EU Green Card

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Had to ring Autoline today despite previous requests. Guy tried to tell me that “they can’t expect us to sort these things over night. There’ll be some leeway.”

I suggested that may not cut it in a courtroom if I have an accident.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
Both my wife and I got green cards yesterday in the post from direct line, valid until expiry of insurance.

garyo

RMS Regular
I'd listen to Today FM in the car and the Irish government have been very good with communicating potential changes, etc. for people to be aware of in relation to No Deal.
Exactly this, the guy I mentioned would be their go to guy for all things motoring and would be a regular with Matt Cooper and the likes, so I’m sure you’re familiar with him.

Actually the first thing I heard when I jumped in the car after work this evening was a public broadcast style message urging Irish motorists to get their Green Card in place before travelling to NI in the event of a ‘no deal’.

I rang my broker today, based in Coleraine, and they still seemed very nonchalant about the whole thing. Guy actually told me he was “only in Ireland once last year, got the ferry across to Redcastle to use up leftover holiday euros”, so clearly it’s not much of an issue to him! He was to get it sorted with Allianz today though and come back to me in the morning so 🤞

J55NI

RMS Regular
Had to ring Autoline today despite previous requests. Guy tried to tell me that “they can’t expect us to sort these things over night. There’ll be some leeway.”

I suggested that may not cut it in a courtroom if I have an accident.

What way have they left it now? I'm with them myself but haven't enquired yet regarding it.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
My policy the green card runs through to the expiry date. My wife’s, the underwriter will only give them out with 3 months duration on them. So worth checking dates when they arrive.

J55NI

RMS Regular
My policy the green card runs through to the expiry date. My wife’s, the underwriter will only give them out with 3 months duration on them. So worth checking dates when they arrive.

Who is the under writer for yours?

J55NI

RMS Regular
Not entirely sure. Could be Aegus or whatever way you spell it. The wife’s may be Marker Study.
Think mine is with market study now and was with ageas the previous year. Assuming they will issue another one after 3 months no problem but bit of a handling remembering..

ilovequo

RMS Regular
From NFU
661F245C-BF34-481F-AD19-10C9F8AB10EE.jpeg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Shows how up to date the EU are with technology, that a ****ty green piece of paper means more than what is held on computer regarding insurance.

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
Shows how up to date the EU are with technology, that a ****ty green piece of paper means more than what is held on computer regarding insurance.
Like the post office in the North needing it printed out even if its done online? So modern

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Hastings told me its 10 days to get one, they last 15 days and I need to give them the exact dates I plan on travelling to Ireland.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
So, my uncle has a house in Donegal and has car insurance there, he just got sent a green card for driving in the UK after 29th March. So I guess the Mexicans do need one.

garyo

RMS Regular
So, my uncle has a house in Donegal and has car insurance there, he just got sent a green card for driving in the UK after 29th March. So I guess the Mexicans do need one.
Yeah, that's what they've been saying all along to be fair. The e-mail you mentioned you received, it didn't seem clear when you mentioned 'Irish citizens'...is that all they said (as technically an Irish citizen wouldn't need anything if they had a UK/NI car with UK/NI insurance) or did they clearly state people driving RoI cars with RoI insurance wouldn't need anything? Was it referring to their own private use or to drive your work vehicles/appliances? It would seem they don't need any additional licensing documentation in the form of an International Driving Permit (IDP), but insurance is another ball game.

The department said UK or Northern Ireland driving licence holders will not require an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in the Republic of Ireland post-Brexit.

But in the event of the UK leaving without a deal, UK and Northern Ireland driving licence holders may need an International Driving Permit in addition to their driving licence to drive in other EU or EEA countries.

Motorists from the Republic of Ireland will not need an IDP to drive in Northern Ireland or Britain after Brexit.

The licence issue is a whole other can of worms too, as UK licences for RoI residents will no longer be valid (again, only in the event of a No Deal). English girl in work here is swapping her UK licence and is being told she can't drive until she has her Irish replacement in her possession.

As @Artoir mentioned, RoI seem to have made a hell of a lot more effort to make info available. Maybe if Stormont wasn't derelict our representatives would have put some thought into doing the same for us.

Again, the AA have been pro-active in trying to make sure mechanisms are put in place to avoid this scenario and any associated panic...

Gaz86

RMS Regular
I'd listen to Today FM in the car and the Irish government have been very good with communicating potential changes, etc. for people to be aware of in relation to No Deal.

Irish Revenue and other agencies have also been in constant contact with us (logistics) meanwhile trying to even get an email back from HMRC and the likes has been... difficult.

Took 45 minutes to get speaking to anyone at HMRC last time I phoned, dread to think how long it would take to get an email

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Just got two green card through the post today from my insurer..didn’t ask for them but they clearly state they are valid for the term of my insurance and the same cover i.e. fully comp business use.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
The green card I imagine would specify some sort of make/model/chassis plate no etc so might actually require a standalone policy for the trailer/caravan in order to get one?

Insurance co's might not be too pleased to hear you've fitted a towbar and tow trailers without telling them, tread carefully.