EGR Valve replacement

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Friend of mine has called into garage with a fault and they've come back to say the EGR valve is "gone", assume clogged.

They're quoting £450ish to supply and replace one for a mk6 2.0tdi Golf.

I thought that seemed like a lot but wasn't sure. Thoughts?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
They're from magherafelt direction and so are using a mechanic out that way. Nicky was the first person that came to mind though lol.

Just wanted to check if its a sensible price.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
There was a recall on some of the Mk6 Golf diesels for an EGR cooler fault, although I can't remember if it was only for the 1.6tdi.

£450 seems awfully expensive to replace an EGR, unless the mechanic is quoting for genuine part at full retail price!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
He is saying its 4/5 hours work and about £250 for the egr. I agree it seems a fortune though!!!

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
There was never a recall on these, it's a known common problem for the coolers to fail - I do loads of these every year. The cooler and valve are all one unit hence te expense! I think from memory it's about £350 just for the parts, and they aren't exactly handy fitted. VW quote about 6 hours or something.

Btw...... That's for genuine parts.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Ouch. OK so £450 isn't taking the pee then. Thanks

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Mate just got rid of his ibiza estate AFTER getting the EGR valve replaced . £250 for part but in total around £700 including labour. Aparently it was hard to access. He wanted rid of the car after that.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
EGR valve isn't easily removed on these, and it's not a case of pulling it out and bucking it over the hedge either.

EGR delete is possible, but the electric side of the existing EGR valve has to be fully functioning in order for it to be mapped out of the software. More a case of "deactivating" the EGR valve by not opening it through the software, as opposed to deleting it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
My car has a bit of hesitation in 1st gear over the last couple of days, which today has developed into other gears too. Only at low/speed revs. I was thinking of cleaning the egr valve as preventative maintenance anyway, would these symptoms sound like an egr? £400 wouldn’t be the worst if it had to be replaced, I had it in my head it would be a £800 job for some reason.

Bought a fuel filter there too and will try that first on the off chance it’s bunged.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
My car has a bit of hesitation in 1st gear over the last couple of days, which today has developed into other gears too. Only at low/speed revs. I was thinking of cleaning the egr valve as preventative maintenance anyway, would these symptoms sound like an egr? £400 wouldn’t be the worst if it had to be replaced, I had it in my head it would be a £800 job for some reason.

Bought a fuel filter there too and will try that first on the off chance it’s bunged.

The new Tiguan? Was it bought from a dealer?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Could do the emissions 'fix' reversal, egr, remap, etc in one go maybe?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
My cousin has an Octavia Scout with the 2.0TDi and the EGR has gone on his, he was telling me its about £300 - £350 for the parts and because of the 4wd system its an engine out job to fit.

He's trading the car for a nice new Skoda lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Could do the emissions 'fix' reversal, egr, remap, etc in one go maybe?

Wasn't going to bother with the reversal to be honest. I'll get this fixed for now then worry about a remap later!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Aye, I’m happy enough to be honest. As long as it doesn’t turn out to be a full engine replacement 😂

purplea4T

RMS Regular
My cousin has an Octavia Scout with the 2.0TDi and the EGR has gone on his, he was telling me its about £300 - £350 for the parts and because of the 4wd system its an engine out job to fit.

He's trading the car for a nice new Skoda lol
Stevies scout lay down on him?