Electricity tariffs

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
When changing meter to accommodate an EV tariff, how big a job is it? We put a toilet under our stairs so blocked off physical access to the meter. Could they put a new one on the outside of the wall or am I destined to take a sledgehammer to my newly painted walls?

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
When changing meter to accommodate an EV tariff, how big a job is it? We put a toilet under our stairs so blocked off physical access to the meter. Could they put a new one on the outside of the wall or am I destined to take a sledgehammer to my newly painted walls?
How do NIE read your meter?

Even though I'm with SSE and submit readings online, NIE come round every quarter to physically read the meter.

Also, if you ever have a carbon monoxide alarm sound in your house and the fire service are in attendance, we need access to your meter to eliminate underground cable fires as a probable cause.

Bet my sledgehammer is bigger than yours 🤣

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If there's any hassle for them to access it they'll reject the job and then put a defect order on the meter which you'll need to sort out. Then you've to start the process all over again. The fault with mine was it was a bit tight with the EV charging gear in the box and the fella kicked off, wrote me a defect notice, reported me and left me to sort it. Took me nearly a year to fix it

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
They definitely need full access as they swap out the meter for a new one and need to use the same cabling.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I put a wee hatch in.

Yeah they do that with me too, I haven't been there the last load of times. Not sure why I need to submit to PowerNI and them tbh.
PowerNI have a duty of care as provider of the infrastructure into the property to inspect the meter and cabling to ensure it's safe and hasn't fallen under disrepair. The meter reading is simply a verification check to ensure the customer hasn't been spoofing their reads.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I'll be telling him to bugger off in that case.

Looks like it's sledgehammer time ffs.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
I'll be telling him to bugger off in that case.

Looks like it's sledgehammer time ffs.
mc-hammer-stop-hammer-time.gif

Sorry lol

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Had a chap from NI gas giving off once about a fence blocking a gas meter on my property even though it wasn't even physically connected to the network at the time. Said they needed access to "their property" at all times regardless. Nothing more was said about it.

When I did switch to gas a few years later it took them four weeks to find the original cable to reconnect it. Dug up the street four times, and the length of the garden before they found it - right next to that old meter 😅 🙈

But yes, utilities companies need full access to all meters, etc.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
I'm sure this has been asked before, how is the standing charge worked in for keypad customers? Topped up this morning, onto a new rate, went on the consumer council website and I need to jump ship again it seems.

wes

RMS Regular
I'm sure this has been asked before, how is the standing charge worked in for keypad customers? Topped up this morning, onto a new rate, went on the consumer council website and I need to jump ship again it seems.
Some have it built into price , other show a rate plus the 10p or whatever per day probably to make their rate seem cheaper

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Your balance just drops the set number of pennies at a set time of day, midnight I expect.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
The Consumer Council comparison shows I could save about £180 a year by switching from Power NI. My latest bill for the quarter was £343 :sob:

Must get on the ball.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Jaysus, I'm still paying about £40 per month on an ancient PNI prepay meter 🤫 Nothing is ever turned off, screens and stuff in every room, computers for working at home, etc.

I don't use a tumble drier, and have on-demand hot water from the gas boiler so no hot-press or immersion heater. But that's it.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Jaysus, I'm still paying about £40 per month on an ancient PNI prepay meter 🤫 Nothing is ever turned off, screens and stuff in every room, computers for working at home, etc.

I don't use a tumble drier, and have on-demand hot water from the gas boiler so no hot-press or immersion heater. But that's it.
Same. We don't drink tea or coffee either, convinced it's the not using a kettle a million times a day lol

Whole power thing seems like a money racket!

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Looking at moving to Click Energy and the form on their website has space to fill in a "Discount or Referral Code (if known)" - anyone here with them have a code or know what it gets them / me?

Thanks!

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Looking at moving to Click Energy and the form on their website has space to fill in a "Discount or Referral Code (if known)" - anyone here with them have a code or know what it gets them / me?

Thanks!

Yeah I am with them for my EV and they have been good so far.

Not sure what it gets but theres my referral code: M1ZBV9

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
I've just used that now - I think you’ll get £20 credit 👍

If anyone wants to pay it forward 😂, my referral code is CUHAYI

Brilliant thanks very much! If you are ever at a cars and coffee let me know as I owe you a coffee/beer lol

Reactions: RWL

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
I've just used that now - I think you’ll get £20 credit 👍

If anyone wants to pay it forward 😂, my referral code is CUHAYI

Used it myself last night. Cheers!

As above, my code is 7A2R8C

#payitforward

Reactions: RWL