F1 2021

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

MarkM

RMS Regular
f1 testing on 18” wheels

why have they all covers / and what looks like brawn wheel covers for ers??

Space savers you mean?

:no_mouth:
D7733493-D950-4412-BD67-94A2516A7A11.jpeg

56BD7711-F04E-4762-89FC-60CB13478290.jpeg

MarkM

RMS Regular
Why so? Realistically the only one on par with Max, would be a short season if he wasn’t there.

I’m glad he’s about for 2 more seasons. Even if it’s to help George progress.

I’m not so sure, I do believe if he’d won an 8th he’d have called it a day, he’s looked properly exhausted after races, rumours of long covid, I think it’s 50/50 on him returning

sam_9n

RMS Regular
I’m not so sure, I do believe if he’d won an 8th he’d have called it a day, he’s looked properly exhausted after races, rumours of long covid, I think it’s 50/50 on him returning

But he’s signed a new contract for 2 years though mid way through this season?

MarkM

RMS Regular
But he’s signed a new contract for 2 years though mid way through this season?

Retirement scuppers a contract though, look at Rosberg, I’m sure there’s lots of clauses and the fact he’s brought championships to Merc and if you’re done, you’re done, can’t see them standing in his way, would love to see another epic season though

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Yea that’s fair enough. Just my opinion on the way that season finished, I think he’d want another crack at it. Set a new record then go after the first year.

All speculation of course on my part unless George or Max wipe the floor with him haha

MarkM

RMS Regular
Yea that’s fair enough. Just my opinion on the way that season finished, I think he’d want another crack at it. Set a new record then go after the first year.

All speculation of course on my part unless George or Max wipe the floor with him haha

I think he’d mentally checked out until Brazil, the penalties fired him up and looked like his old self again, he’ll want to come back but only he’ll know if he’s capable, he won’t go back to tootle around and be shown up by George. The fact he’s been quiet speaks volumes imo

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Given he was talking about manipulaton over the radio and the biast decision against him, I could understand him retiring on a relative high. Although he constantly surprises me with his conduct, so I reckon he will keep pushing for an 8th.

I can't imagine Max will ever manage that, especially if F1 management are wanting to spice the championship up and keep viewing interesting.

Last edited:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
He’s a true champion. I really want to see him get that 8th title.

I think George will be spectacular in the Merc but it’s Lewis focus and cool head to at seems to make him so brilliant.

Also after that season I would love to see Alonso in a competitive car! Man can he go wheel to wheel! You forgot how good he can be.

Also what a season for Sainz too. I think he is such a likeable guy and a real talent too. Ferrari could be back on form with two very talented drivers

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000

stevyg

RMS Regular
My theory is that he had it in his new 2 year contract if he won the 8th this year he would have retired & Bottas maybe had it in his Alfa contract he might be retained by Merc alongside Russell pending the Championship results. But that's just what I think. Toto won't want to be blind-sided again like with Rosberg and left scrambling for a driver so he will definitely have had open conversations to Hamilton about when he will retire so they are both on the same page.

He’s a true champion. I really want to see him get that 8th title.

I think George will be spectacular in the Merc but it’s Lewis focus and cool head to at seems to make him so brilliant.

Also after that season I would love to see Alonso in a competitive car! Man can he go wheel to wheel! You forgot how good he can be.

Also what a season for Sainz too. I think he is such a likeable guy and a real talent too. Ferrari could be back on form with two very talented drivers
Well said. He stepped up again this year especially towards the end, maybe he's finally getting over COVID and feeling back to his old self. I think George is going to be fantastic, we can't forget Hamilton is 13 years older than Russell. Lewis will be 37 when next season starts which is old in F1 terms, his reactions are much slower, his recovery is longer, his fitness isn't going to be on par with a 23 year old so I think Russell will give him trouble over 1 lap in Quali but in a race Hamiltons experience will shine. George I reckon will toe the line for the most part, if he uses Hamiltons last 2 years in F1 before he retires as a learning curve and stepping stone to build experience instead of trying to fight each other he will be a much much better driver on the other side. There's so much that goes on behind the scenes in terms of car set up & adjustment, all those wee tweaks that make the difference in a race George needs to learn from Lewis.

Max in a much faster car for the vast majority of the season had to finish 1st or 2nd in every race, break the all time record for the most podium finishes in an F1 season, have his team mate to hold him up for 8 seconds & have rule breaking lottery winning luck on the last lap of the final race just to beat Lewis Hamilton. People don't realize just how great he is.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Max in a much faster car for the vast majority of the season had to finish 1st or 2nd in every race, break the all time record for the most podium finishes in an F1 season, have his team mate to hold him up for 8 seconds & have rule breaking lottery winning luck on the last lap of the final race just to beat Lewis Hamilton. People don't realize just how great he is.

So much this!

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Speaking of which, I see Brawn is pushing to have team bosses banned from speaking to the race director during the race!
Personally, I think banning team bosses from speaking to the race director is a daft idea. There is so much communication that is actually needed to keep the sport safe.

That communication channel has only been open to the public this year (possibly last year, can’t remember) but it’s always been going on in the background. There is so much more boring, functional communication that happens over that channel too that we don’t hear, we only hear the juicy bits that liberty media release.

What is needed is a race director with balls. I can’t imagine any of the teams would have had the balls to tell Charlie Whiting not to put out a safety car, he would have soon put a stop to all that.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.