F1 2012

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Time to start warming up for next season folks.

US are back on the schedule, Bahrain too. Total of 20 races if all of them happen, but there are still question marks around US, Bahrain, and Korea.

Main rule changes seem to be:
- No blown diffuser
- One three-day in-season test
- Lapped cars can "unlap" themselves behind the safety car
- No shortcuts or cutting corners in quali/practice

All makes sense to me. US circuit looks really good, hope they pull it off.

Discuss :grinning:

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Lapped cars can "unlap" themselves behind the safety car

wat does this mean ?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
It means they will be allowed to pass the safety car and rejoin at the back, instead of clogging up the field at the restart.

This used to be the rule until recently. It was changed because people were driving around at race speed to "catch up" with the safety car train. Not sure how the new rules will deal with this, presumably similar to driving under yellow flag (no overtaking, no "fastest lap", etc.), but I think it is a good change.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Probably limited sector times to adhere to......like when the lead car is picking up the safety car.

The biggest change to the rules for this year has been slipped in virtually unnoticed imo and will lead to a lot of disiplinary action and kill any 'racing' we supposedly have:
World Motorsport Council said:
Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Ah, missed that one Dave. That is great news, no more of this weaving around and changing lines. I think this year they were allowed two changes or something like that. The new rule sounds much better.

C4L

RMS Regular
the defending rule is ridiculous, it has completely removed one element of racing. If they don't defend tight to the inside someone will slip down there, if they do they're approach will be so narrow the driver trying to overtake will just switchback underneath on exit and be a MILE clear meaning no opportunity to fight back . It's the end of drivers having to skillfully defend and great battles.
The drs this year was spot on, some tracks didn't have long enough drs zone, some too long that made it just breeze past but you can forgive that in the first year, battles will no longer exist. My opinion anyway...

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
I agree with above, If you cant' move back across to take a good line you will be a sitting duck on the exit, it will be near impossible to keep a position on the modern wide tracks. I can see how this idea can work in slower series but not formula 1. I know Schumacher can push the limits on this rule and he will to this change but you always know when he's gona have to defend that it's going to be a good watch, the cameras always cut to him in time. This is another move by the FIA to artificially improve overtaking IMO.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
This is another move by the FIA to artificially improve overtaking IMO.

nail.jpg

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
what are the bets Lewis Hamilton gets the first reprimand/penalty for this?

you have to wonder who has advised the FIA on this

C4L

RMS Regular
probably ^ doubt a lesser team will reject him with the money he brings

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I think the new rule on not moving across is great. Nothing more boring than seeing a procession of faster cars held up for half a race by a slower car, just because it is impossible to pass someone dead set on not giving in. Schumacher on Lewis, Lewis on Alonso, Massa on everyone - the list goes on of ruined races.

If the cars/drivers are on par, then the new rule will just ensure much tighter battles and much more overtaking. Just like DRS - it releases faster cars to fight each other, instead of getting stuck in a queue behind Massa or Schumacher, or Lewis for that matter.

Just my two pennies :p

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
^^ i can see the point your making , but i think there,s a fine line between
a "racing incident" and a "avoidable collision" . The intro of the former
F1 driver as the 4th steward did have a good impact when 1st brought
in but now all incidents end up with a penalty of sorts . Its the fastest
form of motor racing with milliseconds to make decisions , just let them
race i say . .

C4L

RMS Regular
I think the new rule on not moving across is great. Nothing more boring than seeing a procession of faster cars held up for half a race by a slower car, just because it is impossible to pass someone dead set on not giving in. Schumacher on Lewis, Lewis on Alonso, Massa on everyone - the list goes on of ruined races.

If the cars/drivers are on par, then the new rule will just ensure much tighter battles and much more overtaking. Just like DRS - it releases faster cars to fight each other, instead of getting stuck in a queue behind Massa or Schumacher, or Lewis for that matter.

Just my two pennies :p
see what you mean and it will aid overtaking but its also ended battles, if you defend you will have such a tight line into the corner the following car will switchback on exit and be gone, no chance to fight back or have a battle. And why shouldn't a faster car be held up by a slower car? If whoever is ahead is in a slower car they've put themselves there so its up to the other driver to find a way passed, he shouldn't be gifted a simple pass. It's not like he's going to be there in his HRTahead of a redbull in a safety car queue as that rules changed. (dunno if you guys agree but I think thats fantastic lol)
I think a better rule could have been you are still aloud 2 moves but can only move back to 1 or 2 car width of the outside (i.e the racing line) or middle of the track or something. The new rule means you can't defend atall if you want to allow yourself a run out of the corner and chance to fight back, if you come in so narrow and aren't aloud back out your going to be passed and left for dead on exit....ruins it for me a bit :worried:

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
You are not allowed to move from the racing line but ..............here have DRS to get you alongside on the way into the corner (that is the point of DRS is it not),
You cant adjust your fuel maps as much anymore but............... here, have a KERS boost for 6 seconds a lap to make the cars more uneven so we get to see some passing.

The rules they are bringing in are rules that contradict each other imo. The FIA should stop introducing stupid rules that nullify the sport and just limit the amount of wing the cars can carry......all problems solved - Cars will be slower through the corners so they will be safer and will be able to run side by side easier. Not only that but they will be able to run in a pack and pass each other without artificial, naff, American style passing aids that distract the drivers, leading to a lower standard of driving and ultimately leads to less passing.

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
The rules they are bringing in are rules that contradict each other imo. The FIA should stop introducing stupid rules that nullify the sport and just limit the amount of wing the cars can carry......all problems solved - Cars will be slower through the corners so they will be safer and will be able to run side by side easier. Not only that but they will be able to run in a pack and pass each other without artificial, naff, American style passing aids that distract the drivers, leading to a lower standard of driving and ultimately leads to less passing.[/quote]

But then a GP2 car would be faster ,or a F3.5 . . .

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
Surprised to see that change after Toro Rosso's second half to the season, Ricciardo should be a good watch!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.