F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Seen an onboard G meter with Hamilton, pulling over 5G (not the COVID causing one... I joke) several times through the corners!

heard a comment from brundle saying he thinks this is the peak of performance for F1 as next year they plan to run less aero to reduce turbulence for the car following by 10% or so. The conditioning of the drivers these days must be insane.

EE17DC0F-7C5A-412A-9AF9-A9DFFD526DBA.png

Last edited:

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
I reckon we will see a few big crashes with the little run off and lots of gravel!

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Approx 30 secs a lap quicker than a MotoGP bike round Mugello. The joys of downforce....some serious speeds being hit on corner apexs.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
After all that Bottas-bashing last week he's only a few thousandths "slower" than Lewis. Boy can drive, not just making up the numbers (y) He's just up against the best the sport has ever seen.

Actually thought he had the better of Lewis this weekend but then Lewis goes and finds that little bit more again. When you listen to the stuff they go through in finding those times, like maybe going a little slower in one part to save tyres for a later part, adjusting driving style throughout the lap, etc. Lewis is just so good at all that, not just flat out quick but working out exactly how to get the best possible lap.

No real quali surprises really?

Despite the amazing track for the drivers I fear it could get a bit meh tomorrow... The odd DRS pass but unlikely to be much action through those fast corners?

We'll see who nails the start.

scub

Banned
After all that Bottas-bashing last week he's only a few thousandths "slower" than Lewis. Boy can drive, not just making up the numbers (y) He's just up against the best the sport has ever seen.

Actually thought he had the better of Lewis this weekend but then Lewis goes and finds that little bit more again. When you listen to the stuff they go through in finding those times, like maybe going a little slower in one part to save tyres for a later part, adjusting driving style throughout the lap, etc. Lewis is just so good at all that, not just flat out quick but working out exactly how to get the best possible lap.

No real quali surprises really?

Despite the amazing track for the drivers I fear it could get a bit meh tomorrow... The odd DRS pass but unlikely to be much action through those fast corners?

We'll see who nails the start.
the best there's ever been....
I'm out 🤦‍♂️

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
the best there's ever been....
I'm out 🤦‍♂️
I mean, it's more refreshing than the same sort of tripe being said about Senna...

Regardless of social media posts outside racing Hamilton is bloody excellent. The sport has changed from the 70s and is much more a 'professional' sport. Like him or loath him Hamilton has continued that while taking it a step further than what Schumi started.

scub

Banned
I mean, it's more refreshing than the same sort of tripe being said about Senna...

Regardless of social media posts outside racing Hamilton is bloody excellent. The sport has changed from the 70s and is much more a 'professional' sport. Like him or loath him Hamilton has continued that while taking it a step further than what Schumi started.
never doubted his talent. that's why he's been at top teams his whole career.
but whenever he wins a title in a 2nd or 3rd row of the grid car come back to me.
Schumacher did twice.
he also never lost to a team mate in the same equipment.
Hamilton lost a title to niko in the same car who wouldn't have got a drive in any other top team at the time. etc etc.
yes I detest him but I can see his undoubted talent.
but best ever.... f**k off.
no way.
edit - sorry Schumacher did the year he broke his leg & only did half the season.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Schumacher did lose to a team mate, lost to Rosberg in the three years they were at Mercedes.

He was still a good driver mind at that point. That was shown by how well Rosberg subsequently fared against Hamilton.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Big gap between vettle and le clerc.

Haas really haven't got their stuff together this year at all. I wonder will the stay in the sport much longer?

scub

Banned
Schumacher did lose to a team mate, lost to Rosberg in the three years they were at Mercedes.

He was still a good driver mind at that point. That was shown by how well Rosberg subsequently fared against Hamilton.
correct but not relevant & you know it lad 😆

Zach57

RMS Regular
I don’t understand the track limits, last week everyone was getting times removed and the commentators were talking about drivers getting warnings about going over the line during the race. I just watched Hamilton’s pole lap and he went over the line 4 times so why only do it for some of the tracks ?

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
they don’t have all the sensors that a normal track would have . so it’s to hard to monitor

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Haas have signed the new Concorde agreement, @big_pete, so they have committed to 2025 at least.

F1 has changed so much since the days where a driver in a second or third row car could win a race. (Apart from last week) Put any driver in this years McLaren for example and they wouldn’t get it much higher than what Carlos and Lando are currently doing. Might get closer to the podium but definitely not challenging for victories.

…and therein lies the problem with F1 today.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I don’t understand the track limits, last week everyone was getting times removed and the commentators were talking about drivers getting warnings about going over the line during the race. I just watched Hamilton’s pole lap and he went over the line 4 times so why only do it for some of the tracks ?

Don't know, they do it differently on different tracks.

On this track there is gravel and whatnot right beside the track, that sets a natural limit. Step into that and the car is gone.

Other tracks they put great big speed humps out to stop drivers cutting corners.

On open tracks with big tarmac runoffs and nothing to stop drivers taking a wide line or cutting a corner, like Parabolica last weekend, they use cameras to religiously enforce the white line.

Just depends on the different tracks. It's all agreed in drivers' briefings before the race.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
never doubted his talent. that's why he's been at top teams his whole career.
but whenever he wins a title in a 2nd or 3rd row of the grid car come back to me.
Schumacher did twice.
he also never lost to a team mate in the same equipment.
Hamilton lost a title to niko in the same car who wouldn't have got a drive in any other top team at the time. etc etc.
yes I detest him but I can see his undoubted talent.
but best ever.... f**k off.
no way.
edit - sorry Schumacher did the year he broke his leg & only did half the season.

Yea, the year Schumacher broke his leg Ferrari mistakes didn't help Eddie get a championship too from memory!

Schumacher never had a proper proper dog of a car either though really, certainly in his championship winning years. The 1994 and 1995 Benetton wasn't exactly ****, just his teammates couldn't drive it. I'd say his non chanpionship winning years in the Ferrari were more impressive for proving the point eg 1996.

2009 to 2012 Hamilton did seem to go through a bit of a rut, from memory Button beat him in championship standings in 2010 too. After that he did the Schumacher thing and copped the **** on. Yes Nico beat him, once then retired. In interviews with Nico he went through the effort required to do that helped by some reliability and attitude problems in Hamiltons side of the garage.

But still I was and am still a big Schumacher fan.

There is no 'best ever' in my opinion. You just can't compare drivers from different eras of the sport as there are too many variables.

It is hardly a shock that the driver in the best car or best car for part of the season (see Button in the Brawn) becomes the most successful, just like it is hardly suprising that there is a no. 1 and no. 2 driver!

Just realised this makes me sound like a Hamilton fan boy. I'm not 😂, but at this stage kind of want to see him get championship 7 and then 8 to be honest!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
F1 has changed so much since the days where a driver in a second or third row car could win a race. (Apart from last week) Put any driver in this years McLaren for example and they wouldn’t get it much higher than what Carlos and Lando are currently doing. Might get closer to the podium but definitely not challenging for victories.

Was the same then as now, the fastest car and driver always wins apart from the odd random event like last weekend or freak weather or whatever.

For example, Schumacher's "win in an inferior car" - the Beneton might not have been the quickest before, but when Schumacher was there it had active suspension and traction control and what not by working around the ban on all that stuff (cheating in other words), and miles ahead of everyone else.

Once the ban on electronic aids got properly enforced he was away elsewhere.

There was so much blatant cheating back then, and then ferrari running bespoke fuels and tyres nobody else had access to, etc. It's a different sport now (well, for the most part, cough ferrari...). And better for it.

Which is also why it's easier to rate somebody like Lewis above those boys. He's done his championships purely on merit.

Last edited:

pablo

RMS Moderator
Re Bottas in qualifying there is a massive difference in going flat out for one lap with no opponents and actually racing. In the race you need to nail the start, defend your lead, get strategy right,s age fuel and tyres. Hamilton and his crew are better at that. Pumping in one lap in the best car proves nothing really.

show you that Bottas has the same machinery though.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Was the same then as now, the fastest car and driver always wins apart from the odd random event like last weekend or freak weather or whatever.

For example, Schumacher's "win in an inferior car" - the Beneton might not have been the quickest before, but when Schumacher was there it had active suspension and traction control and what not by working around the ban on all that stuff (cheating in other words), and miles ahead of everyone else.

Once the ban on electronic aids got properly enforced he was away elsewhere.

There was so much blatant cheating back then, and then ferrari running bespoke fuels and tyres nobody else had access to, etc. It's a different sport now (well, for the most part, cough ferrari...). And better for it.

Which is also why it's easier to rate somebody like Lewis above those boys. He's done his championships purely on merit.

Ah come on. Interpretation of the regs and clever ways of getting round them is not cheating. It is exactly how you get the sport to progress. Benetton were not the only ones at it. Banning everything does stifle innovation to the detriment of the sport.

Once the TC was banned and enforced he did go elsewhere to drag a comparatively rubbish Ferrari to a championship position they wouldn't have otherwise had in my opinion.

Schumacher is still one of the greatest, he was part of a comprehensive change of the approach drivers and teams took. Hamilton is up there too, despite sometimes being utterly insufferable off track.

Robert

RMS Trader
There is no 'best ever' in my opinion. You just can't compare drivers from different eras of the sport as there are too many variables.

Well said, all types of professional motorsport evolve so quickly with the introduction of different rules, materials and technology. There can only be the best driver in their own era.

Nico knew that championship was a one off for him. It took everything out of him, and it was a wake up call for Lewis to really get his sh!t together. I think we have seen the best of Lewis since then, he knew he could be beaten by someone in the same car and that just drove him to a new level. As said no one would dispute Bottas’ speed over a lap, but his race pace is not consistent.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.