F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I do think both of Hamiltons penaltys were pretty unfair, but it happens.

The Perez incident was much more deserving of a penalty, did he get one?

I see Vettel got a warning letter from the FIA for going into the Red Bull team 'bubble' to talk to Horner and Marko (without a mask too).

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
Watched the first few laps, and the last ten. So I enjoyed it. They should just make it a 25-30 lap race, get rid of the boring bit in the middle

Reactions: DC.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
That was talked about for Saturday afternoons. A ‘Sprint Race’ if you like.

Give them fuel for 25/30 laps and 2 sets of tyres. Lighter cars and no need to worry about nursing tyres for a long stint. Let them race away.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Just bring back refuelling and at least the strategies could be a bit more interesting.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
_20200706_091546.JPG

stevyg

RMS Regular
Awesome race! Bottas always starts the season strong, could 2020 be his year? Mercedes doing another smashing job with their car being well ahead, if it wasn't for the safety cars they would have lapped the field and Austria isn't even one of their strongest tracks.
Ferrari in the weeds slower than last year, incredible job from LeClerc you couldn't ask for any better with that car. Vettel must have been drunk, you could see a mile away his move was only going to end in misery.
Brilliant to see Norris on the podium, he deserves it and super happy for McLaren considering their recent struggles. Fastest lap too, get in!
I can't remember Austria being that rough on cars, they dropped like flies but thats F1.
RedBull were whiny this weekend, the DAS, grid penalty overturn & Albon incident. The grid penalty was fair enough though you could argue either way, the yellow was after the turn on one side of the track and the other side had green flags waving. But the 5 second penalty was definitely harsh imo, complete racing incident. At the start of the race Albon squeezed Hamilton off the track at turn 1 and made him run off the track then again at turn 4 almost identical the their incident Hamilton got penalised for and Lewis had to brake to get out of the move. Albon needed a bit more patience that's all, he had plenty of room to make the move but to be sure he really should've waited and got him on the straight. Patience young grasshopper.

Mercedes made a few blunders with the strategy. Should've brought one car in at least during the 2nd to last safety car to cover RedBull instead of keeping them both out or let Bottas allow Hamilton through so he could build up a gap to secure 2nd once he got the penalty. They had options and didn't do either, they were lucky to win that one actually!

Looking forward to the next race, same time same track next week.

If Hamilton was gifted his place in f1, his six championships tell a different story.

Other motor sport series have more diversity in them for example. I watched a thing on sky f1 this afternoon and prior to Hamilton, who was f1's first black race starter, there was one black test driver who was excluded from starting by the team's owner.

Whatever your opinion of Hamilton, he has a point but more so, his place was earned. For all the Hulkinbergs and Kobeyashis who showed promise, they are plenty of Maldonados and Kyvats.

Willy T Ribbs. What a legend. Watch the documentary about him called Upitty.

Leclerc is getting some serious stick online for not kneeling especially because he has a younger following who are more represented on twitter and reddit. Personally his argument was stupid imo he said he didn’t believe in gestures which is fair enough but after the race on the podium he ran over and grabbed an ‘End Racism’ t shirt and made sure the 3 drivers posed with it.
LeClercs argument wasn't stupid at all. He said everyone has the right to express themselves however they please and what matters are facts and behaviors in our daily life. I couldn't agree more, facts do matter and I'm glad he's educated himself on them. Kneeling during a national anthem is disrespectful and asking people to do something they aren't comfortable with actually has the opposite effect of bring people together, its very divisive. This is a perfect example. I'm glad he has the backbone to stand up for what he believes is the right thing to do, he's gained a ton of respect from me.

pablo

RMS Moderator
I dont think Merc wanted to show "team orders" to let Lewis past and have the haters be proven right that they favour Lewis, especially now in the BLM era of F1. Even if he still only would have came 2nd/3rd it would have been a negative impact on Bottas's role in the team etc

stevyg

RMS Regular
I don't think Bottas wouldn't have let him through either, he would be worried Lewis would pull 5+ seconds on him. I'll happily bow out of watching F1 when "BLM" start deciding race outcomes. Mercedes dropped the ball that's all. They could've pitted one or both cars to cover RB but didn't.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
Awesome race! Bottas always starts the season strong, could 2020 be his year? Mercedes doing another smashing job with their car being well ahead, if it wasn't for the safety cars they would have lapped the field and Austria isn't even one of their strongest tracks.
Ferrari in the weeds slower than last year, incredible job from LeClerc you couldn't ask for any better with that car. Vettel must have been drunk, you could see a mile away his move was only going to end in misery.
Brilliant to see Norris on the podium, he deserves it and super happy for McLaren considering their recent struggles. Fastest lap too, get in!
I can't remember Austria being that rough on cars, they dropped like flies but thats F1.
RedBull were whiny this weekend, the DAS, grid penalty overturn & Albon incident. The grid penalty was fair enough though you could argue either way, the yellow was after the turn on one side of the track and the other side had green flags waving. But the 5 second penalty was definitely harsh imo, complete racing incident. At the start of the race Albon squeezed Hamilton off the track at turn 1 and made him run off the track then again at turn 4 almost identical the their incident Hamilton got penalised for and Lewis had to brake to get out of the move. Albon needed a bit more patience that's all, he had plenty of room to make the move but to be sure he really should've waited and got him on the straight. Patience young grasshopper.

Mercedes made a few blunders with the strategy. Should've brought one car in at least during the 2nd to last safety car to cover RedBull instead of keeping them both out or let Bottas allow Hamilton through so he could build up a gap to secure 2nd once he got the penalty. They had options and didn't do either, they were lucky to win that one actually!

Looking forward to the next race, same time same track next week.

Willy T Ribbs. What a legend. Watch the documentary about him called Upitty.

LeClercs argument wasn't stupid at all. He said everyone has the right to express themselves however they please and what matters are facts and behaviors in our daily life. I couldn't agree more, facts do matter and I'm glad he's educated himself on them. Kneeling during a national anthem is disrespectful and asking people to do something they aren't comfortable with actually has the opposite effect of bring people together, its very divisive. This is a perfect example. I'm glad he has the backbone to stand up for what he believes is the right thing to do, he's gained a ton of respect from me.

Youre correct everyone does but a few tweets and Instagram posts don’t seem to mean much amid all the talking he has been doing. He races for the most historic team that represents a country which continues to have monkey chants during football games and whose fans have worn blackface at Monza. This would have been the perfect opportunity to show some backbone. He took the easy way out. As he said himself he was concerned about creating controversy. He could have kneeled beside the drivers and stood for the national anthem. Just to add when they did kneel there wasn’t a national anthem being played.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Youre correct everyone does but a few tweets and Instagram posts don’t seem to mean much amid all the talking he has been doing. He races for the most historic team that represents a country which continues to have monkey chants during football games and whose fans have worn blackface at Monza. This would have been the perfect opportunity to show some backbone. He took the easy way out. As he said himself he was concerned about creating controversy. He could have kneeled beside the drivers and stood for the national anthem. Just to add when they did kneel there wasn’t a national anthem being played.

I’d love to see Ferrari have a seriously poor year, the whole team has an entitled mentality, I honestly think they’ve done more harm than good over the years with their veto, Italians in general are also racially backward

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Ferrari are disliked by a lot of the paddock. Media people will tell you everything you want to know with regards to their attitudes and working practices.

Not sure if the same is true for the other Italian outfit, Alpha Tauri.

scub

Banned
what had the nationality of the team he races for got to do with anything.?
unless of course you'd like to use that same tenuous link on Mercedes or BMW?
but that wouldn't suit the Offended by Everything brain dead minorities agenda would it.....

Dave..

RMS Regular
lot of stuff on FB about how Merc made cars for Hitler etc and how Lewis should be ashamed of himself etc. utter garbage.
Some older people who lived through the war still are bitter BUT the same people drive Porsches, Mercs and use Krups coffee machines - crazy.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
but that wouldn't suit the Offended by Everything brain dead minorities agenda would it.....

You appear to be the one forever getting offended about something, though I have absolutely no idea what about 😂

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
I’d love to see Ferrari have a seriously poor year, the whole team has an entitled mentality, I honestly think they’ve done more harm than good over the years with their veto, Italians in general are also racially backward
what had the nationality of the team he races for got to do with anything.?
unless of course you'd like to use that same tenuous link on Mercedes or BMW?

You cannot change the past but you can make a concerned effort to address the future and that’s what Mercedes and BMW have shown. Ferrari represent Italy and it has always been that way. They are in many ways to poster child for F1. Lecelrc had an opportunity to stand above the parapet and he didn’t use it, that’s fine but to claim he showed backbone for doing so is wrong.

People try to politicise a stand against racism like the two are connected. If you think it’s controversial to take a stand against a basic human right despite the criticism then you need to have a look at yourself. That’s all I have to say on the matter.

scub

Banned
You appear to be the one forever getting offended about something, though I have absolutely no idea what about 😂
point being if you're going to pick ridiculous links to suit your narrative you may as well call the whole world out as they'll all he guilty of something if you look hard enough.
& yes I'm offended by pr1cks with issues sticking their noses into aspects of life that have nothing to do with their perceived problems. 😇

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's actually interesting, lol 8-| I thought it would have been a wee bit faster this weekend, but at least qualifying times were down by almost a tenth :innocent:

They're basically running the same cars so you wouldn't expect any big drops in lap times.

I guess between all the general mayhem and Mercedes nursing both cars home there might not have been that many opportunities in the race either.

Reactions: DC.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
so happy to see McLaren back on form. Haas on the other hand continue to underwhelm

good to see they are on the up again. Mercedes engines next year and hopefully finally get the wind tunnel built. All looks to be heading in the right direction.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.