EVO COTY - ITV4 - Dec 22nd and 23rd

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
This months Evo was fantastic, great to be able to read all about this years ECOTY test and now see it on TV!

1608630316348.png

Zach57

RMS Regular
OP
Zach57
I see on the road is on before it so it’s 2 hours of cars on ITV4 tonight.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I’m enjoying it but then I’ve read the ECOTY mag cover to cover.

They haven’t done much in the way of explaining things to the casual viewer though - maybe had just been better to stick it on YouTube for the mag readers!

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
It has great potential but just boring presentation. That wee Yaris is in with a shout
100% agree, filming felt like a YouTube video as well, all the people definitely writers and not presenters

Actually tbf henry catchpole is pretty decent

Last edited:

Zach57

RMS Regular
OP
Zach57
It felt pretty long winded so I found myself looking at my phone instead of watching it quite a few times. I think it works better as a 20 minute YouTube video. I already read the mag so I know what happens.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Some fantastic cars but a very poor program really, less talking crap and more cars please! Also, can’t believe they left the Yaris!

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Some fantastic cars but a very poor program really, less talking crap and more cars please! Also, can’t believe they left the Yaris!
They didn’t. But I guess that reflects the program. The mag version is much better!!!

MarkM

RMS Regular
They didn’t. But I guess that reflects the program. The mag version is much better!!!

Yaris s is excluded from the Scotland trip isn’t it? I suppose there’s some company there, also though the Morgan was left as no one wanted to drive it in winter to Scotland lol

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Yaris is going to Scotland. Unless they decided to have a different set of results from the mag, then that would be really odd!

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
I
Yaris s is excluded from the Scotland trip isn’t it? I suppose there’s some company there, also though the Morgan was left as no one wanted to drive it in winter to Scotland lol
think it was a little confusing they were talking about golf gti and yaris in the same sentence and it could easily have been interpruted the yaris was not going but it was actually the golf they were refering to. Maybe i am wrong

Zach57

RMS Regular
OP
Zach57
I liked tonight’s episode, I don’t why but it was much easier to watch. It makes me want to go to Scotland for a weekend of driving.
Here’s the final scores
2FB0C524-0B7E-46A5-9411-94202730506A.jpeg

MagicRat

RMS Regular
Drives
JapScrap
Astonishing how EVO have taken 16 high performance cars to thrash round a race circuit for three days and turned it into the most boring car programme ever broadcast.

I'd rather lick the floor of an abattoir than watch the second part of this shiite.

For those who haven't watched let me save you an hour to go and do something more exciting like watching grass grow. The programme is one hour long, minus 10 minutes of adverts, and is made up of 2 minutes of cars being unloaded from transporters, 1 minute of parking in the pitlane, 2 minutes of track action and 45 minutes of the 6 dullest dullards from dullsville talking.

Whoever is responsible for this turkey should be taken out and nailed to a cross.

gavink

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 5 RS
I just caught 2 minutes at the end to see the green lambo drifting on the track....sounds like I didn’t miss much else!

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I’ve been an Evo reader since day one and the guys are a hugely knowledgable bunch of writers. Their ability to describe car dynamics and on a component level is uncanny.

But good writers do not necessarily make good TV presenters. The problem is that we’ve been brought up on a diet of Top Gear motormouths, who probably don’t have the technical know-how of Evo’s team but can command a camera and entertain. Even Catchpole and Bovingdon (who’s now on Top Gear USA) come across a little stiff and they’ve been doing videos for yonks.

jagged

RMS Regular
Drives
640D G.C. E36M3
Totally agree @Gaz ,long time evo reader myself ,in fact only mag i do read so on their wavelength, programme was a bit dragged out though , but was good to see the cars and the faces behind the pens .
Top gear with the current presenters , Chris Harris apart , is cringeworthy to watch IMO . However accept that others love it for the entertainment value .
The evo mag. Crew and Harry Metcalfe in his Harry's Garage vids know what they're talking about when it comes down it , as i believe does Clarkson.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Totally agree @Gaz ,long time evo reader myself ,in fact only mag i do read so on their wavelength, programme was a bit dragged out though , but was good to see the cars and the faces behind the pens .
Top gear with the current presenters , Chris Harris apart , is cringeworthy to watch IMO . However accept that others love it for the entertainment value .
The evo mag. Crew and Harry Metcalfe in his Harry's Garage vids know what they're talking about when it comes down it , as i believe does Clarkson.

I used to watch Top Gear a lot but found it just got too silly in recent years, like they’re constantly trying to outdo each stunt with races across Europe or driving a sofa or something equally insane. Entertaining for a lot of people, I can appreciate, but not my thing really. For my automotive fixes nowadays I find the Evo mag, Jalopniks website and Jay Leno’s YT channel does it for me

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Nearly finished the infinitely better second half of the show in the Scottish Borders. Superb roads and much better interviews.

I would have watched the rest of it sooner, but every time I turn on the ITV player I get 5 solid minutes of ads which is a nightmare.

I hope Evo do this again and also learn from feedback. Huge potential to make this very good even though the first episode fell very short. They could really make it very interesting.