F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
Hearing rumours that Vettel is in talks with Racing Point for next year with the Aston Martin rebrand and Perez possibly moving to Red Bull. Perez rumoured to have exit clauses should he be offered a seat at one of the big 3.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Hearing rumours that Vettel is in talks with Racing Point for next year with the Aston Martin rebrand and Perez possibly moving to Red Bull. Perez rumoured to have exit clauses should he be offered a seat at one of the big 3.
The boss of Racing Point (I cant remember his name) already discounted Vettel. Said that they were flattered to be associated with his name but that they were happy with the drivers they have.

Now I know that F1 is very flighty and it can all change quickly, but I genuinely don’t think anyone wants Vettel. He’s gonna cost too much and cause too much trouble as @svensktoppen has already said.

His ego is writing cheques that his ability is no longer able to cash.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Vettel was spotted talking with Dietrich Mateschitz at the weekend. It's known that he's a fan of Vettel so don't discount him getting him back to where he was successful.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
The boss of Racing Point (I cant remember his name) already discounted Vettel. Said that they were flattered to be associated with his name but that they were happy with the drivers they have.

Now I know that F1 is very flighty and it can all change quickly, but I genuinely don’t think anyone wants Vettel. He’s gonna cost too much and cause too much trouble as @svensktoppen has already said.

His ego is writing cheques that his ability is no longer able to cash.

F1 is so fickle. According to Ferrari they wanted to keep Vettel but the coronavirus changed things despite never actually entering negotiations prior.
Vettel is a big name and Aston Martin need a face for their brand. It don’t even think it’s about money either because he had talks with McLaren and they don’t pay drivers big money. Certainly I don’t think he expects to get Ferrari money. Red Bull don’t pay massively either and very much rely on performance bonuses in their contracts and he was interested in a drive there.

Racing Point also have an option to void Perez’s contact up until the 31st July for next year and thereafter. Perez may end up at Haas with his Mexican money it would be good for Haas commercially however I think Perez deserves more and personally hope he stays or gets a better seat.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Would be interesting to see Vettel at Aston Martin but it would be harsh on Perez as his sponsorship money over the years has, arguably, kept the team going. Plus it was his side that put them into administration before the Stroll’s came along.

If Perez is to leave I’m sure he will have plenty of suitors - not only for his obvious talent but for the $ he brings.

Honestly I’m not sure swapping Vettel for Perez is a great move. Swapping Vettel for Stroll, now that would be good but we all know that isn’t going to fly with Daddy owning the team and all.

Robert

RMS Trader
Perez must be getting on a bit now, he never got the break he deserved, would be nice to see him get a good drive, saying that the racing points have come a long way and you wouldn’t know what would happen.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
He had the McLaren drive but it was at the wrong time for him. Doesn’t get a lot of credit which is strange.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
I think this will be a make or break weekend for Albon on typically one of Red Bulls stronger circuits. On a personal level I like him but not sure if he is cut out for it. The Red Bull does seem to be particularly difficult to drive because both Gasly and Albon who have impressed in the Toro Rosso have struggled to adapt.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Albon does seem very meh but max is just driving the doors off the car so they can’t compete. Maybe vettel isn’t a bad shout but he doesn’t seem to do well in a non dominant car making rookie mistakes etc. I don’t think it would end well for him.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The RB is built for Max and everyone else struggles. No idea if he just has a unique style nobody else can replicate or if he's just that much better than anyone else.

Probably a bit of both.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
A car will have a fundamental balance though that will suit certain driving styles. Plus how the car deals with tyres, etc., will also dictate driving styles.

Some drivers adapt better to particular styles.

If you have the whole outfit set up around you, like Max and Lewis, then the team can build the best car specifically for you already at the design stage. And then the second driver will have to adapt to that. That's really the biggest difference between "number 1" and "number 2" drivers.

It doesn't mean a team builds the car a driver wants. It just means the team builds the car they think that driver will be able to get the best out of.

The very best drivers can get the best out of anything. Then the team can basically just build the fastest car they can knowing those drivers will always be able to adapt. Probably only Max and Lewis in the current line-up. Maybe Alonso as well with his head in the game.

Last edited:

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
As a company, yes but Lawrence Stroll and friends are pumping billions into it and the F1 team. New F1 factory is being built at the moment.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
So far anyway they just seem to be in a different league.

Hamilton again showing in the same car he’s far ahead of Bottas. Was hoping Bottas would push him this year after the Austrian GP win but Hungary and then the British GP next. Looking good for Lewis

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Their case is being decided in the next couple of weeks.
At the moment it only relates to the brake ducts, Racing Point would need to design and manufacture new ones themselves if they are found guilty. But I would imagine if that happens Renault will push to have other components changed too.

At least it’s something to talk about 😆

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.