engine block cleaning / inspected

ger16v

RMS Regular
Drives
80,90's VW
i have stripped an old vw engine
Looking to have the block and cylinder head cleaned, cylinder bores measured and crank inspected also prior to rebuild
any recommendations greater belfast area

purplea4T

RMS Regular
i have stripped an old vw engine
Looking to have the block and cylinder head cleaned, cylinder bores measured and crank inspected also prior to rebuild
any recommendations greater belfast area
Think OD Cars have moved to Carrowdore direction - also changed names but I can't remember it.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
These boys should be able to help you

1D733A63-8E15-4778-BDB6-6740CDA202E4.png

Gambit

RMS Regular
if its any help i once sent a block for inspection to Smiths the outcome wasnt the best :confounded:

actually still have the bare block, VW 2.0 9a, - when i built it up it smoked like a champion - turned out i left it too long in momentums dip tank and it ate the fresh honed bores - but always kept hold of it in case i ever decided to go down the 2.1 route which is likely to be never now lol

ger16v

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
80,90's VW
if its any help i once sent a block for inspection to Smiths the outcome wasnt the best :confounded:

actually still have the bare block, VW 2.0 9a, - when i built it up it smoked like a champion - turned out i left it too long in momentums dip tank and it ate the fresh honed bores - but always kept hold of it in case i ever decided to go down the 2.1 route which is likely to be never now lol
Thanks for reply Gambit and it actually is a 9a block came out of a rotten corrado has 142k on it and was in a car that has not run in many many years
Removed the gearbox to find the clutch virtually non existent and i assumed the car had been driven to its death
Stripped it down removed the sump and found several bits of metal but found all crank / rod bearings perfect - metal was from the oil pump drive bearings
Bores visually look good but as you say do not want to rebuild it to find its a smoker too