Electricity tariffs

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
I haven’t looked closely at the new PowerNi rates but currently with Click. Are Powerni a bit cheaper now?

Ghost

RMS Regular
Staying with Click E7 when I compared them all. With regard to the charging network we had the chance to have a world leading single, consistent system but only here could they mess that up and end up with a plethora of providers, cards, fobs and different type chargers.
That's a good enough review for me to stay! Lol

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
I don't know if that link is working because it's displaying it in the thread.

Looks like I'm best sticking with Click atm on a D200 N600 monthly split

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
I don't know if that link is working because it's displaying it in the thread.

Looks like I'm best sticking with Click atm on a D200 N600 monthly split
I use more at night too and when I used the excel spreadsheet there was only a few quid in it between Click and Power NI. Coming into the lighter days this will improve more as I have solar.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
wondering if anybody has any advice.

I’m currently in contract until July with SSE on their 15% discount tariff but there’s no night rate etc.

Is it worth my while leaving early and paying the early termination fee and moving to the likes of powerNI?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
No one but you can answer that as you know your usage profile. I didn't move to an EV tariff for about a year after getting the car due to low mileage use

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Only one way to know. Make a spreadsheet and do the maths. Everyone is different.

Sorry, it's a pain, but that's just how it is.

A night tariff only really matters if you can move significant use to night. Like storage heaters or an EV. It's unlikely to make a big difference for the odd run of a dish washer or a washing machine.

But again, everyone is different.

sam_man

RMS Regular
Hoping to make the jump to an EV soon and trying to get up to speed on tariff's and chargers.

Are there grants still available for installing home chargers?

@StevenMc29 is your spreadsheet available to download anywhere?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The "grants" went to the supplier anyway who then set their own "prices" on top.

Have they gone up much since the "grant" stopped?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
£460 more today to install a podpoint vs what I paid 2 odd years ago. So prices were inflated then but not to the point it absorbed most of the grant.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Grants for some rental properties and apartments I think but not a home owner. Budget for about £1000 for an install I would say.

sam_man

RMS Regular
I’m on the NHS scheme so I’ll just get the charger as part of the pack, not sure if it includes installation but I’ll check.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
As regards tariffs there isn’t a lot between Power Ni or Click at present so depend on who you are with maybe just go with their EV tariff for now to get the new meter installed and then come the summer maybe some of the suppliers will have moved their prices to make a swap worthwhile

sam_man

RMS Regular
Thanks David. Yeah, the EV concept is all new to me so trying to assess all options.

Do you still have the ID3?

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Thanks David. Yeah, the EV concept is all new to me so trying to assess all options.

Do you still have the ID3?

Yes have the ID.3 almost two years now and 18k miles. For a daily driver it’s almost perfect for me and I would buy another one tomorrow.
Don’t forget also with an EV tariff you can save money by running your dishwasher, washing machine etc during the off peak hours. At this time of years that runs right up to 9.00am so we run all the machines from 7.00 to 9.00

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I’m on the NHS scheme so I’ll just get the charger as part of the pack, not sure if it includes installation but I’ll check.

Yeah they should include it. There was a couple hundred balance to pay which they lumped in with the lease and comes off each month.

sam_man

RMS Regular
Very good. I used to see you in Garvagh the odd time in it.

Yes big benefits all round for the night time tariffs if used cleverly. I’ve been looking at batteries and PVs but I don’t think I use enough electricity currently to justify the expense.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Very good. I used to see you in Garvagh the odd time in it.

Yes big benefits all round for the night time tariffs if used cleverly. I’ve been looking at batteries and PVs but I don’t think I use enough electricity currently to justify the expense.

I’m in Garvagh plenty for sure. Are you local @sam_man and what do you drive.

I’m also tempted by solar and batteries, tried a couple of companies for quotes but no one turned up and likewise wonder about pay back times for the outlay.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
When I bought my batteries 3 years ago I estimated payback in 10 -12 years but that may have changed with the increase in electric prices and got shorter.

sam_man

RMS Regular
@davyk31 in Aghadowey, just over the road from you.

I’m in the process of ordering an iX1 so trying to make sure I’m doing all the right things.

@Coog I had looked at it last year and for the battery and PV the payback was 16 years. For it to pay I’d need the EV plus a heat pump.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
iX1 does look a great option now and probably the best looking of the BMW Ev range.