F1 2019: ALL CHAT HERE

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

MagicRat

RMS Regular
Drives
JapScrap
Just my 2 cents worth on the changes for 2021.....it won't change F1. It's not the engine regs or aerodynamic regs that need to change it's the majority of circuits used that need to change.

Regardless of what the configuration the cars is, was or will be, the same circuits produce good or great races and that will be the same during 2021 and beyond. Unfortunately most of the circuits used in F1 just do not produce even mildly interesting races.

If I was the CEO of Liberty Media I'd be looking at circuit changes before car changes. The only races that I'd guarantee a place on the calendar would be: Canada, USA, Brazil, Belgium, Italy, Germany and Austria. The problem would be finding alternatives to all the others ( even with not charging the $ that Bernie was extorting ).

I look at Abu Dhabi and I could cry. They had a blank cheque, no planning restrictions and they FUBAR. FFS even the cowboys behind Lake Torrent came up with a better looking circuit.

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
Id add a few more to that list, Suzuka & Silverstone are amazing tracks too. There are a few boring tracks but if you watch some of the lesser series racing on those tracks there's plenty of action. On the other hand a lot of great tracks have the usual precession. Theres a lot of things that make a great race, inclement weather, SC, someone on the podium who doesn't usually get there, unpredictability is the key. Hopefully closer racing adds to that.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Formula 1 would be a lot worse off if Mercedes decided to withdraw.
I know they (car maker) cut a lot of jobs recently in Germany so it wouldn’t be a total surprise.
I remember reading something with Ross Brawn and he was saying off the record Mercedes were begging for a budget cap just as much as the smaller teams as the amount of money they are pouring into it is not sustainable and they are in a position where they can’t be seen to be backing down and reducing the budget to the team.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
No idea who this chap is, but well done to him (y)

Edit: Just saw he was dropped from the RB development programme last year. Bit of a chequered history before then with a two-year ban at one point. Will be racing in F2 next year alongside testing for Williams.

An odd one, lol, but good on him for hanging in I guess. Does he come with money?

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's rumour season :joy:

Toto to Ferrari as well now? The rumour mill is getting desperate :joy: Toto wouldn't be allowed anywhere else without a couple of years of gardening leave first.

Toto was mentioned to take over running F1 from 2021, but Ferrari have said they wouldn't accept that even if it were true.

Lewis has been to two parties where the Ferrari chairman also happened to be present.

Make of that what you want.

For 2021 all is up in the air. Where Lewis goes depends on where Mercedes will be after 2021. And what happens in the championship next year. And whether Toto stays as team boss at Mercedes.

Neither is settled and won't be until the contract with Mercedes is finalised. They are still talking to Lewis, still talking to Toto, and still talking to F1 about beyond 2020.

There will be plenty more click-bait rumours before the dust settles 😁

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Toto and Lewis going to Ferrari rumour was started by Eddie Jordan - make of that you will.

All these rumours are good for Netflix and their viewer numbers for the second season of ‘Drive to Survive’.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
2020 thread here:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.