ECU choices and local tuners

jayme

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini/ A7
So I have myself geared up to pull the trigger on an ecu and some other goodies this week.

I’m first to admit that my Knowledge isn’t as strong as my other capabilities and to me with this area it boils down to 2 factors.

1) local tuners and what they use
2) customer backup and support

For my application I don’t have anything that’s very complicated, I’ve the following sensors and required output

Water temp
Oil temp
Oil pressure
TPS
Crank position
lamba (prob bosh4.2)

output wise it needs to
Control 2 pumps potentially
Fan
wasted spark coil
4 injectors
CAN capabilities to communicate with an AIM pdm/dash

My options are

DTA S40 PRO
ECU MASTER CLASSIC
MAXXECU STREET

Who has experience with what?whats your application and who is the local go to.

Atm leading the way is DTA with thoughts on Steven Gault, only slight hesitation I have is in terms of the unit is its been on the market a long time and ive news that the new series is on the way.

Thanks

Jayme

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
DTA will require an external wideband controller. Although no idea on pricing, but it's clear on paper the other 2 are a good step above the basic DTA S40, and even perhaps a little above the S60 again.
How long it has been on the market is irrelevant if it gets the job done. But the Maxx and ECUMaster listings are of a much higher spec.

Some of the VW Beetle guys use the Maxx stuff and it does seem pretty decent and software fairly user friendly. I'm sure @56oval could steer you inn the right direction.
Maxx appears to be the only of those with onboard logging...

I'd be wanting the Maxx from those 3.

56oval

RMS Regular
Maxx ecu is a great bit of kit. I'm not an efi guy but my mates who have converted over have used omex, dta, emeraldamongst others and the general consensus is the Maxx package is a better bit of kit with excellent product support, regular updates and an excellent operating system. Many drag racers I know have gone over to Maxx and not looked back. Mark at Elite is very good with the Maxx setup and has plenty of experience with it.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
If you're going to Steven, he'll likely be only using DTA which is more than enough and what we ended up using on mine. It's his mapping and tuning experience with your kind of build is what's key. It's good enough to win championships even though it's not the most scene popular, but even N2 cars in Japan are running either DTA or Link. But look deeper at who is using it and the builds and results they're getting, compared to the popularity. Those listed above are all more than capable of what you need but it's the tuner mapping that's more important

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
DTA S40 does not cover what he asked without buying additional parts. I can see there is a market for it, but it's an ecu I've never really recommended to anyone as it's just too basic for my liking.

I'd do S60 at a minimum, but even then it's still lower/similar spec than the others and still requires an external wideband. I've used DTA ecu's since before most, if not all others here had even heard of them, but it's simply outgunned by the other two offerings.

Of course the tuner is vital too, but even the best tuner in the world, can't make hardware do something it cannot do ( and of course a bad one can monumentally **** up a great ecu lol )

Another option given the application here is of course the SCS ecu. I did only have a brief go with the software a long time ago and wasnt overly impressed as an end user, but SC/John are a leader in the K headed Minis and should be able to give great support for them from afar as that's one of their products.

But I'd probably still pick the Maxx from that bunch lol

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
DTA S40 does not cover what he asked without buying additional parts. I can see there is a market for it, but it's an ecu I've never really recommended to anyone as it's just too basic for my liking.

I'd do S60 at a minimum, but even then it's still lower/similar spec than the others and still requires an external wideband. I've used DTA ecu's since before most, if not all others here had even heard of them, but it's simply outgunned by the other two offerings.

Of course the tuner is vital too, but even the best tuner in the world, can't make hardware do something it cannot do ( and of course a bad one can monumentally **** up a great ecu lol )

Another option given the application here is of course the SCS ecu. I did only have a brief go with the software a long time ago and wasnt overly impressed as an end user, but SC/John are a leader in the K headed Minis and should be able to give great support for them from afar as that's one of their products.

But I'd probably still pick the Maxx from that bunch lol

If i speak to a tuner that i opt to go for and he can put a plan on the table that includes a dta then il back it. In terms as dta as a company they have been more than welcoming.

Ive spent some time trying to get anyone to chat on Maxxecu and haven't been able to get a tuner to speak to...... only person ive spoke to is Neil who has it.

SCS, well very few know of my opinion on the matter and il put it straight, ive had 2 people tell me one wont be in the door. Not to mention the supplier customer service... or lack off. the bill to leave an engine block that it was ready to take the crank would have paid for an ecu itself.. and that was after it was received as a " finished item" and 4 weeks of back and forth waiting on a set of bearings which I then bought twice just to get what was required.

Ive a phone call here in about a hour, depending on how that goes im hitting the buy it now button on the basket tonight.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Just FYI, I know of an SC based A-series conversion that is running a Canems ECU. It's only a road car but any problems he's had have been with the engine externals and throttle body installation rather than the ECU. It was recently featured in PPC Magazine (March).

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Richard Bradley is a seller and mapper of max ecu. Outside dungannon area. Bradley motor works on bakebook if ya use it,

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If i speak to a tuner that i opt to go for and he can put a plan on the table that includes a dta then il back it. In terms as dta as a company they have been more than welcoming.

I would have no hesitation in recommending an S60, but it doesnt tick the box regarding a wideband, although it can of course be sorted with an external controller. Although I do dislike the use of external controllers vs onboard.
But the S40 is just too limited, and would not cover any future growth, at least not the way I would want.

Another UK based budget offering is the Motorsport electronics. I haven't used one, but they do look pretty decent.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I have an ME221 in the MX5, seems pretty good although I've not really done much with it yet. It has been running the engine now for 3 years with no ECU issues.