EU Green Card

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Is yours valid for -1 day?
i been drankin party GIF

Must query that lol. Sure if I’m not on for it bit, you all know I’ve been lifted with the guards 🤭

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The green card I imagine would specify some sort of make/model/chassis plate no etc so might actually require a standalone policy for the trailer/caravan in order to get one?

Insurance co's might not be too pleased to hear you've fitted a towbar and tow trailers without telling them, tread carefully.

I don't have a standalone policy for the trailer but do have coverage for towing. I'm not actually sure what that coverage is though. I guess 3rd party.

Presumably noone has done this yet lol

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I really need to look into this with Admiral. I think the last time I looked it was issued for 3 weeks or 3 months I can't remember. I'm rarely in Donegal in the car these days anyway only even go into muff for fuel the odd time.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
I really need to look into this with Admiral. I think the last time I looked it was issued for 3 weeks or 3 months I can't remember. I'm rarely in Donegal in the car these days anyway only even go into muff for fuel the odd time.
My Green Card is an addition on the bottom my insurance cert. States that a separate green card on green paper like my previous is not required.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
My Green Card is an addition on the bottom my insurance cert. States that a separate green card on green paper like my previous is not required.
I had an email from Admiral before telling me I needed to phone up for one but that may have been my old policy.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I've had a couple policies with the same, this years have all sent separate green sheets for bike and 2 cars

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
My renewal paperwork still in the envelope I’ll check it tomorrow. I only ever double checked the cert to make sure the details were correct and just filled it away.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Just FYI - there's still no real clue if a green card will be required or not until someone sifts through the many many pages of bore**

**that'll probably be me :joy:

ps: have a green card for cross border travel! Can't find any hint of recognition of insurance cover.

Last edited:

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
I argued back and forth with my last insurance company (RAC) that as I lived here I couldn’t give them advance notice if when I might decide to go to the south buy they kept on insisting that I needed to give them travel dates. After a lot more arguing they actually looked at the document they were sending out and there were no dates on them, they were valid for the years insurance no matter when you got them. 🤦‍♂️

Why does everyone seem to have different rules about this as usual?

I haven’t bothered with my new insurance yet, will wait till lockdown is over probably.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
There’s nothing on my certificate about it but I’ll not be over the border any time soon anyway.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
I’m over all the time. Got a green card last year with admiral but it auto renewed this year and haven’t had anything.

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
Tesco posted one to to my wife a few weeks ago and I had an email from Axa the Other day telling me mine was available to download. The dates on both cover the years insurance.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
So are we meant to be carrying this when down South then? I got 1 last year, but after changing car and reg mid-policy, it never got updated. Is any form of green card applicable as long as it reflects the policy, or does it need to be vehicle/reg specific?

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
So are we meant to be carrying this when down South then? I got 1 last year, but after changing car and reg mid-policy, it never got updated. Is any form of green card applicable as long as it reflects the policy, or does it need to be vehicle/reg specific?
Mine has my vehicle reg, policy number etc on it. It's specific not generic

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Yes. It's specific to the vehicle, request one.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
With the current travel restrictions, a green card is the last thing the guards will be looking for.

Judging the cars in Warrenpoint last weekend they’re not being too strict at the moment..

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
According to my insurance (LV) T&c

Where am I covered?
Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

When driving in EU countries and those following EU Directives, if a green card has been issued, you'll have the same level of cover as you have in the UK for up to 180 days per policy year provided your vehicle is registered and normally kept in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or Channel Islands.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
From one of my insurers today

"
Changes to green cards for European travel
Great news for UK motorists planning a driving holiday abroad this summer. From 2nd August 2021, the European Commission has implemented a new change to motoring law, whereby drivers of UK-registered vehicles, including those from Northern Ireland will no longer need green card insurance when driving their car in EU countries.

What is a green card?
A green card is an internationally recognised document that proves a UK motorist has valid third party insurance cover for up to 90 days to drive abroad in the EU.

When the UK left the EU on the 31st January 2020, it became a legal requirement for UK motorists to carry a green card when driving to another EU country, including the Republic of Ireland.

Who will the change effect?
Before the pandemic, it was thought that UK motorists made about 12.6m visits to the continent via seaports and the Channel Tunnel.

When the new change comes into effect, this should help make things easier for British motorists, when planning future driving trips to the EU.

In the past, drivers who failed to produce evidence of a green card when driving in the EU could have been faced with heavy fines, legal prosecution for breaking driving laws, or have their car impounded.

What documents will I need when driving abroad?
Once the change has been implemented, after 2nd August, your certificate of insurance will be enough to cover you when driving abroad. In addition to your certificate, it would also be worthwhile to carry your driving licence and V5C logbook and display a GB sticker on your vehicle.

In some cases, you may also need an International Driving Permit to drive in some EU/EEA countries2. For more information please click here.

However, we recommend UK motorists planning a trip before 2nd September that you should still adhere to the current regulations until the new rules come into effect and travel with a green card to avoid any delays.

Motorists of other vehicles should also note some Green Card Free Circulation Area (GCFCA) countries may require a separate green card as proof of insurance for trailers or caravans1. If you are travelling with a trailer or caravan, you should contact your insurance company for advice to see whether you still need to issue a green card1.

Motorists based in GCFCA countries and travelling to the UK are not required to carry green cards, although drivers could be asked to provide proof of their current motor insurance policy.

Conclusion
Huw Evans, Director General at the Association of British Insurers welcomed the new change by saying: “This is excellent news. We have long campaigned for the UK to be part of the Green Card Free Circulation Zone so we warmly welcome the decision by the European Commission.

“The Commission has taken a pragmatic approach on the matter. UK drivers will no longer need to apply for a Green Card through their insurer which will help reduce bureaucracy for drivers and road hauliers travelling between the UK and EU.”

Contact Us
If you are planning on travelling to Europe before 2nd September, please contact us to request a green card.

Kind regards"​