F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Danish GP?

The whole season is postponed for now. Likely be a short season after the normal summer break would be my bet, but that's just a guess.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Dutch, Spanish and Monaco GPs all postponed. Summer break brought forward until March/April and regulation change pushed back until 2021.

Budget cap is still proposed for next year as is a freeze on the chassis and gearbox from this year.

I really think F1 will struggle to justify itself when we all get through this Coronavirus crisis. Manufacturers will be cutting a lot of jobs but seen going racing round the world spending hundreds of millions of euros.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
F1 is expensive but a drop in the ocean for large manufacturers. Basically in the PR budget.

But yes, a lot of people and businesses struggling already after just a few weeks. There is no sign the current restrictions on movement are going away until summer at best. By that time the world economy will be a basket case, infra like travel and hospitality wiped out, most businesses in dire straights, and most people out of jobs or on unpaid leave.

It will take a very long time for the world to recover. Not from the virus itself, but from the consequences of the actions taken around the world.

That's my wee ray of sunshine today 😅

Seriously though, what is happening right now is catastrophic.

Maybe what everyone will need when we come out of this crazy madness is exactly F1, football, tennis, whatever, to take our minds off it all...

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Any manufacturer even thinking about its future in the sport will be gone at the nearest opportunity. I would almost bet now that Mercedes will leave at the end of 2021. They already had plans for 10,000 job cuts before all this kicked off.

Bleak times ahead for motorsport:pensive:

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Update that Monaco is now cancelled altogether.

“No longer tenable” to run it on another date.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R

Given how much I watch GT sport races online, I would probably watch this too.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
how crap was it ?
I had thought it would be some of the current crop of f1 drivers at least, since it was f1 themselves promoting it.

Instead, it was a mix of F1 esports racers (I know most of the gt sport ones, not these guys), some ex f1 racers (Johnny Herbert, Nico Hulkenberg, Estoban Gutierez) then a mix of celebs like Liam Payne, Chris Hoy and Ian Polter.

It was supposed to be a single qualification period and then a half distance race but due to two racers having tech issues, it ended up being quarter distance.

The race itself was predictable - first lap carnage and the esports guys taking the lead.

I'm not sure what this was supposed to prove or who it was aimed at, other than to fill some time on sky f1. 🤷🏻‍♂️

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
other than to fill some time on sky f1. 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is what it was for, lol, purely for entertainment.

Suppose it's worth them trying, maybe the format can be tweaked or whatever. Won't replace actual racing any time soon.

stevyg

RMS Regular
They should mandate the current F1 grid need to all participate in some races together. Not for anything other than entertainment. They all spend a ton of time on simulators so it won't be much different.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

Good to see Bernie is still shafting people ...
Not what I first thought when you said shafting, thought it be about money 😂

also his eldest daughter is 65. His wife is 44 😂

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
All sorts of random rumours about how the season might play out. Maybe start in Austria with no spectators, possibly two races at Silverstone. All still up in the air.

Who knows, lol.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Mrs Crow and I happened to notice that her favourite driver, Daniel Ricciardo is destined to become a free agent at the end of the season and we wondered has the renault move perhaps soured a bit and he's not willing to sign up again, which then moved the discussion onto how Lewis did something similar years ago when moving to Mercedes which at the time seemed like lunacy but in the end turned out to be one of the most inspired moves by any driver.

Renault prior to last season had been looking like they might break into the top 3 but that unfortunately didn't pan out, which then got me think that unless you're a driver for one of the top 3 (Ferrari, Mercedes and RedBull), you really don't have much hope of getting a win, let alone a championship shot and it really is a championship for engineers etc.

This then got me thinking, "when was the last time a team other than the top 3 won a GP?" and given it's lunchtime and I'm bored, I trawled the wikipedia F1 season records. And the answer?

Australia 2013, Kimi Raikonnen for Lotus Renault.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Mrs Crow and I happened to notice that her favourite driver, Daniel Ricciardo is destined to become a free agent at the end of the season and we wondered has the renault move perhaps soured a bit and he's not willing to sign up again, which then moved the discussion onto how Lewis did something similar years ago when moving to Mercedes which at the time seemed like lunacy but in the end turned out to be one of the most inspired moves by any driver.

Renault prior to last season had been looking like they might break into the top 3 but that unfortunately didn't pan out, which then got me think that unless you're a driver for one of the top 3 (Ferrari, Mercedes and RedBull), you really don't have much hope of getting a win, let alone a championship shot and it really is a championship for engineers etc.

This then got me thinking, "when was the last time a team other than the top 3 won a GP?" and given it's lunchtime and I'm bored, I trawled the wikipedia F1 season records. And the answer?

Australia 2013, Kimi Raikonnen for Lotus Renault.

went looking there myself as couldn’t believe that but true.

2012 was the last varied season, 5 different manufacturers won the first 5 races. 6 different manufacturers won a race that season with Kimi in lotus Later on in the season. Button and Hamilton were still in McLaren then.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.