Electrified Classic Cars

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Yeah batteries seem to be the costly part, and as someone pointed out on another forum a couple of years ago they've no way of disposing of old batteries yet.

Oh no there absolutely is. You don't dispose of them you recycle them. Big plant in Germany can recover something like 98% of the materials.

56oval

RMS Regular
Personally I just don't see the point. Are you future proofing your classic or just doing it because its an itch to scratch? It's insane money to do it to a decent specification. I can see it now when folks in their home garages really start to get involved. There will be garages burnt to the ground on a weekly basis. It's dangerous enough stuff to be messing around with and when the batteries go up in smoke, they don't go out, no matter how much you try to extinguish them.

Leave it to the modern era and let the old stuff live out their twilight years gracefully.
Jonny Smith reviewed one recently which he was very upbeat about but it was something like 14k to convert and get 160 mile range. I think they did as good a job as possible but it just proves that its probably not the best idea..

All I can think here is, congratulations, you built a mk1 tesla, but worse 😂

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
I'm all for classics being converted. If it keeps them on the road longer rather than being tucked away.

Interesting to see the owner using the car much more now it's ev!

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
I can see it becoming the next thing people want to be seen to be doing as a guy I know started. As already said there isn't much point with a lot of classics as many only do a few hundred miles a year. A fair bit of it is people with flash cars like Ferraris etc wanting to show off more by saying it's electric, although I'd say maintainance costs and reliability would be vastly improved! I'd say a fair percentage of classics on the road would be sub £5k cars and can't see anyone wanting to convert them unless they had to and it became a lot cheaper to do so.
The episodes of Vintage Voltage I watched were good and they did some lovely stuff, especially the BMW 02, but the money involved was crazy.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Neighbour did a tesla conversion on a vehicle. Wasn't a classic but I'd imagine same logic will apply, was nothing to do with being green, saving CO2, saving on fuel etc etc. It was simply because he could and had the means and skill to do so for the craic.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Neighbour did a tesla conversion on a vehicle. Wasn't a classic but I'd imagine same logic will apply, was nothing to do with being green, saving CO2, saving on fuel etc etc. It was simply because he could and had the means and skill to do so for the craic.
I'd say that sort of thing will happen a lot more, it'll end up being like putting an 1.8T or TDi into a Mk2 Golf etc 15 years ago.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Personally I just don't see the point. Are you future proofing your classic or just doing it because its an itch to scratch? It's insane money to do it to a decent specification. I can see it now when folks in their home garages really start to get involved. There will be garages burnt to the ground on a weekly basis. It's dangerous enough stuff to be messing around with and when the batteries go up in smoke, they don't go out, no matter how much you try to extinguish them.

Leave it to the modern era and let the old stuff live out their twilight years gracefully.

All I can think here is, congratulations, you built a mk1 tesla, but worse 😂

And it doesn't even touch on the legalities of it. Some are getting a by ball at present, but it seems that aspect is a minefield too with some testing/certification that needs to be done going to cost around £6k per vehicle....and that's assuming the install is correct and safe.