Engine running while getting alignment completed?

Bryan

RMS Regular
Is it normal for the mechanic to leave the engine running in the car while aligning the the steering? I've a wee Mini that a relative is using and they took it in today to get alignment completed. The guy left the engine running and because the fan didn't come on the car overheated.

I would have thought alignment would be better done with the engine off so there is more resistance from the steering rack while screwing it about? Is this common practice?

KevM

RMS Regular
Engine on or off won’t affect alignment at all. No need for it to be on really if aligning on a ramp, but if adjusting on the ground, it may have been for handiness as you’d be going lock-to-lock to get at both track rods

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Usually off
But... is the engine on or off when it’s being driven 🙊

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
It was a thing with older cars as the steering rack would have a little play in it if the power steering wasn't running so engine on to keep the pressure in the system, not so sure its relevant now with modern cars but that's the argument for it. As far a sI can see it wouldn't be the mechanic / technician fault if the fan wasn't working and he wasn't made aware.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
No real reason for engine to be running at all, and as pretty much all places will....should be setting alignment with the steering wheel locked in a central position, even any slight play in a hydraulic rack isnt really any concern.

But cars should be presented in working order and if there are any special requirements those noted before any work is carried out.

Not really their fault the car had other issues, although no reason to have it running either. But presumably it only took 15-20 mins at most to do the alignment ?

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I wasn't there so I don't really know the full ins and outs of what happened other than apparently there was steam everywhere before anyone noticed. The car had not overheated before so we didn't know the fan didn't work (if that's even the case).

I understand the fan isn't really their fault but if there is no valid reason for the car to be running to do the job then it wouldn't have happened. Plus the Minis have an electric steering rack so it isn't even fluid like most other older cars.

Boksic

RMS Regular
Have had cars aligned both running and stopped, as mentioned above, bit easier lock to lock etc, particularly if they're have bother with a seized anything and trying to get the right angle to swing off bits, or get heat to the right area etc.

I wouldn't say the garage is accountable, at the end of the day the car could have been sitting in rush hour traffic somewhere a few hours later and the same thing happen. Bit of bad luck just?

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Is the car alright @Bryan ?

Not sure yet - haven't got looking at it yet. Hopefully it'll be ok since it only happened once but I have already replaced the engine, radiator and thermostat in the car due to head gasket failure. Mini engines do no like to overheat. I have a spare fan if that is the issue.

JH86

RMS Regular
Sounds like he done a favour, imagine in a real life situation and it was cooked,

Saved you a lot of hassle 👌

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Finally got a look at the car on Saturday. Head gasket is fine - did the chemical test thing and it stayed green. Had to bleed the cooling system and top it up with a bit of coolant so dear knows how much coolant was lost. I had the car running for 15/20 minutes and it didn't overheat at all and the fan didn't come on either. I'll be replacing the fan as a precautionary measure though anyway. All fuses and relays are ok for the fan.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Finally got a look at the car on Saturday. Head gasket is fine - did the chemical test thing and it stayed green. Had to bleed the cooling system and top it up with a bit of coolant so dear knows how much coolant was lost. I had the car running for 15/20 minutes and it didn't overheat at all and the fan didn't come on either. I'll be replacing the fan as a precautionary measure though anyway. All fuses and relays are ok for the fan.
I'd be investigating further... at least run it until the fan comes on whilst keeping an eye on te.p gauge.
Good news about the head gasket tho...
Petrol or diesel? Diesel engine would take longer than 20 mins idling to get the fan going anyway..

56oval

RMS Regular
Is it a new gen mini?

If so I would check the thermostat housing isn't leaking, if it was then pretty hard to spot unless you check the expansion tank regularly.
If it had leaked a fair bit over time and the tank was dry for sure it would have boiled.

bin laden

RMS Member
Drives
octavia
not norm for car be running when getting the aligning done. but have sat in traffic for longer periods time in mcdonalds drive thru in 17td cavalier without overheating more likely garage didnt bleed system proper hench overheated! fan failing 2 come on? lack water not hitting sensor nothing do with fella leaving it ticking over joys of owing a mini mate