Electricity tariffs

cupraricky

RMS Regular
We actually confirmed the date on the day of purchase. I wouldn't sign until they gave me a date before April! Lol

Lol. Surprised they gave you a date..... Suppose it doesn't mean it'll happen though lol. But then I'd imagine just panels would be a more straightforward install.

Ghost

RMS Regular
If they don't, I'll cancel. They haven't adhered to the contract.....or ask for money off a battery....lol
Lol. Surprised they gave you a date..... Suppose it doesn't mean it'll happen though lol. But then I'd imagine just panels would be a more straightforward install.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
How do you set the batteries up to charge at a specific time?
Installer set this via the hybrid inverter.
4th March I think. 4th or 5th. Can find where I wrote it down. You?

What were you getting before today? We seem to use about 24kwh on average from the meter atm.
Yesterday the solar produced 12kwh, batteries pumped out 13kwh and 33.7kwh purchased from the grid which includes charging the batteries and car.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
If they don't, I'll cancel. They haven't adhered to the contract.....or ask for money off a battery....lol
Pretty sure there's wording in the sales agreement that allows for delays. But anyhow enough negativity....... Be grand
Installer set this via the hybrid inverter.

Yesterday the solar produced 12kwh, batteries pumped out 13kwh and 33.7kwh purchased from the grid which includes charging the batteries and car.

Are you able to amend the set up via the hybrid inverter?

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Pretty sure there's wording in the sales agreement that allows for delays. But anyhow enough negativity....... Be grand

Are you able to amend the set up via the hybrid inverter?
I don't know how to do it but I am sure it is possible with a bit of know how. I specified to the installer what I wanted and he set it up that way.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Switched to the Day/Night tariff with SSE (currently with them on 24hr meter). Rates are -
19.2 Day
10.54 Night
10.22 Standing Charge

Meter swap on 9th Feb which means it’ll be done before the charger install on 11th Feb.

Ghost

RMS Regular
Switched to the Day/Night tariff with SSE (currently with them on 24hr meter). Rates are -
19.2 Day
10.54 Night
10.22 Standing Charge

Meter swap on 9th Feb which means it’ll be done before the charger install on 11th Feb.
Including vat? Is that the ev tariff or?

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Including vat? Is that the ev tariff or?
Yes, including vat. SSE don’t have an EV tariff, just Power NI. SSE’s day/night tariff is the same as Economy 7 but for those without E7 heating (I have gas). The SSE tariff is still cheaper than Power NIs EV one.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
What hours are their "night rates" applicable ?

Seems a good saving if you can run a lot of stuff at night

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
What hours are their "night rates" applicable ?

Seems a good saving if you can run a lot of stuff at night
From their website-

Day-rate hours are 8:00am – 1:00am in the winter and 9:00am – 2:00am in the summer. Night rate: This applies if you have a Day/Night (or Economy 7) meter, and/or a night storage heater. Night-rate hours are 1:00am – 8:00am in the winter and 2:00am – 9:00am in the summer.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Meter swap done yesterday. Guy from NIE was really sound.
Home charger install postponed until 25th as the installer’s wife went into labour early so he’s off on paternity leave. Just means another couple weeks of charges on the 3 pin plug but at least it’ll be half the price.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Home charger install postponed until 25th as the installer’s wife went into labour early so he’s off on paternity leave. Just means another couple weeks of charges on the 3 pin plug but at least it’ll be half the price.
Happy days - it does make a huge difference to your bill and with the solar we "buy" most of our electric at night now. Oil filled radiators on timers a good idea too to heat house up just before you get up with the price of oil being what it is at the moment.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
You go economy 7?

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Happy days - it does make a huge difference to your bill and with the solar we "buy" most of our electric at night now. Oil filled radiators on timers a good idea too to heat house up just before you get up with the price of oil being what it is at the moment.
We’re gas here so the way things are going it might be cheaper to get the oil filled rads out of the roof space!
You go economy 7?
SSE day / night tariff which is the same times and cost as E7 but we don’t need the E7 for heating. I think the meter actually has Economy 7 on it

big cyril

RMS Regular
Bit off topic but still tariff related - anyone using the renewables only tariff from Power NI?

I’ve been with SSE, noticed the last bill showed a figure for CO2 produced per KWh. About half of their supply is renewables so had figured that probably running the E tron on that would result in less CO2 than a diesel suv per mile.
So, did a back of the envelope calculation comparing it to the X3 30d, result isn’t they’re nearly the same😐😐😐.

Obv environment concerns aren’t the only reason for getting a electric car but would def like to swap to a renewable only tariff.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
A renewable only tariff seems like a stupid and bogus claim.

So what happens when renewables cannot supply ? which will still be pretty often. Do they cut off your supply ?

How do they determine that the actual electric you receive....has been entirely from a renewable source, and your neighbour on the same line...is not ?

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
A renewable only tariff seems like a stupid and bogus claim.

So what happens when renewables cannot supply ? which will still be pretty often. Do they cut off your supply ?

How do they determine that the actual electric you receive....has been entirely from a renewable source, and your neighbour on the same line...is not ?

If on a renewable tariff you are getting a GoO (guarantee of origin). For domestic they are not going to get into specifics with you but for commercial and you want to run your business of 100% renewable you are buying essentially that an amount equivalent to what you bought has been purchased from a renewable source.

It doesn't actually go to you, would love to see the job description for sorting electrons if it did.

EG you buy 1MW and you want 50% of it to be renewable to meet a customer obligation then your electric supplier has to buy 0.5MW that has a GoO. You get the cert to prove that it's legit to customer.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Bit off topic but still tariff related - anyone using the renewables only tariff from Power NI?

I’ve been with SSE, noticed the last bill showed a figure for CO2 produced per KWh. About half of their supply is renewables so had figured that probably running the E tron on that would result in less CO2 than a diesel suv per mile.
So, did a back of the envelope calculation comparing it to the X3 30d, result isn’t they’re nearly the same😐😐😐.

Obv environment concerns aren’t the only reason for getting a electric car but would def like to swap to a renewable only tariff.
I am on this tariff - did wonder how they sorted out my electrons from the neighbours but think it has been answered!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yep...it's just a bit of paper/box ticking, rather than actual legit guarantee of renewable which is pretty impossible.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Yep...it's just a bit of paper/box ticking, rather than actual legit guarantee of renewable which is pretty impossible.

If someone was thinking that they were actually getting guaranteed renewable energy to your premises off the network that's made its way from a wind farm then yes that's impossible, but that's not how it works.

Over simplified as there is a huge trading market on this but if you are purchasing a guarantee that X kWh of green electric is put onto the network within a specific time that you supplier has had to go out and secure with a PPA along with GoO certs that are regulated.
On domestic there's assumptions as its not live metered about usage and therefore what needs covered by green. As its also a tiny amount on individual houses they don't therefore go and buy a PPA for your house when you switch to green. Instead they will basket up all the homes that are on green into a large amount and secure certs for that.

In work we will be contracting for about £7M electric this year from supplier which is half hour communicated metering and I can amend contract for 20% to be green if a customer wants it that way so they can PR their car as being produced greenly. I can then pass certs to customer as proof that 20% of our production required for their parts came from guaranteed green.

Its legit as there is a whole regulated multi billion pound commercial market on the back off it. If it wasn't a legit guarantee then regulators and commercial lawyers would have a field day.

There is getting to be less and less difference between brown and green contracts, eventually they will just be green when the network is has fully utilized green capacity.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Now surely this is nonsense...who would be leaving their cars plugged in at such times ?

And is there even an option for the car to send power out via the charging plug ?