heavy electric piano out of my ma's house for sale atm & I'm not allowed near the sale for obvious reasons! life's too short...

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796

Good morning.​

I sent to use the Xbox controller last night with a headset, however realised it doesn’t have a headset port? The whole reason I brought this was to just the headset port so I can play with my friends online. It doesn’t say anything about not having one on the original listing. I would like a refund please. I don’t want to leave a bad review so I hope we can sort this out.​

Thanks​

I think given they were trying to wriggle out of the purchase after you couldn't get it to them same day as such, and pestering you for tracking that it's clear they found a fault they could use to return it.

Send the correspondences about tracking, then wanting to cancel the order when they figured it wouldn't arrive in time to be useful and then them somehow finding a reason for it to be not fit for purpose and tell eBay that they clearly are trying to get money back.

so he wanted his money back before he'd even received the item.. ie. c#nt/scammer/pr1ck....
& this is why ebay can kiss my ass! I'd give stuff away before having to deal with idiots like that.!
we've a quite heavy electric piano out of my ma's house for sale atm & I'm not allowed near the sale for obvious reasons! life's too short...
Exactly this!!!

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
Thanks everyone for the input.

After talking to eBay and then advising me to just give the t**t her way I have decided **** it I am fighting it if she opens a case with eBay.

As @quattro Rick has said she has wanted to wriggle out of this since the second the auction ended or is wanting to scam me out of a controller.

Decided to send this to the crackpot yesterday yet to get a reply

Hi there,

It is a generation one Xbox one controller which works with the Microsoft headset adapter which is the adapter I used with it.

I also clearly showed a photo of the rear of the controller with the model number on it.

There was also a picture on the listing showing the port on the bottom of the controller

The second headset port wasn’t introduced until the generation two controller.

I am afraid this may need to go to eBay to resolve as the generation one controller never had a 3.5mm headset jack and my listing clearly stated no returns unless faulty.

I don’t feel this is fair that I should be held liable for you purchasing the wrong controller model for your needs.

Best regards​

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Suppose a lot hinges on how much it was sold for and what you value your time at but if she opens an item not as described claim, not only will you have to refund her but you’ll also need to pay the return postage.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Thanks everyone for the input.

After talking to eBay and then advising me to just give the t**t her way I have decided **** it I am fighting it if she opens a case with eBay.

As @quattro Rick has said she has wanted to wriggle out of this since the second the auction ended or is wanting to scam me out of a controller.

Decided to send this to the crackpot yesterday yet to get a reply

Hi there,

It is a generation one Xbox one controller which works with the Microsoft headset adapter which is the adapter I used with it.

I also clearly showed a photo of the rear of the controller with the model number on it.

There was also a picture on the listing showing the port on the bottom of the controller

The second headset port wasn’t introduced until the generation two controller.

I am afraid this may need to go to eBay to resolve as the generation one controller never had a 3.5mm headset jack and my listing clearly stated no returns unless faulty.

I don’t feel this is fair that I should be held liable for you purchasing the wrong controller model for your needs.

Best regards​

You could maybe have let on you spoke to eBay and they advised you have done everything correctly here?! If she thought they saw no issue with what you’ve done she may have given up.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
You could maybe have let on you spoke to eBay and they advised you have done everything correctly here?! If she thought they saw no issue with what you’ve done she may have given up.

Well this is the thing, here is a transcript from the live chat with eBay and the stated the item was accurately described

12:40:27 UTC Jannah Rio
Chris, we would want to avoid the buyer from opening any Return Request.
12:40:44 UTC cmar7787
Okay - what would you recommend I do?
12:40:59 UTC Jannah Rio
And I agree that the listing was accurately described
12:41:16 UTC Jannah Rio
I suggest offering the buyer a partial refund.
12:41:37 UTC Jannah Rio
It would be our best option just to avoid them from opening any request.
12:42:25 UTC Jannah Rio
It would also help you from receiving any negative feedback from the buyer.
12:42:42 UTC cmar7787
Thanks for that. In reality is this a no win situation for me? I either have to give this woman money to make her go away or accept a refund and then refund her the postage costs?
12:43:33 UTC Jannah Rio
Unless the buyer opens a request with a remorse reason, you may have to let the buyer return the item

eamon343

RMS Regular
What happens if you do nothing? Just ignore it. All that happens is you get some bad feedback?

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Have heard loads of issues like this when selling on eBay to bad buyers. I'd be inclined to cut you losses mate because they could end up damaging the item to force a refund