F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
As far as I know the only person to ever be penalised for financial dealings in relation to knighthoods is old Fred Goodwin. And he was penalised for being in charge of the biggest banking ****-up in history. Not for his personal affairs. And even then it took years to take it off him.

Sir Jim Radcliffe - the epitome of dodgy (but legal!) financial dealings and (legal!) tax avoidance
Sir James Dyson - moving jobs and manufacturing out of the UK to exploit cheap labour and taxes in Asia

And that's before you look around the House of Lords...

Sure, all persons of high moral standards with only the best interest of the country at heart, no self-interest at all :joy: 🙈

Grow up, lol 😅

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
As far as I know the only person to ever be penalised for financial dealings in relation to knighthoods is old Fred Goodwin. And he was penalised for being in charge of the biggest banking ****-up in history. Not for his personal affairs. And even then it took years to take it off him.

Sir Jim Radcliffe - the epitome of dodgy (but legal!) financial dealings and (legal!) tax avoidance
Sir James Dyson - moving jobs and manufacturing out of the UK to exploit cheap labour and taxes in Asia

And that's before you look around the House of Lords...

Sure, all persons of high moral standards with only the best interest of the country at heart, no self-interest at all :joy: 🙈

Grow up, lol 😅
To be fair the Lords seem to be more keen to look out for the country than the commons but thats a whole other thread 😂

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Even if I attempted to like him, then you read stuff like this. I mean WTF was he thinking!

Lewis Hamilton loses three-year-legal battle to ban luxury watchmaker's 'Hamilton' brand name that firm has been using since 1892​

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Once you get past the typically Daily Mail title. It was a fairly normal trademark case.

A bit daft, but trying to keep avenues open once out of F1 at a guess.

Ohhh, that was an EU Court ruling, going to be some really conflicted people who hate everything the EU do, but also hate Hamilton 😂

scub

Banned
Even if I attempted to like him, then you read stuff like this. I mean WTF was he thinking!

Lewis Hamilton loses three-year-legal battle to ban luxury watchmaker's 'Hamilton' brand name that firm has been using since 1892​

shoosh.... all lies..

the nerve of that company taking his name only a century before he was sent down from the heavens to teach humanity the error of their ways...
arise Sir Arsewipe.... 🙄

stevyg

RMS Regular
Once you get past the typically Daily Mail title. It was a fairly normal trademark case.

A bit daft, but trying to keep avenues open once out of F1 at a guess.

Ohhh, that was an EU Court ruling, going to be some really conflicted people who hate everything the EU do, but also hate Hamilton 😂
Looks like it. They tried to ban 'Lewis Hamilton' watches and lost so they registered 'Hamilton' that Lewis' legal team deemed in bad faith/out of spite. Lewis tried to ban them and he lost.

scub

Banned
Looks like it. They tried to ban 'Lewis Hamilton' watches and lost so they registered 'Hamilton' that Lewis' legal team deemed in bad faith/out of spite. Lewis tried to ban them and he lost.
yes I'm about to take out a civil suit against Citizen,
cos I'm one too - the selfish bastids.... 😂

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Without Lewis the issue of racism and inequality would never have been addressed by motorsport in general, never mind F1. It still has a long way to go but at least it has made a start.

OK for the majority of us (white & male) (Huge assumption I know) but for so many others around the globe it’s completely different.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Just a reminder.

Tax evasion = illegal
Tax avoidance = legal. Immoral but legal.

Jimmy Carr got hounded in the press for tax avoidance but it's a perfectly legal thing to do. I'm not too sure on the details of Carr's, Hamilton's or Beckham's financial dealings, but I don't really care.

It's a bit rich to berate someone in the public eye when the likes of Amazon, Google, Facebook pay a paltry amount of tax here.

That on top of this has nothing to do with F1 or Hamilton's achievements on track.

why is it immoral if it is legal lol?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
It is actually a really good question.

It is still legal for a parent to beat a child in this country. To me that is as immoral as it gets. But clearly some think it's ok here.

It's illegal to break the speed limit, but I would guess most of us don't find it immoral.

Tax avoidance - there is an outcry when someone in the public eye finds ways to avoid tax, but I would guess most of us are happy to work or pay cash to avoid tax.

When a tax avoidance scheme is only available to the rich and those in power, and not to everyone, then it probably gets immoral to a lot of people.

It's the difference between the letter of the law and the intent of the law.

Or the letter of the law and some perceived "unfairness".

Or the law as a societal construct, vs "morality" as a personal judgement.

Etc.

Philosophy is fun, lol 😅 8-|

Last edited:

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Social media is a curse these days for anyone doing well. Latest was seeing an article from Ronnie O’Sullivan... a bloody snooker player albeit an excellent one. Seen someone comment “If you can play it in the pub it's not a sport” 😂

His off track antics are constantly overshadowing any good he does, he donates a hefty chunk of money to 6 large charities and that’s with just a quick google skim.

If he wins 10 championships he will still be slated for off track things 😂 imagine if social media was as large back when Schumacher was winning time and time again.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z

ohhhhhh so many people gonna get triggered.....

But... but.... the tax thing.... but but his clothes
Karen GIF by moodman

Side note.....

gonna ring bet Fred & get the odds on him raising the BLM arm & fist whilst on the knee being knighted lol

Maybe he is just the greatest troll of them all?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Edit: Still don't see any official announcements? Looks like the usual speculation as yet. I guess we'll know when the actual lists have been published.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Halo saved his life surely. No Halo, no head.

But, for a car to split in half must have been some leverage once it was between the two sections of armco

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.