EU Green Card

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
My insurance company has just issued me with a 'Green Card' valid from 29th March for driving in the EU. Do they know something we don't^o).

Anyone else been issued one yet?

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Phoned my insurer just last week regarding this. They said some companies are on to them about it and some arent. Shes to get back to me as I'm in the south all the time.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
Phoned my insurer just last week regarding this. They said some companies are on to them about it and some arent. Shes to get back to me as I'm in the south all the time.
Yeah, I was surprised my insurer is switched on to it. Saves me the hassle as i'm also up and down from the South a few times a month.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Literally just chatted to Directline about this.

I was told; "Your policy automatically provides the compulsory minimum level of insurance cover required in any member country of the EU, or associated countries whose domestic laws meet the requirements of the ER directives."

But this appears to be irrelevant and a green card is a legal requirement?

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5

I was told; "Your policy automatically provides the compulsory minimum level of insurance cover required in any member country of the EU, or associated countries whose domestic laws meet the requirements of the ER directives."

Directline is who I'm with. My wife just got one to as she's with them. I assume yous will be on the way.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Received mine in the post today, also with directline.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often

In the event of no deal brexit yes. The requirement for a green card is actually waived by reciprocal agreements, those will no longer exist in the aforementioned.

I wouldn't trust an insurance certificate saying EU/Switzerland,Channel Islands etc on it's own either, if in doubt contact insurance company- it's not them who gets 6pts and they will hardly be sympathetic

garyo

RMS Regular
Dido. I’m across every day but my insurer already knows I work in the south and they didn’t seem too bothered about it all when I rang a week or two ago. I’m gonna ring back though tomorrow and tell them to send one anyway...few days working from home could be handy enough mind you whilst ‘it’s in the post’ :p

Re points, they’ll not be an issue as I don’t believe they can carry across, but fines could still be dished out, car seized maybe, on top of the fact you’ve no insurance in the event you’d actually need it. And given the amount of customs checkpoints already regularly in the northwest I’d imagine they’ll be only too happy to nab people on insurance technicalities too.

Edit: there are a few companies who have decided to just go ahead and issue them automatically, Tesco being another I think. Maybe they just see it as handier than dealing with a flood of requests for them in the event they are needed.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Wife works for the Trust and got a blanket email that had been sent out saying it would be illegal to drive in the ROI after March 29th in the event of a no deal.

Rang my own insurance as I’m down there every other day, they sent me one out straight away...

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
My green card arrived today too 😂, despite Directline telling me they don’t issue them 🤔.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Ours is with Tesco Bank. We got two letters approximately 3 weeks ago with our respective green papers.

garyo

RMS Regular
Do you both know for definite you are covered fully comp down south?
In the no-deal scenario or as-is? Honestly, I don't know if anyone knows anything for definite anymore in the middle of this whole ****show, but currently I'm fully comp yeah, confirmed when I had to provide an indemnity letter to my employer.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
So what do those nasty Europeans need in terms of legal document to drive in the UK ? Do they need anything ?

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
If its no deal a international driving permit from post office. £5ish