F1 2016

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Taz007

RMS Regular
Drives
E92
Well done rosberg - that sore loser hamilton is the biggest child i have ever seen.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Well done rosberg - that sore loser hamilton is the biggest child i have ever seen.
T7AG5A.gif

Gambit

RMS Regular
Hamilton is doing some amount of gurning mind! Rosberg has been in MC Hamiltons shadow his whole career and the one time he succeeds MC Hamilton is out putting him down in everyway possible

Dave..

RMS Regular
My 2p,
I thought that the only reason for racing was to win, maybe at school taking part is okay but not F1.
Lewis did what he thought was best for him and it didn`t work so now he has to take the consequences. I don`t think Senna or Schumacher would have let someone pass them if it had been their only chance to win the championship.

Shaun

RMS Regular
Exactly it made the last race of the season exciting.
Lewis could have went out and finished miles ahead of rosberg and we would be complaining why didn't he try and win the championship.
I can understand if he slowed it down so much it was dangerous driving and risking a crash but he just did enough to make it tight racing. As someone else said, I don't think vettle would have passed him anyway with them both being German.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
I don't think he would have took a mad lunge given the implications but definitely Vettel would have passed if given half a chance.

On the track Lewis did what he had to do. He backed things up without doing anything dangerous and controlled the pace which he entitled to do. Countless teams have backed people up to hinder somebody behind, usually during a pit stop period to advantage another car so I don't see any problem with it. Nico's a racer and would have done the same. Plus too, it made the race more interesting for the spectator as does anybody who disobeys team orders, plays hard or gets emotional. Last thing we need is a pile of obedient little nice chaps circling around and staying out of trouble.

Fair play to Nico, he was put under immense pressure and soaked it up without making a mistake. His handling of pressure is what won him this title this year so a worthy winner.

Max is a legend though.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Agree that it would have been more graceful to sail off in the distance and effectively giving a finger that way.

The strategy he chose instead was always a long shot anyway. Maybe if Ric had got ahead of Kimi at the start there would have been a different race. But I really don't think any of the others on the grid would really have had any interest in "spoiling the party" for Nico at the end of the day. Clearly Kimi did not, and neither did Vettel. Maybe Max would :p :innocent:

With the odds on the table the first strategy would have made him more friends. But at the end of the day, he chose the other option. Nobody was ever put at risk, but we did get a bit of excitement.

I think the fact Nico had nothing to say about it should be enough.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
As for the interviews, that is a different story. Lewis definitely needs to speak to a PR man, lol, no point sulking now it is all settled.

But again, just shows he is in it for just one thing, and effectively losing to someone you know that not just you but half the grid can beat on track every day of the week, all things being equal, well, some disappointment is understandable straight after the race. Lord knows they have all had bad interviews and acted like spoilt brats after disappointing races, not least Nico.

Just hope Lewis finds it within himself to be the bigger man once he cools down.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Mad Max for 2017 championship (y)

That would be awesome, lol :laughing:

He needs to get into a Merc first though :innocent:

Next year will be even more about engine power than now. New formula, so you never know, but it does look like favouring Mercedes again...

K55

RMS Regular
Don't quite understand the anti-Nico bias. I get the argument about Lewis having more speed, fine. Other than that Nico seems a lot more humble and like-able than his plastic American teammate. I'm not sure what he has said or done before now to warrant that attitude...?

Dave..

RMS Regular
Don't quite understand the anti-Nico bias. I get the argument about Lewis having more speed, fine. Other than that Nico seems a lot more humble and like-able than his plastic American teammate. I'm not sure what he has said or done before now to warrant that attitude...?

I think its great he won, not his fault Lewis`s car was unreliable.

EP3 James

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
Don't think there was anything wrong with what Lewis done. He wants to win - he's a winner. Like stated above, the constructors championship was won. You take every opportunity you could get to win. Imagine if Senna hada done something similar... Oh wait.

Imagine saying Nico isn't going to go down as a great world champion.

He's the world champion this year because he finished the season with the most points. Doesn't really matter how or why he has the most, he has the most. World champion so congratulations Nico. :grinning:

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
I can understand if he slowed it down so much it was dangerous driving and risking a crash but he just did enough to make it tight racing.

His last lap was 9 seconds slower than his pole time lol

He reckons the better man didn't win the title yesterday and wants 'equal' machinery next year.

pablo

RMS Moderator
so lewis was backing up the pack considerably and Kimi/Max/Daniel/Nico all could do f**k all with it. Seb was the only man doing much racing and even then because he was on fresh tyres.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
A lot are missing the point, it is a sponsor/money orientated sport, imagine all the merc and merc amg sales that are going to come from a rich host country, now if a wee ferrari wiggles its way between the 2 merc cars then a some people are going to order a ferrari rather than the all conquering mercs

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
A lot are missing the point, it is a sponsor/money orientated sport, imagine all the merc and merc amg sales that are going to come from a rich host country, now if a wee ferrari wiggles its way between the 2 merc cars then a some people are going to order a ferrari rather than the all conquering mercs
I would agree if if was a normal race mid season.

But when it's the last race of the season and Hamiltons only hope of winning was for vettel etc to pass Rosberg then I feel isles sort of justified.

Yes he disobeyed team orders and I'm sure he'll get a kick in the hole for that but I don't agree with the team giving him orders like that when all he's trying to do is win the championship.

I just think this is something we are all going to have to agree to disagree on lol

stevyg

RMS Regular
Nico Fecking Rosberg...

Actually thought it was a good race, my heart sank when Max spun on the opening lap because I knew he would be the only one who realistically could beat Rosberg and once he would get in front, he's hard to overtake. Still a good recovery from him.

Hamilton backed the pack up of course, sure everyone does it after a SC on the restart to the cars behind so they can get a jump and leave the person behind in the clutches of the person behind them. I wouldn't expect anyone else to do differently in his position, I'd back Rosberg/anyone else into freaking last week if I could if it meant I would win the championship rather than them. Lewis was in control of the race so he had that luxury. It would be ludicrous to give P1 to Rosberg, Hamilton was praying up until they crossed the line that Nico would blow up, get tagged by Vettel or lock-up, all Rosberg needed to do was lock-up and lose 1.1 seconds and he would have came home 4th. Lets be honest Rosberg didn't care where he finished, even if he had a DNF on the first lap as long as Hamilton didn't get more than 12 points he didn't give a rip as long as he won the championship at the end of the day. Hamilton did all he could and Nico still won, no hard feelings, they've done worse to each other at different points in the season, backing up the pack just made it more exciting for us to watch.

I think Nico was a fairly undeserving champion this year but still a huge congrats to him, his consistency paid off in the end, its fresh for F1 to have a different winner too.

Vettel had a great drive, I think he would have overtook Nico if he had a clean chance. His results and future at Ferrari is more important than Rosbergs Nationality, lets not forget he's Monegasque, not German.

Anyone else see Bernie & Rosberg after the race? I wonder what Bernie meant when he said to Rosberg that he wanted to tell him what he thinks but he can't say anything because there's cameras there?

Looking forward to 2017 for a shake up, if Redbull can throw any sort of competitive car together, Max is in with a good shot at the Championship.

Almost forgot..big congrats to Haas on their debut season, they had a brilliant start in F1 for a brand new team.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Agree about Haas, great start (y)

Even if they did effectively run last year's Ferrari.

Wonder if they will do their own development at some point, or stay as a Ferrari satellite team?

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Oh I understand that but surely a redesign if the suspension would allow larger rims.

Know they only do about half the speed but formula E cars run 18inch rims. Tho they also run Michelin pilot sport road tyres :p

The cars are light but I wouldn't say small.

Mercedes-AMG-Petronas-video.jpg

f2012-ferrarif1-03.jpg

The suspension is as stiff as it is due to the high aerodynamic loads. The cars already scrape at various points of the tracks, they can't exactly go any softer without sacrificing down force :p

The chunky 13's act as a form of suspension at lower speeds when the springs basically don't move.

Formula E use 18's partly because the tracks have slower corner speeds and remove those high down force corners, allowing for a softer spring. And partly because its a development championship and more focused on providing us info to improve road car technology, so the 18's are more relevant.

100% on the size thing, they are hefty looking things up close.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.