F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
jesus wept....class for Norris, shame for Albon however, he had Shamilton fair and square

Dave..

RMS Regular
Fantastic result for Norris, poor luck for Albon. Hopefully next week he makes it stick.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
I disagree with the Hamilton penalty. I think it was a 50/50 fault, a racing incident at best.

But yea, Vettel has completely lost his edge!

That was my take on it too, just a racing incident. Tough weekend for him. Stewards mucking about with his grid drop (got it wrong first time) and that clash with Albon. Definitely had the pace to go at Bottas too.

next weekend will be interesting for a reaction.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
Hamilton slam dunk penalty for me. Thought he could bully Albion. He sure as hell wouldn’t do that to Max. I’m a Hamilton fan also so no bias.

Leclerc is getting some serious stick online for not kneeling especially because he has a younger following who are more represented on twitter and reddit. Personally his argument was stupid imo he said he didn’t believe in gestures which is fair enough but after the race on the podium he ran over and grabbed an ‘End Racism’ t shirt and made sure the 3 drivers posed with it. Good to see he got 2nd but that Ferrari straight line pace is going to hamper them all season. Seems they have a lot of dirty downforce.

Happy for Norris, very much deserved!

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
2B580DD5-CBFC-471B-830B-69062B813EEF.jpeg

He’d have to have used a bit of kerb but there was room for Albon to get past.

If you listen to the replay Hamilton lifts the throttle on the exit when Albon is alongside.

As much as I dislike Lewis, I find it hard to pin this one on him.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
View attachment 286104

If you listen to the replay Hamilton lifts the throttle on the exit when Albon is alongside.

It would be interesting to see what his apex speed was the lap before vs the collision. It was clear he had understeer but was that from trying to carry too much entry speed to defend or just worn used tyres.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
View attachment 286104

Yea Albon was carrying a lot of speed in the corner, no doubt due to the fresher and soft tyres, he clearly turned in on Hamilton when he could have just held the steering open for a fraction of a second longer.

Hamilton has the racing line, but perhaps could have pulled in a little more, but I doubt he had the grip.

That’s why I believe it’s a racing incident with a 50/50 blame split.

Harsh penalty in my eyes, a lot worse incidents got off with less in previous races.

Hell even the Norris incidents weren’t too dissimilar really, yet he got nothing despite coming off the better out of the two drivers in his incident.

SlowRider

RMS Regular
In the run up to the season starting I heard rumours that it would be boring if they were on the same track twice as the end result would be the same. I look forward to another predictable result next weekend.

(Yeah, yeah, I know Mercedes will probably dominate all year but ignore that and enjoy the rest of the field.)

P.S. I can't believe Russell would have been in with a good points scoring position.

SlowRider

RMS Regular
Apparently Redbull had two new front wings this weekend but Max damaged his in practice so the team swapped Albon's onto Max's car for quali and race. With them both on the new wing next weekend they could take the fight to Mercedes. I assume Mercedes will also need to run higher ground clearance next weekend so avoid kerb damage so they may not be as fast.

Robert

RMS Trader
And fair play to LeClerc, kept the head down, had a bit of luck due to cars in front of him going off track and retiring but ultimately reaped the rewards, great points for a very poor weekend.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, well done Charles. A lot of luck in that, he made no secret of that himself after, lol. But he made the most of every chance he got, fair play and well done (y)

Albon and Norris had very good days in the office too, just bad luck for Albon in the end.

Apart from that, that was one messy race all round, lol. A lot of cob webs to blow off for drivers and teams alike.

Mercedes: Fantastically quick but they didn't have it all their own way. Never really threatened and they will come back stronger next week, but a bit of a reliability wobble.

Ferrari: Oh my oh my... "Draggy down the straights " was the official line... Other analysis points to the engine being well down compared to last year... Go figure... Though the aero may be part of the story as well, basically they appear to be running the high downforce strategy of last year but without the "extra" engine power to make up for it down the straights. Updates on the way for Silverstone.

RB: Still the dark horse, lol. Getting the soft tyres on Albon was inspired and should have earned them a podium. I'm still not sure they have the package to challenge for wins consistently, but they can definitely do it when things go their way.

McL: Hard to tell with Austria being such a unique circuit, but showing good form!

Bottas: Sterling job up front, and managing all those restarts plus the "no curbs" directive.

Lewis: Well, what can you say? Austria has always been his worst circuit but that was messy. Notch it up as a bad first day and move on really... The quali penalty was harsh but fair. Yes, there were green flags immediately after that yellow board but yellow is still yellow. The race penalty really was 50/50, the dice just didn't roll his way. Onwards and up.

Vettel: 😳🤐 Sad to watch, it really is. Just like Michael in his "come-back" years and Alonso. Can't see him staying in F1 unless he gets his head in gear, and even then I'm not sure.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
Vettel: 😳🤐 Sad to watch, it really is. Just like Michael in his "come-back" years and Alonso. Can't see him staying in F1 unless he gets his head in gear, and even then I'm not sure

Im a big fan, so obviously bias, but i imagine it to be getting liked getting sacked in work, but having to stay there for a few months on notice and getting the ****ty desk in the dark corner, perhaps if he had a new surrounding that might be the kick up the arse required, whether thats in a mid field team or something. goodness knows, but he sounds like he wants to be there next season. Now we know its not about the money for sure.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
First day back at school for a lot of people over the weekend.

Safety cars made it a stop/start race which always makes it hard to keep an interest in for me.

Hopefully we get rain this weekend at some stage to shake it up again.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.