F1 2021

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Both Toto and Lewis have said they want to have their contracts done early rather than saving it to the last moment like this year. Haven't seen anything about Bottas. Wouldn't exactly be a huge surprise if they did decide not to renew. Or not, as the case might be :innocent: A bit early to announce driver changes? But then if the decision had been made then why not, like ferrari did with Vettel...

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
More on the tyre failures last weekend. Basically Pirelli blame teams trying to be clever.

And while RB blame Pirelli, they only had themselves to blame for being "clever" and "bending rules". Who would have thought :innocent:

The tyres are designed to run in a certain pressure window. Pirelli stipulate minimum start pressures and temperatures and then use modeling to work out how the pressures increase as the tyres heat up in racing. The teams know this and contribute to those models.

Turns out - surprise - "some teams" have "found ways" to reduce how much the pressures increase as the tyres heat up. And that throws the models, and the tyres ended up outside the safe pressure/temperature window.

So Pirelli will now stipulate running pressures, as well as starting pressures.

stevyg

RMS Regular
They've been saying Bottas was out the minute Russell done his first session in the Merc last year. But it wouldn't surprise me, Merc need a driver who can win even on a bad weekend and Bottas isn't showing that. I think Hamilton & Russell will be a great pairing. But what if Hamilton gets #8 and retires at the end of the year? Which I would do if I were him, whos going to partner Russell?

As for the tyres, its the FIAs fault for not checking. There's a saying in racing - the only rules are the ones that are enforced. Some teams said they have never had their pressures checked during a race day. Teams let some air leak out of the tyres so it keeps the pressure down during the race giving more grip, if the FIA don't check pressures then the teams can do what they want. Lets be honest, if anyone thinks that there's a team out there who doesn't cheat or should I say "bend the rules" in some ways, they don't know motorsport. They are all up to something, trying to push the envelope and skirt the rules. That's racing. It's up to the FIA to either enforce or not enforce the rules.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
One man not moving is Esteban Ocon. He’s signed to stay at Alpine for another 3 years.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Tighter than it looked in practice! Game on tomorrow?

Bottas ahead of Perez :innocent:

With the tin foil on, one might observe that since RB crashed after fudging the tyre pressures, Pirelly put the pressures up again for this weekend. And everyone suffered. Except RB who suddenly found a few tenths on everyone else 🤫

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
What is it with the George Russell hype train?
He had an outing in one of the last races last year in Lewis' car after Lewis caught the bug. With nothing to lose, against Bottas focused on securing second in the championship and not taking risks. And drove circles round Bottas.

So obviously Lewis' success is all down to the car, anyone can win in Lewis' car, Bottas sucks, George is a driving God, etc. 😅 You know the drill :joy:

He'll get the seat eventually and then we'll find out 😎

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Why have Mercedes been doing something different with chosing strategies lately, I. E. picking ***** ones? Were they complacent before.

Regardless, seems the chassis of Bottas car isn't the problem anyway.

KevM

RMS Regular
I think it came more naturally when they were relaxed and in control.
They are possibly under pressure to do the right thing now which is leading to over-thinking and missing the boat on fast decisions.

RB have also been highlighted at operating in the greyest of grey areas of the rules twice now already. Maybe they've hired some of the Ferrari PU technical team as well 🤣

pablo

RMS Moderator
superb result. RB and Merc both gambled. I think Merc had no real choice seeing how they got mugged in the first pitsptop and it nearly paid off.

Brilliant to see 2 x RBs on the podium. And as much as I dislike Bottas he was right to call for a second stop. Im guessing they left him out to protect Lewis in the final laps but he got done over by both RBs pretty easily. Another result lower than his starting position.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
That got a lot more exciting than it looked to be at the start, lol.

Game on for the championship, brilliant 😎

Max pulled a blinder at the first pit stop, that sealed the race. Merc had no option but to go long and hope for the best. Had to leave Bottas out too, all or nothing. Just wasn't enough, nothing left to put up a fight at the end.

Pretty much the reverse of a few races ago.

At the end of the day I think Merc will be happy with 2 and 4 on another rough weekend where they've been so far behind all along. Shouldn't have been on this track though. The new tyre pressures? Or the fact RB are still running their bending wings? Or whatever it was.

Bottas did well, finishing just a few seconds behind Perez. Team radio was not pretty though!

DotD - Max.

Another good one for Vettel, and Ric much better. Still behind Norris though.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Toto looked a bit pissed off every time the cameras cut to him today lol

Haven’t watched any of the post race interviews yet aside from the brief ones just before the podium.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Enjoyed that race. Max was relentless. Hamilton managing those tyres, surely has to be the best at that, others seem to completely fall off the pace altogether.

Felt bad for Bottas, must feel **** knowing you’re a sitting duck to Perez.

Norris again with a good strategy the best of the rest, although near 60 seconds behind 4th place lol!

Norris is my favourite, but I do want Hamilton to get his 8th then retire. It’d be IMO an unreachable target for anyone to hit ever again, although I’m sure people thought the same about Schumachers 7.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Fantastic race today, though I feel sorry for Bottas.

He drove better than he has for a long time and didn’t do his usual crumbling under pressure when it came to Verstappen and Perez. He defended as best he could in a car with no tyres.

Max is my DotD as well, as others have said he was relentless today!

I too want Hamilton to get his 8th title, but I’m beginning to think it’s not possible this season. Merc are off their game and are unable to reply to much of what RB are throwing at them!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.