F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Fan letter to Max from Jolyon Palmer :innocent:

He is right, of course. Only problem is Max easily has the biggest head of the Paddock, even bigger than Vettel or Alonso and that takes some doing, lol 😅 He will be totally unbearable once he starts winning, lol, which he will without any doubt.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Ferrari have apparently found an issue with Vettels chassis and are giving him a new one.
Still, liked this...
A10B088D-B4AC-4A2D-B336-59388D9309E8.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Ferrari have apparently found an issue with Vettels chassis and are giving him a new one.
Still, liked this...
View attachment 290942
I just read the article, and crucially for me it states:-

Head of chassis engineering Simone Resta said: "It would not have had much of an effect on performance."

Now I don’t know one way or another. I’ve been fairly vocal on Vettel’s failure to compete, but I do have to wonder if it’s a Ferrari Engineer’s word against a four time world champions word?

I don’t mind admitting I’m hoping the engineer is right so that I don’t have to eat a slice of humble pie! Lol

pablo

RMS Moderator
I dunno with Vettel, I think his championships were largely won by Newey. I dont tend to agree with the "its the car" arguments (recently its all you hear about Hamo) but I think Vettel has failed to shine since RB stopped winning. You only have to look at Max/Charles to see how they are hauling ass in an inferior car. I also hear a lot about how Ferrari are favouring Charles over Seb but tbh Seb was fluffing it before that switch happened. Although, in saying that I do believe a lot of his fluffs were down to pushing the car too hard to stay competitive which I kinda applaud. Id rather see someone push for the win and spin out vs settle for 3rd and cruise it home.

like I say, I just dunno with him

stevyg

RMS Regular
They should have a new series called Formula Unlimited. No BS Communist regs and whiners about other teams exploiting loopholes. Have an unlimited budget, unlimited tyres, unlimited development, unlimited potential to make the fastest cars around a track. As long as 4 wheels stay on the ground and no weapons, lets see who really is the fastest when they let them out of their cages.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
They should have a new series called Formula Unlimited. No BS Communist regs and whiners about other teams exploiting loopholes. Have an unlimited budget, unlimited tyres, unlimited development, unlimited potential to make the fastest cars around a track. As long as 4 wheels stay on the ground and no weapons, lets see who really is the fastest when they let them out of their cages.

Like the old can-am days 😎

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird

like Tommy Tiernans drug Olympics 😂

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR

Like the old can-am days 😎

Was just going to say, that's CanAm he is describing there, or group B rallying 😁

It was great fun but total mayhem 40 years ago, lol. Don't want to know what it would be like today!

I'll take a stab.

Closed cockpit and closed wheels, so an LM series prototype rather than an open wheel formula racer​
LM-style ground effect aero​
All electric drive train​
Four-wheel drive​
Custom exclusive rubber (like Ferrari used to have in the Schumacher years :innocent:)​
That's basically a VW ID.R then, lol 😎 Fast? Oh yes! Exciting? Not so sure...

For a bit of spice 😁
30ft high wings a la Lotus​
Chapparal style fans​

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I think F1 should always be open wheel / open cockpit.

Choice of tyre manufacturers, refueling in race (might be an issue with the electric side of things).

Engine free as long as within a certain capacity range and has the hybrid guff tacked on.

Brakes, suspension etc free within certain allowances.

Aero free, but all cars share same base tub. Would be interesting to see different takes on aero.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
Can you imagine working for Honda and Renault and going to sleep every night dreaming of the inside of Mercedes power unit. It would make you want to cry. It’s absolute desperation when the FIA have to stop quality modes. How can Honda and Renault so mediocre and how come they haven’t poached any Merc staff! That’s usually what happens...

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Be interesting to see where Andy Cowell goes post-Mercedes-AMG.

Hopefully not Ferrari.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Can you imagine working for Honda and Renault and going to sleep every night dreaming of the inside of Mercedes power unit. It would make you want to cry. It’s absolute desperation when the FIA have to stop quality modes. How can Honda and Renault so mediocre and how come they haven’t poached any Merc staff! That’s usually what happens...

I don't think it's technical prowess to be honest.

That's part of it. Resources is another. But more importantly is the way the development rules are set up. With severely limited testing it's basically impossible for anyone to catch up.

Mercedes had the rules written for their concept, so they had a head start and have been protected by the development restrictions from anyone catching up.

In fact the only manufacturer that might have challenged was Ferrari as they were in on it from the start. But even they don't have even a fraction of the resources available to Daimler-Benz. They had to cheat to even get close.

Renault have even less resources.

Honda were late to the party and never stood a chance. In fact they have done an amazing job considering the development constraints they work under and how late they entered. They got a lot of flack with McL but we now see with RB that it wasn't Honda that was the problem.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
I don't think it's technical prowess to be honest.

That's part of it. Resources is another. But more importantly is the way the development rules are set up. With severely limited testing it's basically impossible for anyone to catch up.

Mercedes had the rules written for their concept, so they had a head start and have been protected by the development restrictions from anyone catching up.

In fact the only manufacturer that might have challenged was Ferrari as they were in on it from the start. But even they don't have even a fraction of the resources available to Daimler-Benz. They had to cheat to even get close.

Renault have even less resources.

Honda were late to the party and never stood a chance. In fact they have done an amazing job considering the development constraints they work under and how late they entered. They got a lot of flack with McL but we now see with RB that it wasn't Honda that was the problem.

That’s a fair point about the rules I suppose. I would say Ferrari’s budget is as big as Merc but they maybe just don’t have the expertise. When I graduated from Queens a few years ago there was a PhD student who had just got a job in Ferrari’s engine dept. Mercedes have changed their engine concept a couple of times also which is even more frightening.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Lewis on top form for quails. Racing Point really have a great car this year, wish they would get rid of stroll, imagine what talent could do with that car!

Have RB announced Albon for next year yet? He's a warrior on the track but not bringing in the points that team ruthless will want?

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Albon’s main problem seems to be Saturdays. Gets on great during the race but is always starting around 5 places behind where he really aught to be. Plus Gasly showing a good turn of speed doesn’t help Albon either.

When you look at it Hulkenberg could get a seat in almost every team on the grid. OK he’s not one of the greats but he wouldn’t embarrass himself.

I hope no other drivers test positive for CoVid but it would be fantastic to see him in a Ferrari, Red Bull or even a Mercedes. Just to see what he can do, forget about the whole podium carry-on.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Stroll wasn't exactly hanging around at quali. If he was miles behind Perez I could get the whole thing about getting rid of him in the team but he really isn't.

Still think Hulk should have one of the seats but still.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.