F1 2019: ALL CHAT HERE

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
If I were Vettel I'd think I'd be unlikely to win more championships with Ferrari. More likely to scrap for second with RB.

Then look at Alonso and how much fun and winning there is to be had elsewhere without all the baggage of F1. Or even look at Button.

Add to that another feisty young team mate. It's just like when Max literally drove him out of RB.

Could see Ricciardo doing the same calculation. For him, give it a couple of years to see what he and Renault can do, then call it a day.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Bottas could end up at Ferrari with Ocon taking the second Mercedes seat.
Doubt Hamilton will leave Mercedes after all these years winning with Mercedes power behind him and you wouldn’t bet against him getting close to Michael’s record of 7 WDC’s now.

Not sure where else Charles could go to be honest, he’s too good not to be in a front running car so his only option is to sit tight and hope Ferrari sort it all out.

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
I could see Vettel & Charles both leaving Ferrari. Hamilton & Mick Schumacher joining Ferrari, Bottas & Max at Mercedes, Charles at RB. That would be interesting!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Charles at RB alongside Max would be mega, and would actually make sense, lol. RB are catching Ferrari.

Can't see it happening, but it would be awesome :cool:

Lewis is going nowhere, there is nothing for him anywhere else but where he is now. It's his team, 110%. It's made for him, run for him, set up around him. Plus he has a chance at the 7+... It's still long odds for that, but he will have his eye on it for sure.

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
Watched David Letterman's My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with Lewis Hamilton last night, what a great watch! Recommended.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Charles at RB alongside Max would be mega, and would actually make sense, lol. RB are catching Ferrari.

Can't see it happening, but it would be awesome :cool:

Lewis is going nowhere, there is nothing for him anywhere else but where he is now. It's his team, 110%. It's made for him, run for him, set up around him. Plus he has a chance at the 7+... It's still long odds for that, but he will have his eye on it for sure.

If Charles can wind his neck in he might as well run in Ferrari until Vettel retires and be top dog.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Another mistake from Vettel when under pressure whether the penalty was deserved or not.

I can see why it was given but it was harsh and spoiled a good, honest motor race. Kudos to both of them for pumping in those laps whilst managing overheating issues.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That was controversial, lol 😂

I'm 50/50 on this one. He pushed Lewis out to the wall, only reason there was no accident was because Lewis managed to avoid it.

That's the wrong way round.

That said, there is all the "what was Vettel supposed to do" and "where was he supposed to go", etc.

The argument will have been about intent or not on Vettel's part re "defending" his position after rejoining by pushing Lewis into the wall. Knowing Vettel, I wouldn't put that past him. The Stewards may well have seen something in the telemetry swaying them that way.

On balance probably a "racing incident". Lewis forced Vettel to make an error again, and Vettel panicked. Maybe should have left it at that.

And 5s is probably the lightest penalty there is?

Other than that, nothing really happened, lol. Bottas got stuck in the midfield as usual, taking forever to get past much slower cars. Max didn't have the performance to really do something.

Gasly did really well all of a sudden, and Renault did a sterling job as well.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep. No idea if that option was even available here. Penalty served the same purpose.

Ferrari have appealed.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
Tough call with regards the Vettel incident.

Yes, Vettel has no choice of where to go to a certain degree, but the in car footage shows Vettel clearly steer right towards the wall.

That could be viewed two ways, either as an aggressive move to close Hamilton out or as a correction to possible oversteer, which only The telemetry can confirm.

Vettel sorta incrimated himself during the final laps by saying “where was I supposed to go, if I went to the inside he would have passed me”. That sorta leans toward it being an intentional opening of the steering! It also shows that he had clear awareness of what the mistake meant and that he knew Hamilton was that close.

Also, something Hamilton said must be taken note off: “when you leave the track you’re not supposed to go straight to the racing line, you’re supposed to rejoin safely”.

Vettel went straight to the racing line. Wether intentional or not is hard to say admittedly.

That said, I think it was a harsh decision because it’s hard to say with much certainty that it was an intentional move.

Maybe the decision was made based on Vettel’s previous form? He has been known to perform questionable moves like this in the past!

Last edited:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Bloody hell the BBC sport articles by Benson are tough reading. Really solid, impartial journalism there! A schoolkid studying journalism could likely do as good if not a better job.

I'd be of the opinion that it was a racing incident, more or less, but that the 5 sec penalty was about as lenient as could have been given for punishment.

What is amusing is that with the sizeable amount of people who complain about how polished F1 drivers are nowadays there are still a lot who are complaining about Vettel after the race. Surely that's doing what people want, unpredictable and all that.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Yep. No idea if that option was even available here. Penalty served the same purpose.

Ferrari have appealed.

The penalty was harsher imo, as Vettel had no chance to win. All Lewis had to do was sit on his gearbox and cruise home. At least if he gave the place he could have come back and won buy 0.00001s and it would have stood.

To be fair he wasnt going to do that, but at least it would have been fair

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.