F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
I am as excited as when Schumi came back. Hopefully the car isn't as underwhelming as he had on his return.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Added interest to the midfield scrap. A lot of the younger drivers will be happy to get the chance to race against him.

Not sure on Fernando’s reasoning behind it all though. ^o)

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Added interest to the midfield scrap. A lot of the younger drivers will be happy to get the chance to race against him.

Not sure on Fernando’s reasoning behind it all though. ^o)

It's a gamble for the 2022 regulation changes. If Renault gets them right, he'll get his shot at another WDC. Otherwise, he gets a fat paycheck for driving two seasons in F1.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Hard to be that definitive. Based on his first season back, Schumacher you'd have said the same of. By 2012 he'd got one, and should probably have had another two on top of that.

Talent is likely still there for Alonso, just depends on how Renault can progress. Budget is there, just not sure if the talent is at Enstone.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Can't see him on a podium other than the odd fluke. Renault are broke and haven't been a Championship challenger in the entire hybrid era.

I guess Alonso might bring more cash to the team and that will help both of them. May be enough to get them back to "quickest of the rest", but more than that?

And I'm not sure the rule changes will affect things that much. Certainly not the "budget cap".

Actually, the gamble might be that Mercedes call it a day before the new rules kick in. That would be the biggest leveller of them all.

F1 is literally costing Mercedes a fortune, they have already achieved way more than they wanted to do. Do they really want to commit to another 5-10 years of spending on, let's face it, a dinosaur of a sport with zero relevance to their main business?

Last edited:

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
F1 is literally costing Mercedes a fortune, they have already achieved way more than they wanted to do. Do they really want to commit to another 5-10 years of spending on a dinosaur of a sport with zero relevance to their main business?

Are you sure? I thought F1 cost Mercedes almost nothing. Something like £20 million which is very little for the world wide exposure they get.

Edit:
This is old data now but says Daimler contribute less than £40 million but get the equivalent of $3.7 billion in advertising.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Are you sure? I thought F1 cost Mercedes almost nothing. Something like £20 million which is very little for the world wide exposure they get.

They spend well over $400M every year just on running the team. And then there is r&d, engines, etc., which are in separate companies and on top.

Some will be covered by sponsorships and prize money but it's a good bet it costs Mercedes a good bit more than £20M to win championships.

If teams could win championships on £20M then everyone would be doing it and there would be no talks about budget caps, etc.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Renault want to break into that top 3 (although it may be top 4 with McLaren by the time Renault get themselves sorted) and need someone who can grind out the results. Alonso's a safe pair of hands to do that. Alonso was close to getting Ferrari to a championship and often got it to the end of the race where it didn't deserve to be. Vettel has clearly shown himself to be incapable of following team strategy or racing cleanly in the midfield which doesn't help Renault with their goals. The only other candidate for the job would have been Hulkenburg, but I'm guessing the Alonso name may also bring in heftier sponsors. I wonder if he's still gonna try for the Indy500 when it comes about again.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d

Edit:
This is old data now but says Daimler contribute less than £40 million but get the equivalent of $3.7 billion in advertising.

F1 has been great for Mercedes' brand. The AMG line-up now appeals to a much wider demographic, and I'd bet the average age of a Mercedes driver has dropped significantly since their involvement in F1.

Going by that article on Autosport, for Mercedes at least, it does seem fairly financially viable to race.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
They spend well over $400M every year just on running the team. And then there is r&d, engines, etc., which are in separate companies and on top.

Some will be covered by sponsorships and prize money but it's a good bet it costs Mercedes a good bit more than £20M to win championships.

If teams could win championships on £20M then everyone would be doing it and there would be no talks about budget caps, etc.

But with the budget cap coming in Mercedes no longer need to spend that cash any longer.

This dashes my hopes that GR would get the other Mercedes seat and Bottas would move to Renault.
Where does Vettel go now? He is running out of options very quickly!

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
u4xph-5647641189d15.jpg

scub

Banned
You know why this is hilarious because actually it’s Tommy Hilfiger. Maybe next time fact check before you post.
as should you since a 10 second google search brings up Tommy Hilfiger as one of the many brands using slave labour in Asia 🤦‍♂️

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.