Electricity tariffs

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
But surely being locked in for a year is no bad thing if it’s so cheap - surely no difference to taking out a contract with any other supplier? Why did u switch back to SSE and a higher rate if u don’t mind me asking? I just don’t get why people aren’t jumping at these sorts of deals if they’re so good

It was before the current madness that I jumped, I'm out of contract in March.

With such big differences in the current market the penalty dosn't matter.

The inlaws are with power ni, I explained how much they are on and how much they could be on but they want to stay and not "rock the boat" 🤷‍♂️ 🤔

This epg is going to be short lived anyway, are we not going to be on 40p/kwh + in 6 months or after Christmas when they reevaluate it???

hippyross

RMS Regular
Where are all these so called 15p etc tariffs coming from ?

PowerNi called me today, they were offering somewhere around 27p ( cant rem exact number ffs ), that's with DD discount or whatever, including VAT and including the governments thing.

This seems a far cry from some of the numbers mentioned by others or other suppliers....that also seem impossible to actually find on any of their websites ?

He did also say that SSE who I'm currently with, with the governments energy reduction, is around 21p....yet they seem to be 38p and I've heard diddly squat from them to the contrary. And he says other people who have contacted PowerNI, say the same. If SSE has reduced theirs....why would they not tell customers ?

None of it makes a lot of sense.
The wife has us on keypad for 15. 3p power ni

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Clicked on "switch" on PowerNI out of curiousity, am I being shafted as an existing customer vs being new?

I am paying standard rate 28.11p /kWh

Where just reading above that @KyleR is 25p'ish?

View attachment 380167
I would say yours has been automatically discounted assuming you are a bill paying or direct debit customer. If you're on a keypad and it's saying 28p I assume you haven't topped up this month yet?
Power NI are also the only regulated supplier. Largely their prices are dictated.
Is there a benefit to being with a regulated supplier?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I would say yours has been automatically discounted assuming you are a bill paying or direct debit customer. If you're on a keypad and it's saying 28p I assume you haven't topped up this month yet?

Is there a benefit to being with a regulated supplier?

Probably not, as their prices to a degree seem to be dictated, which may be higher or lower than the market.. And apparently they are not allowed to give incentives like the cash offers for signing up etc.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Just had my switch over to Electric Ireland cancelled as apparently I don't have an E7 meter. I Currently have a Keypad with Power NI, but after speaking with EI you can only switch to Keypad E7 if you are already on that tariff with another provider.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
I see SSE (14.27p) is now cheaper than Power NI (24.87p) by 10p a kw. Electric Ire is 13.50p but I won't be switching to them.

Just about to renew my contract with SSE rather than jump ship.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
I see SSE (14.27p) is now cheaper than Power NI (24.87p) by 10p a kw. Electric Ire is 13.50p but I won't be switching to them.

Just about to renew my contract with SSE rather than jump ship.

I moved from SSE to PowerNI two months ago, just applied to switch to EI last week.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Budget Energy, never heard of them 🤷‍♂️

1669803765961.png

1669803965059.png

Are you tied in to a year or can you switch again in March? Or is it worth the switch for 4 months?

1669803977530.png

Jason

RMS Regular
Still waiting to hear back from Electricity Ireland, got a welcome letter a few weeks ago but nothing since.

markmeus

RMS Regular
Still waiting to hear back from Electricity Ireland, got a welcome letter a few weeks ago but nothing since.
Same here, got a welcome letter weeks ago and then last week a final bill from power NI, so I can only assume electric ireland are now billing me but I’ve had no further details on setting up an online account or anything.

Jason

RMS Regular
Same here, got a welcome letter weeks ago and then last week a final bill from power NI, so I can only assume electric ireland are now billing me but I’ve had no further details on setting up an online account or anything.
We havent got to that stage! We are on a monthly DD with Power NI and always are in arrears with them, do they just show a final bill and take it by DD?

markmeus

RMS Regular
Yeah they'll just take whatever amount is needed to clear the account by DD
I'm £39.62 in credit so will have to keep an eye on the refund and chase them up if there's no sign of it.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

I posted them a while back. I'm still in the process of transfer, seemingly it fully happens on 5 Dec.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
So update.

PowerNI with 6% discount rate they offered me is 24.5p kW.

Spoke with SSE yesterday and I'm currently paying 15.5p kw.

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
How do you find Click? Presumably you’re on an Economy 7 tariff? Is it a fixed term contract?
Only been with them 1 month. Submit a meter reading when they send a text. Had no real interaction with customer services other than switching. Economy 7 and no contract.

Screenshot_20221201_080608_Office.jpg

Nigel AI 600

RMS Regular
Drives
EVO VII

Seems Electric Ireland are increasing the prices by 24% from 1st January. The cynic in me thinks they are just cashing in on the mass influx of new customers. Ultimately may still be reasonably priced but nothing stopping them upping the price again. Power NI have stated there will be no more increases this winter, will be interesting to see what the others do now.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR

Seems Electric Ireland are increasing the prices by 24% from 1st January. The cynic in me thinks they are just cashing in on the mass influx of new customers. Ultimately may still be reasonably priced but nothing stopping them upping the price again. Power NI have stated there will be no more increases this winter, will be interesting to see what the others do now.
I was thinking the same, however there is also nothing stopping people jumping ship if their prices do increase more.

Their new price puts them about in line with SSE I think and I expect the rest of the lower priced companies to announce the same soon enough.

AC

RMS Regular
Absolute shower of *******s - I've just switched from PowerNI (no exit fee) to Electric Ireland after switching from SSE to PowerNI in October when PowerNI were the cheapest. Given it takes 4-8 weeks to switch, I'm chasing my tail.

Although to be fair, EI will still be cheaper than PowerNI so still a positive result.

Nigel AI 600

RMS Regular
Drives
EVO VII
Absolute shower of *******s - I've just switched from PowerNI (no exit fee) to Electric Ireland after switching from SSE to PowerNI in October when PowerNI were the cheapest. Given it takes 4-8 weeks to switch, I'm chasing my tail.

Although to be fair, EI will still be cheaper than PowerNI so still a positive result.
Not so sure about that, latest announcement is it will be 33.08 with EPG reduction and 47.37p when this finishes, the math just doesn't add up for me, but currently happy I decided to stick with power NI for now. See @Rocko post in the Interest rate Rise etc thread.