F1 2021

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Was praying max would get fastest lap on the last one and get the WDC lead but maybe next time. Good race and again you have to hand it to Lewis. Little bit of luck but a good patient recovery.
I’m waiting to see the Bottas Russell interview lol.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Thoughts on the big accident? Both drivers firmly blame each other naturally lol. Gutted for Russell being honest, had a great weekend overall. Bottas just want progression forward at all.

Perfect race for Verstappen even after that slight mishap on restart. Going to be interesting with Hamilton all season I feel. Perez, one to forget.

Hamilton, fairly surprised he didn’t close the gap before verstappen pulled to his left at the start. Admitted he was too eager to pass the Williams and slid off. Almost painful to watch any racer trying to find reverse 😂 great recovery drive, bit of luck with the red flag but that’s racing.

Sainz made the best of an average day for him. LeClerc again with a great drive. Norris, agreed on driver of the day, didn’t put a foot wrong defending from LeClerc and Hamilton.

Vettel albeit with issues, and alonso both getting outshone by their younger team mates. Don’t like saying it but I just think Vettel is past his use by date 😶

Reactions: KHI

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Mercedes will just be happy that Hamilton was able to challenge Max/Red Bull on race pace before it all got a bit messy. Rare mistake from Lewis but it reminded me of the DNF he had in China in ’07 when he slid off on pit entry and got beached.

Great to see Norris up there on pure pace and drove perfectly whilst under pressure from Hamilton.

The Bottas/Russell incident was downright dangerous. Hopefully they both watch it back and admit how much worse it could have been. At that speed, on such a narrow track they really have to be mindful of other drivers around them.

I‘d love to see blue flags done away with altogether.

Reactions: KHI

pablo

RMS Moderator
I think Bottas initiated the accident while technically doing nothing wrong. Russell also explained himself a lot better in the after race interview. Bottas is f@@ked this season without the car to carry him.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Have to blame Bottas for the crash. Watch all of Hamilton’s passes with DRS on the same section of track and each time the driving being passed remains to the left. Bottas clearly makes a move to the right, he should have been aware were Russell was and held position like everyone else.

Awful weekend for Bottas, probably didn’t want Russell passing him in a Williams knowing his seats under threat from him!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
It’ll be Russell and Hamilton next year then Russell and Verstappen in 2023. (Maybe)

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Russell has surely got to get that seat.

Hate to see it but Vettel really just doesn’t have it any more, I mean compare him to Kimi and you can see that he has just lost it where Kimi still has that touch of class.

Shaping up to be a belter of a season.

Zac Brown doing a sterling job of turning McLaren around.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Bottas could well find himself in at Aston Martin in place of Vettel. Makes sense to keep Bottas in the Mercedes ‘family’ of teams.

Good chance it will remain this close throughout the year as most teams will focus purely on next year’s car.

MarkM

RMS Regular
No further action on Bottas/Russell
Stroll had a post race 5 sec penalty so drops to 8th
Raikonnens post race penalty gives Alonso a point

Reactions: DC.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Random rain race, lol. Pretty much Lando and Max were the only ones not leaving the track 😅 Well, of the front runners at least, and Max had a go under the safety car :innocent:

Well done Max. Had to work for it and brought it home beautifully.

Silly mistake by Lewis. Very lucky with the safety car, but what a recovery. That wasn't back markers he was passing either, but might as well be.

He and Max really are in a league of their own. Bring it on :cool:

Stellar behind them. Lando, Perez, Leclerc, Russell, they all have it in them. And are all shining on a more level playing field.

Bottas v Russell - 50/50 for me. Yes, Bottas didn't move over. But he was on the racing line and ahead. Russell should have known there wasn't room. Just got a bit over excited.

Alonso doing better than Vettel, but neither setting anything on fire. Outclassed on track by their team mates. And by Kimi who must be 150 years old by now 😅

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Agree, racing incident for Bottas and Russell with arguably equal proportion of blame. Dangerous? Meh, it's motorsport and not like it was a dive down the inside of a corner or outright punting off track, Senna style.

I didn't think Perez shone today at all, bit of a nightmare for him really and more than a little Albon-like.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Bottas v Russell - 50/50 for me. Yes, Bottas didn't move over. But he was on the racing line and ahead. Russell should have known there wasn't room. Just got a bit over excited.
😅
There was plenty of room, and Bottas left room. But the flick right at 200mph clearly unsettled Russell who thought he was going to block him and touched the grass. Too late to back out he could have either held his nerve or moved right. He done the latter and paid the price. Bottas had a lot to lose from being overtaken by Russell and imo he pushed it too far.

Robert

RMS Trader
Let’s hope Russel gets these “experiences” out of the way now and gets into a merc a more seasoned driver and ready to win.
Perez 🤦‍♀️

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Am i the only one that doesn’t see any unnatural move right by bottas? If anything once they get along side each other he drifts left, I think ultimately a racing incident but 90% Russell’s fault, must of thought they were closer and moved too far to the right, can’t see anything to blames bottas (had a shocking weekend though). Russell’s reaction won’t have pleased toto either. Great drives by max and lando though.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Am i the only one that doesn’t see any unnatural move right by bottas? If anything once they get along side each other he drifts left, I think ultimately a racing incident but 90% Russell’s fault, must of thought they were closer and moved too far to the right, can’t see anything to blames bottas (had a shocking weekend though). Russell’s reaction won’t have pleased toto either. Great drives by max and lando though.
I agree, definitely more Russell’s fault than Bottas’. Russell claims he hit a wet part of the track which he didn’t, he put a wheel on the grass. I didn’t see this “flick or jolt to the right” that people (and Russell) are claiming.

Great race though. Cracking drive from Norris and great recovery by Hamilton after a rare mistake.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, agree. I don't see why Bottas would have been under any obligation to just move over. He was in front, on the racing line.

Basically an aggressive overtake on an aggressive defender in a tight spot. Was always a high risk move.

Max was far more aggressive on Lewis in the first corner after the start. Nobody had a problem with that.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
If that didnt happen, hamilton would have found it much toucher to make his way through the whole field and then some, which is a shame, gifted that place in my opinion.
For a change most of the action is up at the front which is great!

Williams must be delighted not to be the whipping boys this season, russel was probably on for a points finish

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Having watched this Who was to blame for the Russell-Bottas crash? I'd say I was a bit harsh on Bottas. The track was only just drying out at the time so you can see Bottas is sticking to the dry line. Can 100% see why Russell moves to the right though as at 295kph everything happens so far that he just doesn't know how much room Bottas is going to leave him if any.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Kudos (y)

The comment from Toto about the possible implications on development with cost caps in place was interesting.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.