Extreme E Racing Championship

steeldevil

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300h
98-extreme-e-creator-interview-desert.jpg

Spotted this in the news the other day, an all electric rally based championship.

Some further reading on the boat use for travelling between events: -

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Electric vehicles will not make anything more "sustainable", when the single biggest problem on the planet is human overpopulation, and a few cars racing about isn't doing anything to highlight or address that.

But with any form of acceptable power level...would love one of those off-road racers.

steeldevil

RMS Regular
OP
steeldevil
Drives
Lexus IS300h
Electric vehicles will not make anything more "sustainable", when the single biggest problem on the planet is human overpopulation, and a few cars racing about isn't doing anything to highlight or address that.

But with any form of acceptable power level...would love one of those off-road racers.

I'm just glad that motorsport can continue in these new forms rather than gradually dying out, yes they are not fully sustainable but certainly (in theory) reduce overall emissions from the logistics side etc.

I see the EV charging points will be powered with hydrogen generation plant.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I'm just glad that motorsport can continue in these new forms rather than gradually dying out, yes they are not fully sustainable but certainly (in theory) reduce overall emissions from the logistics side etc.

I see the EV charging points will be powered with hydrogen generation plant.

I'd say the logistics to keep them fueled and running will be just as high as a normal rally car that can just use tubs of fuel. These will need lorries to carry huge generators and maybe spare batteries...
Not as "clean" as they'd have people believe...unless all the transport is also hydrogen powered.

steeldevil

RMS Regular
OP
steeldevil
Drives
Lexus IS300h
I'd say the logistics to keep them fueled and running will be just as high as a normal rally car that can just use tubs of fuel. These will need lorries to carry huge generators and maybe spare batteries...
Not as "clean" as they'd have people believe...unless all the transport is also hydrogen powered.

You're missing the big picture, regardless of the PR wording it's all about testing new technologies and raising public awareness of climate issues (which unbelievably is still a sticking point for many people). Think bigger, like replacing the jets required to transport the team equipment to and from each country?

It's not the final solution, but perhaps a step in the right direction.

Dave..

RMS Regular
You're missing the big picture, regardless of the PR wording it's all about testing new technologies and raising public awareness of climate issues (which unbelievably is still a sticking point for many people). Think bigger, like replacing the jets required to transport the team equipment to and from each country?

I am only interested if it is exciting racing.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Indeed think bigger, because the climate is of little concern compared to human overpopulation....and EV's won't make a damn bit of difference to that.

But yes, as already said, the logistics of transporting everything to support things like that around the world are massive. Although we do need to encourage all forms of motorsport.
I am only interested if it is exciting racing.

If there are enough entrants, don't see why it wouldnt be. Watched one or two of the Rallycross, but the ones I seen had only 3 cars, which made it a little dull.
Really with such a small field, they should have thrown them in with the petrol cars too. Although it is weird watching them whining and screeching the tyres.

steeldevil

RMS Regular
OP
steeldevil
Drives
Lexus IS300h
Anyone watch this at the weekend? I'm not sure it could be called exciting but I think it shows promise.

It needs more than 3 cars in the final and show more of the knock out rounds. More racing, less commentary.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Anyone watch this at the weekend? I'm not sure it could be called exciting but I think it shows promise.

It needs more than 3 cars in the final and show more of the knock out rounds. More racing, less commentary.

It was dull, awful remote controlled car sound, forced celebrations from idiot Rosberg, just no excitement there at all for me, which sums up electric racing really

steeldevil

RMS Regular
OP
steeldevil
Drives
Lexus IS300h
It was dull, awful remote controlled car sound, forced celebrations from idiot Rosberg, just no excitement there at all for me, which sums up electric racing really

It's all a bit of a PR stunt, I think the whole championship will be the same but it might lead to something decent in the future.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I thought exactly the same! It was as dull as dishwater! I think I went out to watch the freshly painted garden fence drying before the end....