EV and their range...

What real-world range would make you move to EV?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stuarti

RMS Regular
I’m driving a 2020 leaf .. smaller battery one … the range is absolute garbage

in eco mode with regen brake on, I do well to see over 100miles per 100% charge .. that’s driving not over 55-60mph (as battery drains even faster) which is a bit of a joke (worse in winter)

massive work to do to improve that, it’s been in and checked 3 times .. no faults

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Have the E Golf a year and have done almost 20k. 160 miles range in summer (with air con on) or 200 miles around town. 115 miles during winter and colder weather with heater on so it does over 95% of my journeys. I did chance it to Donegal and charged it at the rapid in Letterkenny which was stress free. Also made my way to Sligo and was able to get a rapid charge there too. Motorway driving and the cold kills the range of an EV by around 30% I would say but driving style has a huge influence. If I had to go to Dublin airport I would have to stop at the Applegreen for a cup of tea and toilet break to be able to get home but this is a rare occurrence. As previously stated most journeys are under 30 miles.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
With the Cayenne broken we had to fall back on the Etron for a trip up to the north coast via Cookstown. We would be able to get there and back on one charge but it would be tight and there’s no allowance for any touring about up there.

First time relying on public charging network and actually it’s been OK so far. The biggest draw back has been planning ahead & parking at a charging bay vs sailing in and parking anywhere you’d like. On the flip side they’re extra wide bays and closer to the carpark exit than any others, so you get preferential treatment. Plus, it’s free (well 90p to park for 3 hours which includes free electric).

So we’ve got up here and while we had a bite and took the boys round the tat shops the car was recharged for free.

Might need one more before we go home at the end of the week, so just need to plan a few hours near a charging point somewhere.

7B86B979-39B4-45CF-B879-9D75EED8E922.jpeg

F8AD1631-14C4-4960-9B2F-96F2B3EC6288.jpeg

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
With the Cayenne broken we had to fall back on the Etron for a trip up to the north coast via Cookstown. We would be able to get there and back on one charge but it would be tight and there’s no allowance for any touring about up there.

First time relying on public charging network and actually it’s been OK so far. The biggest draw back has been planning ahead & parking at a charging bay vs sailing in and parking anywhere you’d like. On the flip side they’re extra wide bays and closer to the carpark exit than any others, so you get preferential treatment. Plus, it’s free (well 90p to park for 3 hours which includes free electric).

So we’ve got up here and while we had a bite and took the boys round the tat shops the car was recharged for free.

Might need one more before we go home at the end of the week, so just need to plan a few hours near a charging point somewhere.

View attachment 333419

View attachment 333428
Glad that one is operational again as it was out of action for ages. I used it frequently at the start of May during a week at the North Coast but there really needs to be more chargers in a holiday destination.

davyk31

RMS Regular
There are other chargers in Portrush where you don’t even need to pay the 90p for parking 😀

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
There’s 2 chargers that are normally empty in Limavady Lidl I’m not sure if there’s any chargers at the Portrush or Coleraine Lidl’s.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Any charger I've walked past the last week with the dog. Maybe 5 ish. All out of order 😂😂

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There are other chargers in Portrush where you don’t even need to pay the 90p for parking 😀

And for that reason were in use.

There’s 2 chargers that are normally empty in Limavady Lidl I’m not sure if there’s any chargers at the Portrush or Coleraine Lidl’s.

The portrush one definitely doesn’t have one.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Seems only the ones built in past 2-3 years have them. Handy job usually get 20% charge while getting the weekly shop in which does the wife for a weeks commute.

Marc

RMS Moderator
I had taken a test drive in the Model 3 performance yesterday. It is a rapid car! I was out for a run in a friends V10 R8 today and I reckon the Tesla would have it. But you can’t beat the sound of a V10 screaming behind your ears.

I would love to stump up the extra ££ for the Performance over the Long Range model but I just can’t justify it at the min, it is just not special enough in my mind.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I had taken a test drive in the Model 3 performance yesterday. It is a rapid car! I was out for a run in a friends V10 R8 today and I reckon the Tesla would have it. But you can’t beat the sound of a V10 screaming behind your ears.

I would love to stump up the extra ££ for the Performance over the Long Range model but I just can’t justify it at the min, it is just not special enough in my mind.
Long range plus acceleration boost (1500 quid OTA download) and there really isn't a whole lot in it. I can't remember if the below LR has the boost bought for it, there may be even less than this between them.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Have the E Golf a year and have done almost 20k. 160 miles range in summer (with air con on) or 200 miles around town. 115 miles during winter and colder weather with heater on so it does over 95% of my journeys. I did chance it to Donegal and charged it at the rapid in Letterkenny which was stress free. Also made my way to Sligo and was able to get a rapid charge there too. Motorway driving and the cold kills the range of an EV by around 30% I would say but driving style has a huge influence. If I had to go to Dublin airport I would have to stop at the Applegreen for a cup of tea and toilet break to be able to get home but this is a rare occurrence. As previously stated most journeys are under 30 miles.

That's the crap I couldn't deal with if I'm on an airport run it's exactly that, a run. Straight down and up no dicking about making a journey unnecessarily longer than it needs to be.

Marc

RMS Moderator
Long range plus acceleration boost (1500 quid OTA download) and there really isn't a whole lot in it. I can't remember if the below LR has the boost bought for it, there may be even less than this between them.

That is unbelievable, the LR pulls away once on the move. Definitely makes that £10k seem worthless.

I don’t feel that the brakes are needed, the power of the regen braking is quite strong compared to the Golf, it’s the wheels that would do it for me. I need to see if there are any other mechanical differences before buying.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
We won’t be going electric again until there’s a big improvement in the maintenance of the charging network and the amount of chargers available.

We did Donegal the other week (110mile each way), left with full charge of 150 odd miles, topped up at glenshane rapid charger (lucky to get it, usually a few waiting) and then had about 60 mile left when we got to the house in Rathmullan.

We used the 3 pin granny charger to top it back up for the trip home and had about 40-50 mile left by the time we got home. Mallusk charger was out of order and so were a couple of others I’ve noticed about (ones in the south always seem to be fine and there are more of them) they are rarely unoccupied here and with the amount of electric cars now on the road in the last year or 2 so I’ll be going back to petrol or diesel when the etron goes back.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
That is unbelievable, the LR pulls away once on the move. Definitely makes that £10k seem worthless.

I don’t feel that the brakes are needed, the power of the regen braking is quite strong compared to the Golf, it’s the wheels that would do it for me. I need to see if there are any other mechanical differences before buying.
Yeh that's it, the man maths just couldn't pay 10k for bigger brakes (I rarely use brakes now 1 foot driving as it turns out), a marginal performance gain, upgraded wheels, suspension and boot spoiler. LR seems like a real sweet spot in the range to me. I love mine, zero regrets. Much prefer it to the wife's ipace to be honest.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I came to the same conclusion now I’ve ordered my performance that I probably should have just bought an LR 😂 also probably shouldn’t have bothered with the enhanced auto pilot either lol

I’m binning the wheels as I think they are hideous and fitting something else. I’ve a kit and springs on their way for it to try and beef it’s looks up a bit 🙈

Still can’t believe how excited I am to be getting an EV 😂

RevT

RMS Regular
I came to the same conclusion now I’ve ordered my performance that I probably should have just bought an LR 😂 also probably shouldn’t have bothered with the enhanced auto pilot either lol

I’m binning the wheels as I think they are hideous and fitting something else. I’ve a kit and springs on their way for it to try and beef it’s looks up a bit 🙈

I’m sure you’ve seen it but MotionR seem to have released a new kit today for them.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular

Get on to the guys on boucher and they'll change the order for you. I changed mine twice after I'd the deposit down.
EAP is a complete waste of time as it stands, it's less hassle and grief to drive yourself. I'm sure that'll change at some point but the hardware will still be there and you could just pay a subscription etc to get it.

Last edited:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Get on to the guys on boucher and they'll change the order for you. I changed mine twice after I'd the deposit down.
EAP is a complete waste of time as it stands, it's less hassle and grief to drive yourself. I'm sure that'll change at some point but the hardware will still be there and you could just pay a subscription etc to get it.

I don’t want to risk putting delivery back as I managed to get a build slot for next month, the guys were saying stuff arrives in batches and I got mine ordered just in time for this bath so I’ll not **** about with it now 😂

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I don’t want to risk putting delivery back as I managed to get a build slot for next month, the guys were saying stuff arrives in batches and I got mine ordered just in time for this bath so I’ll not **** about with it now 😂
Get an inventory car, there's bound to be a long range in the colour you want. I went 3 weeks from order to driveway. LR can have the detachable invisible tow hitch too which comes in handy!

Attachments

• IMG_20210823_192855.jpg
    IMG_20210823_192855.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 53