F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Robert

RMS Trader
Great to see the emotion from Lewis when he parked the car. Even after all these championships it still means at least as much to him as ever, especially after a drive like that. Always better imo to see a championship won with a win, makes the celebration all the better. Couldn’t believe the laps done on those inters, they definitely got value out of them.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I’m going to echo what others have said.

Hamilton once again proving his worth!

Yea there’s gonna be detractors saying best car blah, blah, blah. However it’s been said before, it’s no accident that the best driver ends up in the best car! And arguably this weekend, the Mercedes was not the best car!

Hamliton just kept his composure and managed the race and his tyres well, going against the calls to box for fresh inter’s with two laps to go despite having built up enough time for a stop. Those tyres were practically slick by the end!

Great to see Vettel up on the podium and he deserved that today. He started well and drive well, that’s a glimpse into the former world champion as he should be!

Max surprised me today, as others have said, it’s a bit of the old hot impetuous Max!

I feel for Stroll, I know it was a big ask but I feel he did well to hang on to the lead for as long as he did.

Again Bottas proving why he’s the number two driver of Mercedes. Many of those spins he was pinning the throttle as the car started to spin! The man has little composure!

Robert

RMS Trader
Again Bottas proving why he’s the number two driver of Mercedes. Many of those spins he was pinning the throttle as the car started to spin! The man has little composure!
Making the same mistake twice at the same corner was very unforgivable!
Agree with the comment about Max, I’m a big fan but that was a day to forget, definitely a step backwards for him, really thought he had matured past all that.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Think Bottas had some damage from the first lap collision with Ocon, steering was off centre or something but still bad day at the office for him.

Red Bull could’ve had an easy 1-2 this weekend but I guess it’s not the first time Red Bull have made a mess of the Turkish GP 😂

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Think Bottas had some damage from the first lap collision with Ocon, steering was off centre or something but still bad day at the office for him.

Red Bull could’ve had an easy 1-2 this weekend but I guess it’s not the first time Red Bull have made a mess of the Turkish GP 😂
Yea Mark Webber loved being reminded of that! 🤣

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
His bit on the C4 coverage of that corner had me laughing!

Coulthard was on form having a go at the stewards too, and rightfully so!
I never learned what the outcome of that was? If it was for what they showed on C4’s coverage then yea you’re right DC was justified.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I’ve just had a read on the official F1 website about Verstappen’s investigation which reads as follows:

“at one stage after the stewards announced they were investigating him for allegedly crossing the white line at the pit entry.

But after the race the officials decided to take no further action as they were "unable to find conclusive evidence that demonstrates beyond a reasonable doubt that any part of Car 33 crossed completely over the white line separating the pit exit from the track."”

I find it ridiculous that they investigated it at all because there was no intent to impede on anyone coming past the pit exit nor was he trying to gain any advantage! He was struggling for grip, end off!

pablo

RMS Moderator
In a way yes but the rule is the rule. what I find despicable is they couldnt investigate it there and then and instead put the results in question while they dither after the race. Should have been pretty clear cut from the video

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Rule is a rule approach in instances like that is a waste of everyones time.

Agree they certainly dont need to investgate after the race. From looking at it, it was clear he was struggling for grip, one wheel touched the white line at best and didn't gain an advantage, end of story!

This is the first year I have noticed the stewards being very trigger happy to announce that they are investigating after the race for irrelevant racing incidents. It doesn't help the sport imo.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
A rule is a rule is fine, but as with everything a little common sense comes into play. Had the conditions been better, had the track not been an ice rink, it wouldn’t have happened! It’s evident to even us armchair experts that it was the above that led to “the incident”.

stevyg

RMS Regular
What a great race! Maybe oul Bernie was onto something when he said he wanted sprinklers at tracks so they could turn them on during a race to spice it up :laughing:
Perez & Stroll had amazing starts, actually blew me away that they were a pitstop ahead of everyone after just 10 laps. Unlucky for Stroll, those fresh inters just didn't work for him, a bit unfortunate for Leclerc too, that little lock-up right at the end cost him 2 positions. Superb drive from Perez, he has to get a drive for next year, seriously. Thrilled seeing Vettel on the podium, he put that Ferrari exactly where it needed to be for the whole race. Verstappen disappointed me, when the dry line is only as wide as one car you just have to bide your time until the person in front makes a mistake, he kept going off line trying to overtake then was complaining that he couldn't catch the slides. But the worst driver of the day was definitely Bottas, what a mess and holding up Hamilton too when he was about to get lapped.
What a way to win his 7th WDC. That was not his race to win, not even close. He had a few mistakes and lost a few positions but kept his head down and kept pushing. He spent some time trying to figure the track out in those conditions and once he figured it out he was on fire. He went from being a pitstop behind to a pitstop ahead within 30 laps and not because of some sudden weather change or a safety car, just from driving the wheels off that Merc. Masterclass of a race and happy to see him win #7 like that, you could tell how much it meant to him.

KevM

RMS Regular
Why would Ferrari deliberately set him up to fail? That makes no sense at all. They are still paying him to bring home points for both driver's and manufacturer's.

He started off expecting to be #1 and has found himself as a firm #2.

Remember, Ferrari backed him to the hilt at the start, 100% ran him as #1 with Charles as a support driver.

It was only when Charles still outperformed him they eventually switched it around. And getting to that decision took a long time.

That would be a tough process for anyone. Especially for a four time world champion.

But certainly not Charles' fault. Or Ferrari's.

With preferential treatment comes the expectation to perform. It's brutal, and harsh, but that's all it comes down to.

....& yet another blundered 4+ second Vettel pit-stop, they kept the driven wheels in the air so he couldn’t launch. He seems to get 1 per race this past while?!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Didn't see all the pit stops, so much going on... No idea what happened to Vettel. There were a few that were held up by pit lane traffic, including the pit stop masters RB, and some had technical issues with the wheel change.

I don't believe for a second Ferrari are somehow holding him back on purpose.

If anything, in this race, with all performance advantages out the window and all of it down to car set-up (experience) and driver skill he was right up there again. That was great to see. Not holding my breath to be honest, but maybe he can do better elsewhere still and it's just the Ferrari that doesn't suit him?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
This is the first year I have noticed the stewards being very trigger happy to announce that they are investigating after the race for irrelevant racing incidents. It doesn't help the sport imo.

That's Michael Masi for you. I watched the Aussie Supercars for years and he was incharge of it and it was the exact same. Very trigger happy with the investigations and penalties. He always seems to be pretty fair though and applies the rules whoever you are....he was always pretty strict though.

e320mark

RMS Regular
I’m sure some of the tracks that bailed them out this year enabling an F1 season to go ahead aren’t too happy at being left out next year! Some of those tracks have given better racing than the normal tracks!
Sadly F1 like everything else F1 is political and money oriented!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's Michael Masi for you. I watched the Aussie Supercars for years and he was incharge of it and it was the exact same. Very trigger happy with the investigations and penalties. He always seems to be pretty fair though and applies the rules whoever you are....he was always pretty strict though.
Agree!

I suppose a few years ago we were complaining that the rules weren't applied the same, that some got away with murder while others got nailed to the wall, etc. Now it has swung the other way, strict by the letter enforcement of every single rule. And if the rules are strict and inflexible then the judgements become strict and inflexible too.

I don't think the stewards are the problem at all. And it's unfair to blame them.

The real problem is race direction.

Remember, most of these "rules" are decided on a weekend by weekend basis. From track limits, to messing with safety car release points, and all the other shenanigans we have had. All that is ultimately decided by the race director.

The stewards just do as they are told and enforce whatever the rules are for a given weekend.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
I’m sure some of the tracks that bailed them out this year enabling an F1 season to go ahead aren’t too happy at being left out next year! Some of those tracks have given better racing than the normal tracks!
Sadly F1 like everything else F1 is political and money oriented!
I liked Horner’s idea of have a couple of wildcards each season for one time races. I would love to go back to India.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
AF676A57-C4AD-4D3F-8295-B49E371C0DF0.jpeg

Never seen a drivers thumbs that that before. Vettel and Hamilton post race. Just goes to show how hard it must have been out there.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.