Electric vehicles and “fuel” duty...

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
Don’t know if it has been mentioned yet, but...

How are the government going to take their share? After all, fuel duty currently raises substantial revenue for the exchequer right? What can you envisage?

Marc

RMS Moderator
Don’t know if it has been mentioned yet, but...

How are the government going to take their share? After all, fuel duty currently raises substantial revenue for the exchequer right? What can you envisage?

The govt will wait until there is huge uptake in electric cars and then a massive road fund licence fee for EV registered cars.
With the coming BIK tax incentives from April 2020 I’m thinking of dipping my toe into EV ownership very soon.

RCT

RMS Regular
My father is not long back from Amsterdam after seeing and the new Peugeot 208 electric car and what he found from talking to people over there, was that they want to ban all cars with a combustion engine by 2030 over there.

They plan to tax a normal combustion engine car at £300 per quarter of the year!! So yes they’ll just bump the tax up and force people into electric or alternative powered vehicles.

So I’d say the Uk will do the same.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I’d happily go back to an ev when they get the charging infrastructure sorted over here and come up with some sort of enforcement for charging point hoggers. I would definitely consider a hybrid at some stage in the future.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
As above RFL will go up. Energy used over distance used to calculate bandings. Or bandings based on power output?

I'm sure there also options on monitoring mileage, energy consumed or even metering the charging points and making it illegal to charge from a normal socket.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
None of those things addresses the loss of billions to the government though if normal vehicle owners are ever forced off the road.

Incentives to push them off the roads via higher taxation....will result in even less money for the government to squander.

They should have abolished all bull**** road related taxes years ago, and added it onto income tax so the burden of running the country financially is on the vast majority who work....and not largely just motorists.
That way it wouldnt matter a **** what people drive....the governments income will be maintained.

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
They plan to tax a normal combustion engine car at £300 per quarter of the year!! So yes they’ll just bump the tax up and force people into electric or alternative powered vehicles.

Sure they have been doing that down south for the past 10 years lol...

my GTR is €365 for 3 months...

and so is any pre 2008 car thats over 2400cc or any post 2008 with CO2 greater than 156

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Sure they have been doing that down south for the past 10 years lol...

my GTR is €365 for 3 months...

and so is any pre 2008 car thats over 2400cc or any post 2008 with CO2 greater than 156

genuine daylight robbery

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
genuine daylight robbery
that's not even the worst of it...per quarter any car over 3000cc is €511 (pre 2008) or €663 (Post 2008) for any car over 226g of CO2...

The republic is the worst place to live if you have any interest in cars....even electric cars 0-1g CO2 are €120py..

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
The government will always work out a way to squeeze money out of stuff once people are converted; that's why I got a plug in hybrid early. Look at how diesel cars developed when derv used to be cheaper than petrol and then the whole thing got turned on its head when lots of people changed to diesel.