EV and their range...

What real-world range would make you move to EV?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Off the top of my head Hankook and Bridgestone have EV ranges. I’m sure there are others.

There’s also manufacturer approved tyres (star / AO / etc) so whether that’s the same thing because they’re being fitted to an EV or not is another thing.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's just load based on vehicle weight, there's nothing "EV specific" about that.

They also tend to be running "eco" tyres with lower rolling resistance (=lower grip), but again there is nothing "EV specific" about that.

You can run whatever tyre you want on an EV, within manufacturer ratings, same as any other car.

An "EV" tyre sounds like marketing, similar to "eco tyre", etc.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
EV grant now going completely. Tax incentives for company cars remain, for now.

Don't think it is that big a deal at this point. A 1.5k grant for, on average, a 50k car really is neither here nor there, is it?

The planned mandate on manufacturers to sell a certain portion of EV, that's a bigger deal in that story I think. Just kicking the ball down the hill as usual.
I need another 6 months of the company car wheeze to get this jag up the road and replaced. Would be some kick in the balls if they totally scrubbed the company car tax reduction over night though.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I don't think the tax incentives are at risk just yet. I'd hazard they are the number one reason for the vast majority of people to get into an EV right now.

And even if they were you would expect something gradual rather than sudden?

But who knows. The economy isn't in great shape, there is likely worse to come, and these are massive tax breaks. That get bigger the more you earn as well. That obviously won't be sustainable.

Roll the dice!

Philljdm

RMS Regular
Drives
mk2.5 focus st
Recently become an EV owner but always charge at the house. Where is best to charge around Dublin area as don't want to chance it running out

Cro

RMS Regular
Loads of options @Philljdm I tend to stop at ionity at city north for their super fast chargers. In for a tea and out to a near full charge

Otherwise just download the esb app or one of the others and see what’s around where you’re staying.

Wouldn’t bother with any of the applegreens unless you’re a Tesla owner

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
There’s an Applegreen fast charger at Lusk services southbound, I got 40-100% in 30 mins. 135-150 KW

Had to use the Tesla chargers at Castlebellingham a couple of weeks ago, only managed to get 21KW, very disappointing, 1st time using the Tesla network.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
There’s an Applegreen fast charger at Lusk services southbound, I got 40-100% in 30 mins. 135-150 KW

Had to use the Tesla chargers at Castlebellingham a couple of weeks ago, only managed to get 21KW, very disappointing, 1st time using the Tesla network.
There is another charger at Castlebellingham which gave me north of 140 Kwh last time I stopped - can't remember the provider might be Applegreen's.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
There is another charger at Castlebellingham which gave me north of 140 Kwh last time I stopped - can't remember the provider might be Applegreen's.

I used it on Sunday eve but can't remember the provider either lol, definitely a fast charger though.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Was down at Junction 14 Mayfield M7 today and all 8 fast chargers in use at noon - getting busy!

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR

They can definitely go faster than that. Was is quite busy? What was the current charge level of the car when you plugged in?

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
I used the Tesla Superchargers loads and always got over 100KW as long as the battery was below 70% or thereabouts.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I used the new Ionity 350kw chargers at Kennedy Centre last week as I wanted to see how fast the ID.3 would charge.
Imagine my delight at a whopping rate of 35kw 🤔🙁😮
Think it was maybe as the temps were cold as I read somewhere that below whatever degrees it will max at 35. The battery should have been warm enough as I had driven for an hour about an hour before charging

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I Used a BP Pulse 150KW charger yesterday to give us a boost and get us home from Donegal. It was Giving us approx 5-6 miles per minute. We were good to go after about 5 minutes of charging