F1 2016

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Your missing the point completely.
Well enlighten me.

I just don't think Lewis did anything wrong.

Obviously if it was the other way round and rosberg holding Hamilton back to try and win I wouldnt have been happy but still would have said he was doing what he needed to do to try and win the championship.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
This is why imo sports like f1 and ufc etc. are a joke. A theatre for the rich to please the sponsors. If one is faster you overtake not moan on radio! Let's hope this can change in the future and we witness some real racing again soon!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
The sooner the 2017 season starts the better.

Well done to Nico.

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Considering the history these two have had did anyone really expect Hamilton to let him through? Tactics were all he could do, should he have let him by last corner? Probably, keeps the rivalry going all the same. Congrats to Nico he did what he had to do.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, naughty but it was his only chance. It was no risk to the team or anyone else, he was never going to lose. Like a metronome - backing up in the slow bits, then upping the pace just enough before the straights to get out of drs range.

The radio was not pretty, but hey.

Nico was straight about that too, fair play to him.

Not going to go down as a great champion, he lost every way you wish to count except reliability. But that is racing, he took all his chances and made them count. A win is a win, hat off to him (y)

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
If the Lewis hamilton of the last 4 races had turned up all season I doubt he would have been runner up..... but he didn't and Rosberg capitalised on that, consistent solid drives won him the championship, same as kimi in 07'
I'm very pleased with the outcome this year, looking forward to next season already tho :grinning:

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Rosberg didn't have reliability years previous and there wasnt as much moaning. Hamiltons interview with Lee Mckenzie on c4 was harsh. Both webber and coulthard were taken back by it.

Couldn't like him if you rared him!

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Rosberg didn't have reliability years previous and there wasnt as much moaning. Hamiltons interview with Lee Mckenzie on c4 was harsh. Both webber and coulthard were taken back by it.

What did he say?

simy

RMS Regular
Glad that's over, the Rosberg hate on here the last few months had gotten tiresome.

He has no class, and some humility would go a long way to even start to like him.

The sooner the 2017 season starts the better.
Well done to Nico.
Precisely,
15241144_10154289076478402_7013835951365473814_n.jpg

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
The pair of them are fairly unlikeable to be honest.

End of the day s**t happens and Hamilton got the worst of the reliabilty as well as the worst of the starts I think too.

Rosberg kept his cool which was an improvement for him and as unremarkable as it was he still had the majority of the points at the end of the season. Hopefully Red Bull and Ferrari are on the ball from.the word go next season as well as McLaren.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I'm not a fan of either to be honest. And I actively dislike Hamilton but as a fan of racing I can't see anything wrong with what Hamilton did. Their aim is to win the drivers world championship (constructors already won) and that's what Hamilton was trying to do. It wasn't pretty, granted, but sometimes what's need to do the job isn't pretty. I personally feel any racing driver who wouldn't have done the same shouldn't be there.

Senna, Prost and Schumacher were some of the all time greats and I believe they would have done the same. All three ran people off the track/into their competitors in the last race of a season to win a championship and I hope that had Rosberg been close enough he would have done the same. And I don't really see any difference between the two.

Is Rosberg the best driver on the grid in a heads up race? Personally speaking I don't think he is.

But is his driving style more mechanically sympathetic than some? Quite possibly which over the course of a season leads to better reliability. And this IS part of F1 at the moment..

So all in Rosberg deserves to be champion.
All this is in my opinion of course.

brendy

RMS Regular
I dont like the tyre standardisation. Whats wrong with letting other companies in? was there a lack of interest or what? Seems odd that manufacturers can do what they want car wise within the guidelines but all have to use the same tyres. To me thats like making pro 10 pin bowlers use the kiddie lanes and ramps with no room for extra performance.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I dont like the tyre standardisation. Whats wrong with letting other companies in? was there a lack of interest or what? Seems odd that manufacturers can do what they want car wise within the guidelines but all have to use the same tyres. To me thats like making pro 10 pin bowlers use the kiddie lanes and ramps with no room for extra performance.
Cant fully answer but I know Michelin apparently would put a tender in to supply tyres if the regulations changes to up the rim size from 13 to 18 inch. As for now they don't want to make tyres for f1.
I think the other tyre companies that could/would make tyres for f1 don't like how the fia are controlling the compunds so much as they can't make a tyre as good as it can be etc.

Them tyres are awesome, really wish they'd up the rim sizes, thought the 18inch rims looked class.

13inch is ridiculously small and completely irrelevant to today's road cars. Ffs I can't even fit 13inch rims over my 1998 rover as they'd be too small to fit over the brakes.

Even if they went to 15 or 16 inch I think it would make a big difference to looks.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
They use small rims because they are tiny cars. And more because in F1 the tyre itself is a big part of the suspension, essentially the tyre is the spring.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I think the standard tyre is the lesser of two evils. Bad enough with whoever has the best engine wins (just look at the way Nico got past Max by simply turning up the engine and breeze past and into the distance).

We used to have different teams with different tyres and it was even worse, get the wrong tyre deal and those teams might as well not even show up. Never mind the custom and exclusive tyres of Ferrari/Schumacher...

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Them tyres are awesome, really wish they'd up the rim sizes, thought the 18inch rims looked class.

13inch is ridiculously small and completely irrelevant to today's road cars. Ffs I can't even fit 13inch rims over my 1998 rover as they'd be too small to fit over the brakes.

Even if they went to 15 or 16 inch I think it would make a big difference to looks.

F1 cars aren't meant to be relevant to road cars unlike BTCC or rally cars etc. The tech trickles down to some extent so if brakes etc necessitate bigger wheels so be it. They don't seem to be needed at the minute. At the end of the day the cars are meant to be as functional as possible within the rules, not just to look pretty,

I think the smaller wheels look good tbh, and with them going wider it'll be even better.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
They use small rims because they are tiny cars. And more because in F1 the tyre itself is a big part of the suspension, essentially the tyre is the spring.
Oh I understand that but surely a redesign if the suspension would allow larger rims.

Know they only do about half the speed but formula E cars run 18inch rims. Tho they also run Michelin pilot sport road tyres :p

The cars are light but I wouldn't say small.

Mercedes-AMG-Petronas-video.jpg

f2012-ferrarif1-03.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.