F1 2019: ALL CHAT HERE

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Watched this race and you can see the focus now from Hamilton I think to become the most successful driver ever and surpass Shumachers amount of wins and titles.

If he stays at merc and keeps going I can see it happening. IMO only Max can stop him l, if I was Merc I’d be seriously looking at max as a long term replacement for Lewis.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Given Lewis still has a few seasons in him yet I think it would be dangerous to move Max to Merc any time soon. Even ferrari have hedged their bets with Charles so not ideal there either.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
On current form I don’t see why Max would want to leave Red Bull. He’s the clear no.1 driver, arguably the best team with an ever improving power train from Honda. More Euros is the only thing he could be chasing.

Mercedes will be keen to get Ocon in there next year then see what plays out for 2021. Whoever replaces Bottas will be under incredible pressure; going up against a dominant Hamilton and having to help Mercedes retain constructors titles. No easy task.

Great racing today by Hamilton and Verstappen. Max was left with little defence come the end as his tyres were ‘dead’. Shows the advantage they both had over the rest of the field when Lewis could make a free pitstop in order to chase Max for the last 20 laps. Kudos to Mercedes for going for it and to Lewis for pumping in the laps.

Redemption as such from last weekend.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's the amazing bit and shows it's not just "in the best car". Both of them a full minute ahead of anyone else, more again ahead of their team mates in identical cars. That's the driver difference.

I suspect they both used up quite a bit of engine today though.

As for teams, neither of them are going anywhere. Both tied in, both where they need to be, both doing an amazing job.

It's surely going to be Occon with Lewis next year, with Russell as a dark horse. Russell would mean less friction in the team and more development experience. Occon possibly ultimately faster but less experience.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Both Ocon and Russell need another year at a midfield team before moving up to a championship team.

Ocon should go to Williams, and Mercedes should give Williams some help to bring them back into the mid field.

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
Really enjoyed that one. I agree about Bottas, it might be all over for him. He couldn’t keep out of trouble, locking up twice and couldn’t get through the pack. His only saving grace might be his good qualifying record but we will see. I heard Nico Rosberg saying that Max’s contract said if he wasn’t top 3 by the summer break he could get out of his contract so I guess now he’ll be at RB for another year.
Ferrari struggling again on the high downforce tracks, it’s going to be a tough summer break for them but I hope they can get a few wins in the 2nd half of the season, I can't imagine how many heads will roll if they go for a season with no wins. RedBull just coming alive with Verstappen, great driving from him. It shows the difference a driver can make to a car when you compare Max & Lewis to their teammates. Hard to believe that was his first Pole. That track is a lot more suited to the RB, they had the faster car so it was their race to lose but Mercedes had the gap to try the pitstop and it turned out to be the right call, they had nothing to lose. I was sure Max was going to win that one even 5 or 6 laps into Lewis last pitstop it just didn’t seem like he had the pace but he rung the neck out of that car and comfortably passed Max whos tyres were gone. I bet that was fun for Hamilton being able to drive as hard as he can on new tyres, engine turned up to 11. Some great driving from them early on too, you could tell Hamilton was giving Max a lot more space than he would have if it was any other driver. Still nervous going wheel to wheel with him!
Gasly having another terrible race but well done to Sainz, McLaren are finding their feet again which is great to see. Kimi had another amazing race, he still deserves to be in F1. I’m sure Ricciardo is sick to see his old team mate with 9 times more points than him only half way through the season. Hamilton now only 10 wins short of Schumacher and 9 races left this season, I can really see him getting that 92nd win before the end of the 2020 season which will be mind blowing. But a young whippersnapper Alonso came and knocked the crown off Schumacher when he was at his peak, will Max do the same with Lewis?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I think LeClerc is easily as good as Max. He's just not as overtly aggressive and lacking a little experience. Give him another season with the right guidance and he'll be right up there.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3

Gasley out of RedBull, Albon in.

Seems like a mistake to me, Albon isn't ready for the step up yet, its not fair on him.

Seems to me they want to give Albon a run in the car so they can evaluate their options at the end of the season against him and Kvyat

So much for Horner and Marko saying they will give him until the end of the season although being lapped by your team mate in two races does not sit well.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
They don't pull their punches at RB!

I don't know why Albon wouldn't be ready?

If he can't step up now then he won't later either. He's been given a golden ticket, now he has to step up and make the best of it.

Cinister - yes, for sure. That's life in F1, and especially at RB. It works both ways - he gets a go in the big seat, and RB get to test where his ability can take him.

Make or break time.

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
Fair enough, too bad for him but he really hasn't performed well. Why would they say publicly he's safe until the end of the season then literally a week later, demote him? I hate how shady F1 is, whatever they say it's usually the opposite that's true.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I don't know why Albon wouldn't be ready?

I think the rookies need a bit of time to get used to F1 before they are put in one of the front teams.
They need time to get used to the more complicated cars, the higher level of performance, the new tracks, the different tyres, the big teams, the media spotlight, etc..

If Max beats Albon in every session, which he probably will, could Albon's F1 career be over and done in 1 season? That would seem a terrible shame.

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
:neutral: Bold move. It will be interesting to see how he does. I like Bottas, he's a great driver and I'm sure he will have no problem finding a drive next year. I think this shows how good Nico really was when he was along side Hamilton. Ocon didn't set the world on fire at Force India last year but I thought he done well enough to keep a seat. It's a funny business F1, going from being dropped by a mid ranking team to getting to drive for the #1 team...good for him maybe it's another young star to throw into the middle of Max & LeClerc.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.