English MoT

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
What's the current status of getting an English MoT for a car registered in NI?

Is this legal?

Or does the car have to be registered at an English address for an English MoT to count?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
No bother at all, used to MOT mine in Derby when I used to work there, 8 or more years.
Some of them panic when they can't find the address but that doesn't seem to be a problem, I used to just give them the address of my digs.

azzymo

RMS Regular
Drives
Bikes
Wasn’t stenaline doing deals on a boat over an back to get mot in cairnryan
Thread resurrection...

I've a motor that passed an english mot last year and might not pass a local MOT. Does anyone know of a garage in Cairnryan right enough, that might be able to look at it?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Unless you are sure it would fail here, just put it through here first and see how it goes. For the sake of £40 it would save a lot of hassle if it's just something minor you were worried about. Unless you are on the boat anyway.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
I legit mot stuff here all the time with the idea that by the time you calculate your costs with travelling over etc the money you’d spend on that would fix 99% of the problems on a car to successfully get it passed here.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
There's very little that you wouldn't be able to get through an mot here unless it's completely ropey in any case. My mx5 has passed with no cat, bucket seats and harnesses (original belts removed), no airbags (liability on an event), hydro handbrake, no abs and a lightweight hardtop with a perspex rear screen. I got failed on headlamp alignment and a stick on front plate but those were easily sorted.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
There's very little that you wouldn't be able to get through an mot here unless it's completely ropey in any case. My mx5 has passed with no cat, bucket seats and harnesses (original belts removed), no airbags (liability on an event), hydro handbrake, no abs and a lightweight hardtop with a perspex rear screen. I got failed on headlamp alignment and a stick on front plate but those were easily sorted.
Very much depends on which test centre you go to.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Most of that shouldn't be an issue anyway I'd have thought?

If abs fully removed and no dash lights should be ok. Have never had issues with seats and harnesses in either of the 205s or mx5. Hydro is fine so long as normal handbrake still there and working.

Rear screens are fine for non glazed, just the front 3 have to be glass over here, but across the water front side windows in polycarb probably ok.

I've also had issues with stick on front plates on a mx5 and mot, used to just stick on a normal plate too for the test and either change the doors or take the door windows out to avoid issues with them 😂.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Your lucky there tbh, been failed a couple of times for no cat in recent years. The annoyance here is u never really know regardless of prep cause it near depends on the mood of the tester at times.

Worst I’ve had was no split pin in a track rod end bolt lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yep, exactly what I was trying to illustrate. Most of those things are fine if approached correctly, people still think that you wouldn't be able to get a car through with some of them.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Balmoral is the easiest for iffy things in my experience, in the east of the country anyway.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Things like no cat would be a fail in England/Scotland too.

It's only really a few technicalities on 10+ years old imports where there might be a difference.

The rest is just down to whoever does it on the day, and how picky they are.

Or in England, what they make up to get the work as most people wouldn't have a clue 😅

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Thread resurrection...

I've a motor that passed an english mot last year and might not pass a local MOT. Does anyone know of a garage in Cairnryan right enough, that might be able to look at it?
If you don't think it would pass a dva mot it really shouldn't be on the road!