F1 2019: ALL CHAT HERE

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I think Riccardo's penalties are fair enough. Kimi blocked the inside right up to the edge of the track, then Riccardo went fully off the track to pass, if it had been grass he wouldn't have done that.

Same with the Norris pass. Carried too much speed and couldn't keep the car on the track, then when he came back on Lando had to take avoiding action which allowed two other cars (which probably wouldn't have got passed him before the end of the race) to pass him.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I think Riccardo's penalties are fair enough. Kimi blocked the inside right up to the edge of the track, then Riccardo went fully off the track to pass, if it had been grass he wouldn't have done that.

Same with the Norris pass. Carried too much speed and couldn't keep the car on the track, then when he came back on Lando had to take avoiding action which allowed two other cars (which probably wouldn't have got passed him before the end of the race) to pass him.
Agree with this, yes it was the only exciting thing to happen in the race but his overtakes were done off the track

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I thought they were different from Vettel in the last race, and Max last year.

But all shades of grey I guess. I see the points made above, just seemed over pedantic in this case. He backed off against Norris precisely to not gain an advantage and lost a place to Kimi in the process. The pass on Kimi was definitely aggressive and borderline, but I believe there was always a wheel inside the line so technically on track.

We used to complain about Max and others being too aggressive (he/they were). Not least Vettel did 😇

So the rules got tightened up and clarified. Now the pendulum has swung the other way and basically anything other than a straight line DRS pass, or someone just letting you past, will be a penalty.

Ah well, can't have it both ways 😇

pablo

RMS Moderator
Danny Ric relies on blind luck and a cheeky smile at times. He is a talented enough driver but seems to think he is still in a RB

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
The pass on Kimi was definitely aggressive and borderline, but I believe there was always a wheel inside the line so technically on track.

Which line was that lol

4A7CE639-49A0-4FAC-B4F0-02EEDEB70684.png

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
All bread & no meat, literally. First lap & last lap were the ones to watch. But again can’t take anything away from Mercedes for doing an amazing job. As has already been said, the track by nature is boring, there’s too many run off areas. In the interest of safety they’ve had to dumb down the track so there’s just no balance. It needs some grass & gravel traps. I’m disappointed in Danny Rics attitude, he was asked what he thought of the stewards decision and he said how about this, f**k them all. Sounds like he’s trying too hard to act like a billy big nuts, he clearly broke the rules. Poor sportsmanship. Great to see McLaren up near the front, super drive from Norris he’s my favourite new comer. Him & Max do a lot of E racing together not only are they are similar in driving style but they know each others driving style very well, will be good to see them both as team mates some day.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Mercedes not having it their own way this weekend.

Brilliant quali by Leclerk, and Norris too!

Not a bad effort by Lewis, but didn't see what happened with him and Kimi.

All look pretty well matched, Max in there too. Might be a good race.

Reactions: DC.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Short track with little room for error makes it close. Proper run-offs too 🙂
With Bottas and Hamilton starting 3rd and 4th respectively they should be chasing Leclerc down for the win. Charles is on a different tyre strategy to those around him so will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Hopefully Norris has a good race, turning out to be a star this year. Real impressive. McLaren definitely on the up at long, long last. Williams should take note.

Can’t be any worse than last weeks Car Park Grand Prix.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
Mercedes not having it their own way this weekend.

Brilliant quali by Leclerk, and Norris too!

Not a bad effort by Lewis, but didn't see what happened with him and Kimi.

All look pretty well matched, Max in there too. Might be a good race.

the bit with lewis and kimi was a genuine lol moment

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That was worth holding out for :cool:

"Leave me alone" 😅

Unlucky for Leclerc but thoroughly well deserved by Max, what a recovery drive! Superb racing between both of them, Max just had the tyres in the end.

Honda will be celebrating too!

Mercedes nowhere to be seen, and Vettel pretty lucklustre too. Yes, squeezed past Lewis right at the end on newer softer tyres but that was after Lewis had had the whole nose cone replaced.

Don't really know what else happened but great driving again by Norris at the start.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Mercedes say they were suffering from overheating, "lift and coast" for 400m per lap to manage cooling. Never really had a chance.

Might mix things up heading into hotter tracks now unless they manage to get on top of it. It appears to have been there since the start of the season so presumably no quick fix for it...

Bryan

RMS Regular
That was the best F1 race I have watched in a long long time. Max was just on fire towards the end. I think he needed that false start to get into the mindset he needed. On the other hand though Gasly needs to up his game pretty quick. Llando Norris could be up there with Max if he had that Red Bull.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
He certainly had no fear mixing it with the big boys out on track at the start!

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
Amazing race & well done Max. Felt bad for Charles who controlled the race until the last 2 laps close but no cigar, Ferrari still haven’t won a race since Kimi USA 2018. Wee bit of a cheeky overtake from Max, he was capable of doing it more cleanly and give the stewards nothing to question but glad they took no action even though he did purposely push Charles by turning in so late. Actually hard to believe this is his 5th year in F1 and that was only his 6th win. Paddock talk of him joining Mercedes next year. Another solid drive from Norris. Vettel not doing much, he still couldn’t get fastest lap even with new tyres, Mercedes should’ve pitted Hamilton to cover Vettel at the same time. Ferrari started on the wrong tyres, they should have started on the mediums. Bottas hung on well for 3rd, Hamilton having a bad day, new wing, had to run the engine in safe mode because of overheating & he couldn’t stay off those sausage kerbs. Toto was saying after the race that they package everything so well at Mercedes once they open the car up to aid cooling like that for hot tracks, the car is a dog. Gasly getting lapped by his team mate surely puts the nail in the coffin for him? What happened KMag, was 5th in quali and ended up 19th? F1s been overdue an exciting race.

nice to see Kubica win driver of the day, despite being lapped by his teammate that he started 3 places in front of.
It took the stewards 3 hours to make a decision on Max & Charles because they were waiting on Kubica on finishing the race.

Manta

RMS Member
I really enjoyed sundays f1, Ive always been a big fan of Max and his abilties as a race driver but he completely blew my mind and surprised me the way he was coasting by ferraris and mercedes cars...I think he was feared on that track on Sunday and to lap your team mate that finishes 7th is unheard of for me... what a job Max :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.