EV and their range...

What real-world range would make you move to EV?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2.2_Coupe

RMS Regular
Drives
amps/volts
at a 100 mile range, Im comfortably getting two round trips to bangor before charging, and even then its off solar. I don't know i'm living now, compared to the m3. Now, if we could stop model 3 owners referring to model 3s as M3s, itll be a great world to live in lol.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
My I-Pace should be with me in the next few weeks

We do about 10k a year but very rarely trios over 200 miles return.

We have a 3 year old and baby number 2 on the way so no way we would be doing that without a stop anyway so just build in charging there

Will save me £100/month minimum in fuel

Seen an Ipace at the BP station in Templepatrick earlier. Actually quite a nice looking car, even in the primer grey. Not sure why they were parked at the pumps though.

Weirdly too this morning at Pond Park in Lisburn, a Tesla parked at the pumps, which is an already small forecourt.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Seen an Ipace at the BP station in Templepatrick earlier. Actually quite a nice looking car, even in the primer grey. Not sure why they were parked at the pumps though.

Weirdly too this morning at Pond Park in Lisburn, a Tesla parked at the pumps, which is an already small forecourt.

Classic laziness I’d imagine is the reason for parking at the pumps

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Maybe filling a Jerry can for the mower or jetski or whatever.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
That 20 minute coffee break to charge doesn't make alot of sense now with this going on 😂
Screenshot_20210705_183553_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Marc

RMS Moderator
That 20 minute coffee break to charge doesn't make alot of sense now with this going on 😂
View attachment 328262
I think you can only unplug once a charge is complete, the charge stations and cars lock the connection until charging is complete when some units release the lock.

You can’t take the cable until the car is unlocked to release the car side.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
I think you can only unplug once a charge is complete, the charge stations and cars lock the connection until charging is complete when some units release the lock.

That'd make sense, be a bit messed with being able to plug and unplug every car going.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular

That is in theory correct, there are emergency stop buttons on public chargers in case of fire or what have you and some individuals have been known to use these in non emergencies to end one's charge....
Charger etiquette is a bit of a mine field, the purests say the public chargers should only be used to get you enough to get home or where you need to be, the other extreme are the cheap twats who will block a charger all day to make sure they never have to spend a penny charging their car over here. Charging to charge would solve a lot of issues.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
There's an Audi S5 parked all the time at the Lidls public charger in Limavady how does the etiquette work for that :joy: :p

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
That's extremely common as has a slightly cringy title of the charger being "ICE'D". Again charging via redcoat if a public car park would soon knock that on the head or being blocked in by a car needing charge.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
the other extreme are the cheap twats who will block a charger all day to make sure they never have to spend a penny charging their car over here. Charging to charge would solve a lot of issues.

There is a fella in Portaferry who does exactly this. He lives a few miles outside the town but he parks/charges his Tesla all day everyday at the only charger in the town while he's away at work in his van. He then parks his van there every evening/night and drives home in the car. Come the next day he drives in to his van and swaps vehicles. I had wondered why his car was alway there when I was working from home and going on my lunchtime walks but finally found out the above was happening.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
There is a fella in Portaferry who does exactly this. He lives a few miles outside the town but he parks/charges his Tesla all day everyday at the only charger in the town while he's away at work in his van. He then parks his van there every evening/night and drives home in the car. Come the next day he drives in to his van and swaps vehicles. I had wondered why his car was alway there when I was working from home and going on my lunchtime walks but finally found out the above was happening.
Take the cores out of his valves and leave them down beside his wheels. Bet he wouldn’t have a valve core tool with him to put them back in. He’d have to take the Tesla then 🤣

Edit don’t even take the all the way out just loosen them so they all leak

davyk31

RMS Regular
Needs reported to ESB or whoever issues the charging cards. They can deactivate his card which might spoil his next visit to charge.

Very selfish behaviour as hogging a charge point and not charging is poor behaviour and even when his Tesla is there it can’t need a lot of charging if it’s there everyday. They need to start charging here for overstays when not charging.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
I have a wee Corsa-e that I am driving at the minute and the range from a full charge for it is about 120 miles. Last week, I was driving a Zoe and it was about 185 miles.

I am driving a Lexus UX at the minute, range out of a full charge for it is 170 miles - but the re-gen on it, seems to be much better. Drove from Mallusk, to Carryduff, to Larne and only used 30 miles of range.

If I wasn't able to charge every time I need some range, at work; then realistically I think you would need about 250 miles for it to be an only car. For me just commuting back and forward to work in it, it's been great - keeps the miles off the Merc and saves me having to fuel it!

I got a software update on my Corsa-e and it has increased my full range charge to more than 200 miles!

davyk31

RMS Regular
That looks great and lovely colour.

Got back to driving my new EV today after 9 days driving a hired MG ZS on holiday. What an underpowered heap it was, all of 105bhp in a reasonably large car with only 5 gears to stir it along. On the flat and downhill it was ok but any incline killed it unbelievably to the point where third and sometimes second was needed. Glad to return it to them.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Absolutely love this after picking it up today - fantastic machine

View attachment 329105
Health to enjoy. That is a fantastic colour.
Slighty boaty ride some minor build issues (boot that doesnt open fully up so I bang my head on it and a frunk that is deadly to close) are the only ways I could fault ours. That and the apps are flaky and really outdated. Scheduled charging if you have economy 7 plan etc is so much more difficult than it needs to be.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Health to enjoy. That is a fantastic colour.
Slighty boaty ride some minor build issues (boot that doesnt open fully up so I bang my head on it and a frunk that is deadly to close) are the only ways I could fault ours. That and the apps are flaky and really outdated. Scheduled charging if you have economy 7 plan etc is so much more difficult than it needs to be.

For the boot have you tried recalibrating it? Process below

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
For the boot have you tried recalibrating it? Process below

I haven't mine is a year old and doesn't have a powered boot (another very minor gripe). It's just that the gas struts don't quite have enough oomph to life the boot lid all the way up and need a push, so if I forget and lean in to the boot to get something then the protruding lock mechanism whacks me on the back of the head when standing up... A truly first world problem indeed!

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I haven't mine is a year old and doesn't have a powered boot (another very minor gripe). It's just that the gas struts don't quite have enough oomph to life the boot lid all the way up and need a push, so if I forget and lean in to the boot to get something then the protruding lock mechanism whacks me on the back of the head when standing up... A truly first world problem indeed!

Ah I see - that does sound annoying to be fair

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Not take it back and see if they’ll stick a new strut in. Maybe a weak one.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Not take it back and see if they’ll stick a new strut in. Maybe a weak one.
I'm lazy, I'll continue to curse myself and the stupid car every time I forget and bang my head on it roughly every month rather than call in and deal with some "character" in a Jag showroom.